Elvin Jones Interview from 1968

8Mile

Platinum Member
Wow! I will have to finish reading when I get home, but man, what a find. Nice work as always, D!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Journalist write so much differently today than back then. The thoughts seem to be almost scattered and organized in a "lazy" way. These days, we want our information, and we want it fast. The writing in today's articles is quick, to the point, and written to keep us interested and excited.

Interesting.

JimFiore

Silver Member
The first thing that strikes me about this is the way the writer paints the scene at the beginning. And that scene is not particularly pretty. Here's one of the world's top drummers and he's living in a rather plain, unkempt room in a hotel and running short on cash. And not because he blew all his money, he was getting scale at some of these gigs. Yeesh.

WhoIsTony?

beautifully written piece ... the imagery was amazing

you know how I feel about Elvin, Dave

somehow those few minutes of reading made it feel like he was still here

thank you for sharing

dmacc

Platinum Member
I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.

beautifully written piece ... the imagery was amazing

you know how I feel about Elvin, Dave

somehow those few minutes of reading made it feel like he was still here

thank you for sharing
Absolutely.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Incredible read! I enjoyed that immensely. I love the writing style. That art is so unappreciated these days, as someone pointed out earlier.

I really dug Elvin speaking about his time in Pontiac and Detroit. I had the amazing privilege of seeing Tommy Flanagan perform at the Blue Bird in Detroit about 18 or 19 years ago. I work in an office that's across the street from the city of Pontiac, so the stories have a special meaning for me.

Thanks so much for posting that, D.

dmacc

Platinum Member
Incredible read! I enjoyed that immensely. I love the writing style. That art is so unappreciated these days, as someone pointed out earlier.

I really dug Elvin speaking about his time in Pontiac and Detroit. I had the amazing privilege of seeing Tommy Flanagan perform at the Blue Bird in Detroit about 18 or 19 years ago. I work in an office that's across the street from the city of Pontiac, so the stories have a special meaning for me.

Thanks so much for posting that, D.
Glad you liked it 8! His recorded work with Tommy Flannigan is awesome. Your connection there with the location is super cool. Sort of like when people mention Steve Gadd to me.

opentune

Platinum Member
Great story, imagery.
I found some of it sad in some ways, in the sense of the pay scale and conditions of some of these great musicians.
It seemed jazz did not treat its genius musicians too equally, or some to more than the bare minimum. I mean Miles was not living this way in 1968.

All the same, it appeared Elvin was happy on some level.