DW Stainless Steel or Aluminum Snare Drums

KirbyM

Anybody have any experience with DW's stainless steel or aluminum snare drums? I am specifically wanting input on 61/2 X 14 in both metals.

Wick

Aluminum is definite my preferred over the two, although I don't have any experience with DW

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I'm assuming you have a DW kit,which is why you want DW snare drums.I would encourage you to play Ludwig,Supraphonics and Acrolites(the cheapest but one of the best snares ever made)and Black Magic snares.I would also try a few Mapex snares as well as Tama Starphonic and Metalworks drums.I also kind of like some Sonor metal shelled drums.In my opinion DW does not really knock it out of the park with their snare drums..nice hardware though.

Steve B

KirbyM

I'm assuming you have a DW kit,which is why you want DW snare drums.I would encourage you to play Ludwig,Supraphonics and Acrolites(the cheapest but one of the best snares ever made)and Black Magic snares.I would also try a few Mapex snares as well as Tama Starphonic and Metalworks drums.I also kind of like some Sonor metal shelled drums.In my opinion DW does not really knock it out of the park with their snare drums..nice hardware though.

Steve B
Thank you for your input. I recently purchased a DW Collector's Series kit and after much consideration, went with a 6-ply maple snare. The thinner shell sounds great! Prior to this purchase, I had tried 10-ply maple DW snares, 1/2" and 3/4" DW Super Solid snares, and DW Solid Maple snares. None of them sounded good to me. Even the Super Solid snares did not have a sound that was worth paying $900 versus $425 for a 6-ply or 10-ply.

I currently own 2 Ludwig Supra Phonic, 1 Ludwig Super Sensitive, and 1 Ludwig Pioneer. All of these snares are 5X14. I am looking for maybe a 6.5X14 for higher volume work. In the Atlanta, GA area it is tough to compare snare drums since the stores carry such a limited amount of any particular brand. I have tried a DW 6.5X14 aluminum snare drum, but have not found one in stainless steel. Memphis Drum Shop has a great web site with videos of both drums. For me, it is difficult buying from a video. I would like to compare both DW snare drums along with a Ludwig 6.5X14 Black Beauty.