Electronic Press Kit. (E.P. K.)

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I thought I would share my bands E.P.K. with you all just to give an example of this way of promoting your band. The days of a bio and cd are over, the epk is the industry standard these days of getting work and your band out there. Some include dates and other promo stuff but since I already have an official website I put this epk together for getting work. check it out if you like: The link is listed below.

http://youtu.be/Qw-775Br0e4

keep it simple

Platinum Member
As you already know Joe, I'm a fan. I'm taking note of your E.P.K. concept, as I'm looking forward to doing something similar for my band in the future. Did you compose this yourself on iMovie or something similar?

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
As you already know Joe, I'm a fan. I'm taking note of your E.P.K. concept, as I'm looking forward to doing something similar for my band in the future. Did you compose this yourself on iMovie or something similar?
Hey Andy always nice to hear from you. I look foward to hearing from you a lot in the near future. (private joke). Ok anyway, yes I did use I Movie. I had 7 videos shot of the different tunes and then tried to make a nice even flow between some tunes plus add in the graphics and the interviews. I had like 4 versions and settled on the one that is up now. I didn't even us all the songs and I made it a point not to just focus on me. That was the biggest thing. I wanted people to see and meet the players and give a good representation of the band.

I am really surprised that no one has asked questions about this post. I have posted my youtube videos here before so It was by no means a self promotion thing. I wanted everyone to get some idea's about promoting their bands or even themselves as drummers to get work. Hopefully the vibe will catch on and I can help some people. Great question> Keep in touch

Joe

toddy

Platinum Member
nice press kit, very concise.
i take it you have business cards done too?

you might be interested in this if you haven't seen it - http://www.businesscardusb.com/

technology ehh! always useful to have your music on you at all times, never know who you might meet!

8Mile

Platinum Member
Hey, Joe. This is great. I had no idea what an E.P.K. should look like until I saw this just now. Thanks for taking the time to share. I do have a question.

I'm not playing with a band that's up in the same ether as yours. We're just weekend warriors who try to line up gigs for the summer concert series at our local parks, community centers and camping sites. This winter, for the first time, I took on a big chunk of promoting our band and pounding the pavement, reaching out to concert organizers, etc.

Anyway, I found that the organizers in these small-time venues really aren't as up on the technology as I assumed they'd be. My band has a website and is on the social networking sites, but the organizers still preferred to receive a demo CD in the mail over checking out the media on our site. It made me question whether we've been going about it the right way.

Long story short, I guess I'm curious how you go about getting your E.P.K. in the hands of the organizers. Keep in mind that this is a part-time musical project for me and we don't have an agent so we do our own promotion. We've had success mostly because of our reputation, but I'd like to get into some new areas and I'm not sure what the best approach is.

Thanks again, and I love the music in the clip!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Hey, Joe. This is great. I had no idea what an E.P.K. should look like until I saw this just now. Thanks for taking the time to share. I do have a question.

I'm not playing with a band that's up in the same ether as yours. We're just weekend warriors who try to line up gigs for the summer concert series at our local parks, community centers and camping sites. This winter, for the first time, I took on a big chunk of promoting our band and pounding the pavement, reaching out to concert organizers, etc.

Anyway, I found that the organizers in these small-time venues really aren't as up on the technology as I assumed they'd be. My band has a website and is on the social networking sites, but the organizers still preferred to receive a demo CD in the mail over checking out the media on our site. It made me question whether we've been going about it the right way.

Long story short, I guess I'm curious how you go about getting your E.P.K. in the hands of the organizers. Keep in mind that this is a part-time musical project for me and we don't have an agent so we do our own promotion. We've had success mostly because of our reputation, but I'd like to get into some new areas and I'm not sure what the best approach is.

It's fair to say I'm in pretty much the same situation my octodistant friend, so I'm interested in Joe's response to your question too.

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Great question and thank you for your kind comments about the music. Ok, first of all you certainly are not doing anything wrong by having a web site and doing the social network thing. THAT'S TOTALLY GREAT!!! As far as some of the venues just wanting a demo cd in the mail that's fine too. You have to do whatever it takes to get the work right? I will advise you though that what they are really looking for in asking for that cd is how pro you are. The music is important of course but the presentation is what they are checking out. In that case you should send what I would call "a real cd". A duplicated, shrink wrapped cd. DO NOT SEND THEM A CDR WITH SOME TUNES ON IT. You know what I mean? They want a cd you had manufactured to sell at gigs that represents your band. Once again do not send them a cd that you made on your computer or something like that. It should have artwork, credits, shrink rap, a bar code etc. That's what they are looking for. Real Product. Along with that cd you should include a "one sheet". That's basically one sheet of paper giving all the details of your band. Picture, dates, bio's etc.

Also another avenue for epk these days to get them to people without sending them a link is to put your epk on a flash drive and send that. Many musicians I know are doing that these days but yes it can get a bit pricey. You will find that some companies actually offer flash drive reproduction with your own band customized flash drive with your epk on it.

Also check out sonicbids. com. This is a web site where bands post their epks for people to see. They actually host epks Some of them are really cool. check it out you will see what I mean. I didn't go that route because I already have a web site and didn't feel the need to do that, and yes of course that costs money too.

Hope some of that helps you and please feel free to ask questions and chime in with idea's also. Just remember no matter at what level sometimes you have to spend a little money to make some. Personally, I would strap my picture on the back of a donkey and parade that into a promotors office If I thought I could get some good gigs out of it.

Best of luck

Joe

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Also please remember i'm giving you advise from my own experiences. That dosen't mean i am 100% right all the time. Every situation can have a twist to it for sure. Hope the info helps though.

Joe

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Great thread!

I agree the EPK is the way it will go in the future.

A few year I was discussing with some musicians how labels and booking agent don't even want to see a website, they want a myspace page because the formats are relatively uniform, all the info is on ONE page. But then myspace became about as relevant as a used tissue, and there has been a void in "industry standard". A multi-media package that gives a visual and audio experience all in one is clearly the way to go.

My "constructive criticism" would be to keep it shorter. As booking agents and music industry types get 100's of submissions in a given week, most aren't going to want to sit through a 7 minute presentation. I would have also expected to see more about the bands accomplishments, such as venues played or frequency of gigs, any recordings, something that would really me think "this band is THE band I need to book/go see/get involved with"

8Mile

Platinum Member
Joe, thanks so much. I would NEVER have thought that packaging of a CD itself is so important. But, of course, it makes perfect sense now that you mention it. I sometimes get lost in what I'd be impressed by, but I'm a musician and the people who are organizing these shows very likely are not.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience so freely. Gives me a lot to think about!

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Awesome responses guys and glad I could help. I do agree about the length but I knew that when I put it together. Most EPKs are about 4 min long. That's the time length most people say to keep it at. As far as listing my accomplishments, and venues played and everything that would make it even longer so if they are interested they can go to my web site. If you go to my web site you will see what I mean without me sounding like an ego maniac I have a rather large list of accomplishments.

Making it shorter is the hardest part for me, but I might give it a shot at some point. This is turning out to be a very informative thread for all of us. Hope it keeps going with more view points and information.

Joe

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I think this is a great idea. Combine this EPK idea with a free mp3 song & a jpg picture on this USB business card that Toddy is talking about in a previous post. That is a wonderful idea and I thank you guys for sharing, and especially you Joe for starting this thread.

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Yea, this has been great. I hope more people check it out. Its helped me also, its just been a good topic all around. I am surprised though only a few of us chimed in. I probably should have better named the thread. Most people are probably looking at it going "oh man its that Joe Morris guy again making us watch his video's. LOL

Joe