Egos

metal overlord

Gold Member
Luckily enough, my band is all easy going, fan loving friendly people.
Their the people who don't say "where awesome", instead they scream out to the crowd "...And we suck!".

We had our fair share of stubborn people, though. We've went through at least 6 bassists all complaining about how we're not playing what they want to play (Devil Wears Prada, Job For a Cowboy, Escape the Fate), about our extraordinary tour dates (2 shows in two different cities on the same day) and just a whole list of stuff.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
How do you all handle the musicians (or anyone else) with the extemely large, universe-sized egos?

If you're in music, you are bound to run into musicians with some sort of ego problem. It now seems that for every two or three musicians I meet that have talent, that are are decent folks, I run into one or two that are egomaniacs who act like jerks.

How do you all deal with people like that? I'm still having trouble. Thanks!
I tease them incessantly until they realize there's no way I can take them seriously like that.

Sometimes it makes for a BETTER relationship as they know I'm real and not just a push over.

dale w miller

Silver Member
How do you all handle the musicians (or anyone else) with the extemely large, universe-sized egos?

If you're in music, you are bound to run into musicians with some sort of ego problem. It now seems that for every two or three musicians I meet that have talent, that are are decent folks, I run into one or two that are egomaniacs who act like jerks.

How do you all deal with people like that? I'm still having trouble. Thanks!
Realize they have a weakness they are covering up and move on with my life. Seriously, most of those people will not go many places and the few that happen to be in the circle of my town I would simply develop my own circle and avoid them like the plague.

It's like this... the guys in my high school who picked on the little guys were the football players who made 3rd Team All-County. The guy who ended up playing 8 years in the NFL and is a coach for the Jets was cool as hell.

dale w miller

Silver Member
If its a famous player that Im hosting in clinic or helping out, I shrug it off and laugh at him/her about their arrogance later.
Oh the stories I am sure you could tell. I have a few tour tales in my back pocket that a few friends have heard over the years.

baz

Silver Member
...I myself am guilty of being a little egotistical.

It makes up for my lack of talent.

However, being a lousy drummer with nothing more than weekend warrior grey ponytail garage band aspirations helps to keep my ego in check.

Barry

diosdude

Silver Member
I kick them out of the band. The number one thing that people should have for criteria for being in a band is attitude/ego. If someone rubs the band the wrong way, it's just not worth it no matter how talented they are. If the guy with the ego is paying me a check, however, as a pro, i'll do whatever s/he wants me to do.