DW collectors series

IBitePrettyHard

At first glance that seems like a great deal. The floor tom size isn't the most ideal and it'd be better to have legs, but it's still not bad.

Looks to be a mid-late 90s DW?

Those cases are an added bonus too.

Whatever you do, do it fast. See if you can check them out in person!

Thanks for the reply. Its very close to me and has been for sale for at least a few weeks and I'm starting to wonder whether no one realises what a bargain it is or there are issues with it. It's only being sold on Facebook though and not eBay which I thought was weird.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Two rack toms, no floor tom. Destroyed bass reso head. No mount for the toms. No snare. Seems about right for three drums.

IBitePrettyHard

It's not unusual to only sell on the Facebook marketplace.

There's any number of reasons it is listed for so cheap, like not knowing what they have, just wanting a quick sale, or thinking the finish and dimensions of the kit won't appeal to many people.

Just examine the kit, and pay the most attention to the bearing edges and whether the drums tune up well. Structural damage is the thing to watch out for. Hardware can easily be replaced.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I had contact with the seller. Good guy. If I had the money, he could ship and one could find extra shells easy, it was mine

Perfect sizes (the 15'' floor should be in every kit and legs are easy to be added). And its the old Keller shell (which means thin and vibrant shells with sustain for days) black/brass badge from around 1994-1995 (rims which add even more to the sustain).

So it is a steal if you can live with a one up, one down kit.

I imagine these are Keller shells too. The mounts are also prior to the ones they use now. I think a little TLC would do them a great justice.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
That area might be like where I live where I live. If you are trying to sell a drum set around here, basically you are stuck with it if the other three or four drummers who live here don't want it.

Also, it's probably a keller-shelled DW set, and many folks see those as less appealing. It's a weird (to me) sized floor tom with suspension mounts, and lots of folks out there don't like mounted floor toms; they prefer traditional legs and depths these days. If they aren't far away, go look at them if you are in the market. I'd check for water damage in every shell.

Those look like 1st-gen Hardcases. I own a set of those, and they are fantastic. Mine have been through the ringer and have held up well. I've had to replace a couple of straps, but the cases are great. I have since moved on to drum bags, but I still use my snare Hardcase every week.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Also, it's probably a keller-shelled DW set, and many folks see those as less appealing.
Under a lot of DW players, purists and owners of the 70/80/90 era Keller shells (got to love the DW group on FB) it is exactly the opposite I have noticed.

Especially because the shells are thinner and seem to resonate more than the in-house shells, and the wood aged longer it is what attracts those who know them.

I personally love the Jazz series which have this warm vibe over them too, but these are quite pricey when bought to personal prefs.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Under a lot of DW players, purists and owners of the 70/80/90 era Keller shells (got to love the DW group on FB) it is exactly the opposite I have noticed.

Especially because the shells are thinner and seem to resonate more than the in-house shells, and the wood aged longer it is what attracts those who know them.
This makes me happy to know! Thanks for sharing it.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Apologies. I forgot to post the link of the group:

I think this forum and groups like these on FB are truly the nice side of the www.