Eliminate Snare Buzz From 10" Tom

MoreBeer

Silver Member
I've always had issues with this and could usually find a sweet spot with the tuning of the snare/tom to cut it back substantially. Although I saw a video the other day on snare buzz and the guy recommended taping a small hand towel to the front of the snare along the bottom rim, thus helping to reduce the sound waves from the toms buzzing the snare. Guess what? It works.

D

drumming sort of person

1. tighten snare batter and loosen 10" heads - play tom and check for annoying buzz
2. repeat #1
3. tighten snare-side head - play tom and check for annoying buzz
4. repeat #1
5. repeat #3

WallyY

Platinum Member
I've always had issues with this and could usually find a sweet spot with the tuning of the snare/tom to cut it back substantially. Although I saw a video the other day on snare buzz and the guy recommended taping a small hand towel to the front of the snare along the bottom rim, thus helping to reduce the sound waves from the toms buzzing the snare. Guess what? It works.
Is that like the napkin violinists use on their chin so their teeth don't rattle?

MoreBeer

Silver Member
I wouldn't think it would make any difference. I might try that some time.
I was in shock myself on how well it did work, at least for me. And I didn't use a thick hand towel, just a 14" x 14" thin microfiber cloth and like magic, all buzz is gone. I did have the tuning where the buzz wasn't super intense, although still there and was being picked up in my recordings which was annoying. Got tired of tweaking the snare and 10" tom tuning and decided to try it.