Ebay dissapointment

lefty2

Platinum Member
A few days ago I bought a 13" pair of old Z hats. When they arrived yesterday, they were really 14" I double checked the size on my ebay page, and they were clearly labeled 13" dyno beats. This morning I had chance to check them to see if I might want them anyway, and nope I don't. They're not bad, but I specifically wanted heavy 13's to mate up with some other 13's that I have already. So I decided to try to get my money back. If they were 13's and I just didn't like them, I wouldn't have problem with that. The return service on ebay says that the seller should contact me within 3 Bus. days. If he doesn't then they will do something. It looks like I'll have to pay for shipping too. I don't think that's right. I'm not the one who made the mistake, the seller did. Have any of you had something like this happen? What was your experience like?

M

Matt Bo Eder

Negative. If the item description states they are 13" and you receive 14", then you shouldn't have to pay for any shipping at all. This is a seller mistake and if you have to pay for anything, that's fraud.

In cases like this I'm usually all over the seller and would even be trying to call him personally at this point to say the item is NOT as described. That's a big deal to eBay and to people who use eBay. So he should either pay for shipping to get them back and give you a full refund, or make good on his description and send you the 13" hi-hats (if he even has that size - don't assume he doesn't). If you will not do either of those things, file a formal complaint with eBay and make them help you work this out, but that's the only time they will jump in - when you and the seller cannot iron it out on your own.

Perhaps the seller realizes he made a mistake and will be willing to work with you to resolve it, give him that chance anyway. But definitely call him on describing his item wrong, and what will he do to make it right. You do not pay return shipping because he screwed up.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Negative. If the item description states they are 13" and you receive 14", then you shouldn't have to pay for any shipping at all. This is a seller mistake and if you have to pay for anything, that's fraud.

In cases like this I'm usually all over the seller and would even be trying to call him personally at this point to say the item is NOT as described. That's a big deal to eBay and to people who use eBay. So he should either pay for shipping to get them back and give you a full refund, or make good on his description and send you the 13" hi-hats (if he even has that size - don't assume he doesn't). If you will not do either of those things, file a formal complaint with eBay and make them help you work this out, but that's the only time they will jump in - when you and the seller cannot iron it out on your own.

Perhaps the seller realizes he made a mistake and will be willing to work with you to resolve it, give him that chance anyway. But definitely call him on describing his item wrong, and what will he do to make it right. You do not pay return shipping because he screwed up.

^^^^exactly what Bo said. If he's a reputable ebay seller he will resolve this quickly with no additional cost to you.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I purchased many items off ebay and only once did I have an issue which ebay took care of.

The seller really does not want negative feedback, especially if he has a 100% feedback score. Have you tried to message him through ebay and tell him they are 14" NOT 13" and you would be happy to ship them back ground and he pays shipping costs. I know if I were the seller and I screwed up and did not want to get bad feedback I would eat the shipping.

If he does not get back to you the ebay resolution center will assist yoo.

Here's what we found for "My item doesn't match the seller's description"

The eBay Money Back Guarantee covers your purchase price plus original shipping for virtually all items on eBay.com. We guarantee you will get the item you ordered or your money back.

You can start communicating with your seller to return the item and get a refund by clicking the Open a request button below.

If you need help on the way, have a look at our help page or contact us by using the link on the Contact eBay tab above.

Good luck

lefty2

Platinum Member
thanks for the replies guys.eBay did provide me with the sellers phone number I think I'll try to call him today.he's rated as an A plus plus seller.I hate to put anything negative on ebay about him because it might be an honest mistake which it probably is.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Ditto to everything posted here. I've used eBay for many years and have only recently had a few purchases that were not accurate. I've found contacting the seller directly and telling him you do not want to issue negative feedback and you're concerned with maintaining both of your eBay feedback track records usually results in a prompt and cordial refund (even if they say item is not returnable). If the seller refuses to cooperate, then open a case with eBay's Resolution Center. They are there to protect the buyers.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Over the last 6 or 8 years or so, ebay has become all about protecting the buyer. If the seller won't make good or gives you any grief, ebay will absolutely take care of you, and penalize the seller accordingly.

Bermuda

harryconway

Platinum Member
I've had wrong eBay items sent to me, a few times. The seller should correct the mistake, and take the shipping cost hit. His fault, and it's the cost of doing business.​

lefty2

Platinum Member
Well, I tried calling the contact seller phone #, that ebay sent me, and it's not a working #. Also I looked at the return address on the box, and it has the some phone #.So on Feb. 5th I can ask ebay to step in, if he hasn't contacted me by then.

Last edited:

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Well, I tried calling the contact seller phone #, that ebay sent me, and it's not a working #. Also I looked at the return address on the box, and it has the some phone #.So on Feb. 5th I can ask ebay to step in, if he hasn't contacted me by then.
You should have a CONTACT SELLER email option in the MORE ACTIONS tab of your Purchase History. Also if you have any correspondence with the seller for this transaction you have a REPLY option in each correspondence. Have you tried emailing the seller? Give him a reasonable time to respond before opening a claim.

M

Matt Bo Eder

You should have a CONTACT SELLER email option in the MORE ACTIONS tab of your Purchase History. Also if you have any correspondence with the seller for this transaction you have a REPLY option in each correspondence. Have you tried emailing the seller? Give him a reasonable time to respond before opening a claim.
Yeah. Most of this stuff can be taken care of via eBay and contacting the seller through them. Keep in mind it's Superbowl weekend so business may not recommence until Monday too. Sorry for your troubles, but I'm sure it will be made right.

lefty2

Platinum Member
when I requested contact information from ebay there was no email address only a phone number . On my contact information there was an email address. So I figure he did not provide an email address with this contact information.

Ekim

Silver Member
evilBay has shifted favour much more towards buyers, to the point where I don't even want to sell on it anymore.

But if a seller screwed up that badly, you're more than justified in returning them for a refund of all of your expenses.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
when I requested contact information from ebay there was no email address only a phone number . On my contact information there was an email address. So I figure he did not provide an email address with this contact information.
I don't even know what you're talking about when you say you contacted ebay to get the contact information.

As Vintage Old School said, you need to,

CONTACT THE SELLER!!!!!

(via the ebay mail system. Think about it...as a seller, would you want your personal email published for any crackpot/crook to easily mine it? That's why eBay -- and Craigslist, for that matter -- have internal email systems that protect individual email addresses)

At the top of the ebay web page, click on "My eBay," then in the dropdown box select "Purchase History." This will show all of your recent purchases. On the right side of your hi hat purchase, you should see "Contact Seller." If it doesn't appear, click on "More Options" to find it.

Good luck with it. As has been said repeatedly, it may very well be an innocent mistake, and most sellers want to make it right. Another approach I have used, when the item was not as described, is to keep the item anyway and get a partial refund from the seller. This, of course, assumes you could use it for something (or resell it yourself).

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Feedback really doesn't mean squat anymore. It used to. But no longer. File the complaint, and report that his contact information is invalid.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I don't even know what you're talking about when you say you contacted ebay to get the contact information.

As Vintage Old School said, you need to,

CONTACT THE SELLER!!!!!

At the top of the ebay web page, click on "My eBay," then in the dropdown box select "Purchase History." This will show all of your recent purchases. On the right side of your hi hat purchase, you should see "Contact Seller." If it doesn't appear, click on "More Options" to find it

That's how I got his contact info from ebay. It showed his and mine. His only had a phone # no email address. I asked to return it, and stated why. It said I should hear from him with-in 3 business days. After that they will help.

WallyY

Platinum Member
That's how I got his contact info from ebay. It showed his and mine. His only had a phone # no email address. I asked to return it, and stated why. It said I should hear from him with-in 3 business days. After that they will help.
It sounds like you already contacted the seller and now you wait for a response.

If you're unfamiliar with Ebay here's the path, which I think you probably did correctly.

Home > My Ebay > Order details > + Show additional actions > Return item.

lefty2

Platinum Member
today the seller sent me a shipping label and apologised for the wrong size. He said he would refund my money as soon as he sees the tracking number showing that I shipped the hi hat back to him.