Dw Lugs UGLY!!!!!

piperdoog

Silver Member
Ok ok before I ruffle feathers here, let me clarify... I LOVE DW sound, which I guess is the main component of any instrument, they are extremely well crafted and have some amazing stunning finishes. BUT... Those lugs are terrible....
I know it's their trademark and would probably never steer away from them as they have been with them back to the camco days... But I would buy a set of these for sure for even more money if you had the option of say some tube lugs or beaver tail lugs..
I'm sorry to ruffle feathers I know I'm going to hear it but man those lugs are ugly...

Sonor best lugs hands down......

v.zarate

Gold Member
i think the "big-ness" (if thats even a word?) is what makes people dislike or find them ugly. dw make the smaller versions now. check out the design series lugs. they are small

FoolInTheRain

I think I'm probably one of 7 people on this planet who not only aren't bothered by the lug design, but actually really like them.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Yep, they're as ugly as a hatful of arseholes.

Sure are a lot of gear-related threads in the General section these days.

camcoman

Ok ok before I ruffle feathers here, let me clarify...
I'm sorry to ruffle feathers I know I'm going to hear it but man those lugs are ugly...

Not that I love or hate DW lugs as a Camco owner, but please why shit all over something like that. Remember the old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Or maybe name your thread Sonor lugs are the best. By the way which of the 3 or is it 4 versions of Sonor lug is the best.

evilg99

Platinum Member
They don't bother me either.
Bit of a troll - ish thread title, isn't it?
Pointless, unnecessary and not helpful.

Neal

Last edited:

Mikeberk1

I don't think this is a troll thread. Although one could perceive it that way. Perhaps a nice discussion on our favorite lug designs? I'm not a huge fan of the DW lugs personally, but appreciate the history and story behind them. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Gretsch USA Custom lugs. Classic. Low weight. The Gretsch New Classic lugs are pretty cool too!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yep, they're as ugly as a hatful of arseholes.

Sure are a lot of gear-related threads in the General section these days.

LOL - I don't really care for them, but I'm not sure they're that ugly.

About gear threads though. Up top, it says, "General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers."

Sounds pretty vague to me.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
LOL - I don't really care for them, but I'm not sure they're that ugly.
Was looking at them at the recent drum show and the lugs take up so much of the drums' visual real estate. A lot of drummers would prefer to see the wood or wrap without big silver polka dots all over.

About gear threads though. Up top, it says, "General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers."

Sounds pretty vague to me.
True. It's just a drag for me because I'm not into gear talk. I didn't start drumming through any interest in woodwork and engineering! So yeah, it's just taste. For instance, I wouldn't complain if someone started a thread on, say, the nature of consciousness in the General area ... but others would :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Not much difference between...

DrumWorkshop...

.... and Natal drums.

It all started with Camco drums...

... fashion just keep going round and round and round :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ok ok before I ruffle feathers here, let me clarify... I LOVE DW sound, which I guess is the main component of any instrument, they are extremely well crafted and have some amazing stunning finishes. BUT... Those lugs are terrible....
I know it's their trademark and would probably never steer away from them as they have been with them back to the camco days... But I would buy a set of these for sure for even more money if you had the option of say some tube lugs or beaver tail lugs..

Which Sonor lugs are you talking about though? They've had different ones over time.

v.zarate

Gold Member
They're definitely going for the cyborg look there, V! Those things look heavy too. Do they add as much weight as they appear to?
well i just compared my dw 10" to a tama rockstar 10" w/ starcast mount and the dw is just a tad bit heavier. the dw does have thicker hoops though

weight is made up in sound.... and they do sound good!