dying to be heard..

jimtyler

I need to do something. Granted my hearing has deteriorated some, but I can still play. I wear a hearing aid in the real world, watch tv with close captioning, yep, it's just about gone. I've had a good few years playing for schools, but no school clinics in the foreseeable future, I'm in my 60s now, not ready to hang it up.
I try to play at least an hour everyday, usually reviewing old stuff, with a little new stuff thrown in. I'm doing things that have never been heard before (slightly taping the top of double stacked symbals so I can put my stick on the bottom cymbal and ride both cymbals simultaneously, running my bass sixteenths backwards so the hihat is carried on the eighths for example), but have no ability to share with anyone. Should I invest in a new video camera and be satisfied with making videos? Should I try to book more school clinics and keep doing same o same o?
There are a couple of coffeeshop type places in town, I've been real tempted to go that route, but what coffeeshop wants a drum soloist banging around for an hour and a half?
A couple of people that have stopped in to watch me play actually preferred my fooling around jamming on my set to the prepared tunes, said I should post youtubes of me just playing at random, but I tell them that kind of stuff has been done before by better drummers than me. The only thing I really have going is the uniqueness of melodic drumming.
I've done a few folk jigs melodically just for kicks. That is fun, but no one else would be interested in hearing old Irish folk jigs done on a drumset..
Sorry for the rant, just finished a practice session that sounded amazing to me and realized no one in the world has heard this stuff and unless I play out or video it no one else ever will.
Sounds like a brag, in reality I'm maybe an average drummer who found a unique niche. Problem is no one cares. What do you think I should do? Quit? I'm old, getting slower, can hardly hear anyway. Try to go to more schools? Boring, and there are just so many kids you can deal with at one time. Other options?
Retirement is coming soon, so if I want I can spend all my time devoted to becoming better. But why? Who wants to hear an old drummer playing songs on a drumset?(Actually thought about putting together a mellow 2 hour gig of melodic drumming, mallets only and try to book cruise ships as a cocktail performer). Talk about reaching for it.. I need to find an outlet.
No, I can not play with other musicians. That is gone forever because of the hearing loss.. I miss it a lot already. I guess this is a story all drummers must some day face, still love the drums, hearing loss prevents you from playing, want to keep going.
Sorry for the rant, guess I just need some human drummer interaction..

Formless Method

RECORD RECORD RECORD!

Regardless how many times you play out it will never reach as many people as it would if you just recorded the stuff and posted it up on the net. How about do both. But if you only can choose one I would say record and post because more than likely there will not be many people in your area that will appreciate what you are doing, however the net allows those with similar interests to connect all over the world. Like here at drummerworld.

Also God forbid something happened to you those posted videos would keep on going long after you was gone.

Hope this helps.

jimtyler

Thanks,, have you listened to any of my youtube videos? It's not like there viral worthy or anything. I don't think recording alone is the answer, but I would like to have access to better video capabilities. Maybe soon, have some friends that shot me to make a local TV special, they may be up for some more video work.

Toolate

Platinum Member
Vibes? Sounds like a natural side step for you. some learning (if you dont know how to play them yet) which it sounds like you enjoy and most people would love to hear good player for an hour or so. Soft too so low vol gigs would be good.

Maybe a cajon or the dube thing I saw advertised somewhere.

jimtyler

You are missing the point! I'm old. Facing my own mortality (60s are getting up there)
Why would I re-learn vibes for example, I played them 40 years ago in college, have to buy a set, and no one would ever hear me play? What is the point?
All of you are facing this, it's not new. For me, reality has set in. I'm lucky that I do something a little different in the drum world, something few other drummers have ever heard, but it would be nice to have an audience beside the youtube thing.. Any suggestions?

dmacc

Platinum Member
What about playing music in a band setting?

Are there Community bands available in your area?

You're right, it's not common to hire a solo drummer but not uncommon to hire a "group".

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Recording video is a good thing, Jim. What you do isn't really going to be preserved by writing or sound recording. If you want to maximise the impact of your videos you can add mood lighting (or more dynamic lights). As for gigs, maybe a duo with a guitarist and you swap melody and rhythm lines here and there.

It's true, though, no one wants to know what we can do. No, I tell a lie ... a few, maybe a few dozen or a few hundred or a few thou will be interested. The rest only care if the performance directly affects them or is top notch, sexy, athletic or hip. I've written music that is unusual and not quite like anything else I've heard but most people don't care because they like a lot of other music better. Different tastes. So it goes.

The most important thing IMO is that the music is true and sincere. I believe that all musicians at some stage or another should play music that is in no way affected or seeks approval, and is completely uncompromising. To totally go for it and see what comes out.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
You are missing the point! I'm old. Facing my own mortality (60s are getting up there)
Why would I re-learn vibes for example, I played them 40 years ago in college, have to buy a set, and no one would ever hear me play? What is the point?
All of you are facing this, it's not new. For me, reality has set in. I'm lucky that I do something a little different in the drum world, something few other drummers have ever heard, but it would be nice to have an audience beside the youtube thing.. Any suggestions?
I think you're missing a huge point.
You're not old...really, you're not.
Barring serious llness you should be looking at 80-90+
So, you likely have a third or so of your life left.
You seem a fit enough feller both physically and mentally.
You should join a punk band...that would be really cool.
And you'd not struggle to hear that...
:)

mikeyhanson

Silver Member
It sounds to me like you've got everything you need to record your own album of music. You're doing something that most would consider pretty conceptual, it sounds like you have some original material floating around up there, and since you don't want to bother with the YouTube route [can't say I blame you for that], get yourself recorded, and put that sucker out on wax.
I think that would be a lot more satisfying, and you can worry about YouTube and other things if you decide to worry about them later.

I'd put that stuff on vinyl, even if it was never for any other purpose than to do it for purely personal reasons.

....or join a punk band. That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Jim, I've heard and watch your videos several times, I've commented on some of the clips you've uploaded here on the forum, you have something different to offer, have faith in what you do... and at 60+ you're still very young, put up a melodic punk band together and show the world how it's done :)

Be well my friend and Happy New year.

No, I tell a lie ... a few will be interested...

I've written music that is unusual and not quite like anything else I've heard...
Thanks for the correction Grea... at least, for once I don't feel like a "no one" person :) :) :)

The most important thing IMO is that the music is true and sincere.
That's all what matters, anything else is subjective to individual tastes.

Toolate

Platinum Member
I would have to agree with others that you are not that old-

The vibes suggestion was really just the most obvious for a drummer who wants to play but sees himself as a solo act. Plus you mentioned the idea of maybe seeking a short gig at a local coffe house or something and the vibes would be perfect for that since they are more "musical" to most people than your kit might be (easier to transport too- I have seen your rack) and you could play them alone if you cant find a way to get some in-ear monitors (ever tried them?) to work with your hearing situation.

Maybe you could JT it up a little with a hi hat, kick, and a couple roto toms to play a beat of some sort on while you play the song on the vibes. This is what I was thinking. Your style but quieter and more appealing to the masses than just drumming seems to be.

I guess my goal was to address your feeling of obsolescence in a way that might give you some options and I think to be heard, you may have to make a couple changes small or large.

I would love to see you rockin some van morrison on the vibes, keeping time on the hats and maybe feathering a small kick in some small coffee shop and I think you could do it in about a months time. Or join a punk band...;)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Jim, I've both heard & admire your stuff. Your melodic work is wonderful, but I'm a drummer. Outside of those who actually appreciate your craft, frankly, you're a curiosity. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. That said, you're only a curiosity to the masses. You have an audience, it's just that they're wide spread around the globe. The only viable route to them is via Youtube or other recorded media.

It's a pity you don't think playing with other musicians is viable, as I can hear your stuff partnered with other tuned percussion to great effect. I wouldn't be so fast to rule that out. If you can hear your own performance, then you can hear marimba, tongue drums, etc. I really do believe collaboration is the way to go. Thinking about it, tongue drums make a wonderful palate for your melodic percussive work, as they run to a set scale. Why not think in terms of getting serious with recording. I'm not talking about videos, I'm talking about cutting an album. A good studio can get around any hearing deficit you have, & a good engineer/producer will guide the mix for you. Again, I think that needs to be built around collaboration to add some spice & color to your work in the recorded realm. Easier to get other musos in for a single project too, especially with the draw of consigning their playing to an album. Get creative Jim, & stop looking for a way to wind down gracefully! :) :) :)

If you really haven't got the balls or conviction to go for it, then why not consider something in education. Not just school performances, but actual instruction in your craft. I'd imagine that to be both novel & of great interest to young students. Maybe even consider working with people who have sensory deficits (eg. blind kids) or others with challenges who would relish the chance to experience something new, refreshing, & stimulating.

There's always an audience for anything done well Jim, you're just not looking hard enough. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as disrespectful, that's not my intent, but I do think you need to give yourself a kick in the ------

My best wishes, Andy.