DVD / Book of Fills

Witterings

Silver Member
I've learnt an aweful lot from DVD's like Benny Greb's - The Language of Drumming and Tommy Igoe's - Great Hands for a Lifetime and they've been incredibly useful but they're more orientated around rudiments / technique.

Does anybody know of any good DVD's (or books but prefer DVD) that are predominently aimed at teaching you and increasing your vocabulary of different Fills, if anyone does I'd be interested to know what level they're aimed at as well ????
I'm ideally for something quite advanced for myself but I'm also helping a newbie learn / pointing them in the right direction so would be interested at ones aimed a lower level as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

jeffwj

Platinum Member
I would suggest both Advanced Concepts by Kim Plainfield and Stickings and Orchestrations by Casey Scheuerell. Advanced concepts has some other info in it as well such as grooves and styles, but it has amazing solo concepts that can easily be shortened for fills. Stickings and Orchestrations is great too. It allows you to think of the underlying rhythm of the fills and solos. Both are bokk/CD packages. Below are the links to the books.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/2595/drum-set-methods-cd

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/category/s?keyword=stickings+and+orchestrations

Jeff

nocTurnal

I've learnt an aweful lot from DVD's like Benny Greb's - The Language of Drumming and Tommy Igoe's - Great Hands for a Lifetime and they've been incredibly useful but they're more orientated around rudiments / technique.

Does anybody know of any good DVD's (or books but prefer DVD) that are predominently aimed at teaching you and increasing your vocabulary of different Fills [...]
I feel your pain. I've got two of Tommy Igoe's books, and so wish he would do one on fills. The industry is definitely lacking a definitive book on drum fills. Most on here will just tell you to listen to your favorite drummers and learn that way. But surely there could be a good book waiting to happen to put it all into context. I heard Igoe is making Groove Essentials 3.0 next... but I wish he were doing either a fills or foot work book instead.

I feel your pain. I've got two of Tommy Igoe's books, and so wish he would do one on fills. The industry is definitely lacking a definitive book on drum fills. Most on here will just tell you to listen to your favorite drummers and learn that way. But surely there could be a good book waiting to happen to put it all into context. I heard Igoe is making Groove Essentials 3.0 next... but I wish he were doing either a fills or foot work book instead.

I read on his facebook page that he's doing a fills and solos book to be released in 2011.

Witterings

Silver Member
Thanks for the replies, yes there does seem to be a lack of books of fills !!!

I do listen to other drummers and clips on you tube and they've all helped to expand and I then mix and match them and use excercises in Stick control alternating between hands / feet etc and have found the odd page like linear drum fills.

It'd be great though to have a whole load collated together that you could just work through from simple up to more complicated including syncopated, Latin, rock / pop, metal, gospel etc.

Be good if Igoe does do a book, shame it's not in time for this Xmas as would definitely be on my list !!!!

brady

Platinum Member
Generally speaking, you'll use grooves a lot more than fills. That's probably why most books focus on it.

If you learned all of your fills from a book or DVD, they may come off sounding like it. They should be a response to what ever is going on musically, to support the lyrics, etc. However, most of the books/DVDs I have have some pretty cool fills in them.

Realistic Rock has a section on fills, Jim Payne's Funk Drummer has a fill/syncopation chapter, Gregg Bissonette touches on different fills in his DVD, Steve Smith's Standing on the Shoulders of Giants DVD has some pretty cool ideas in a jazz context inspired by some of the greats. Also, John Riley's Art of Bop book (and probably Beyond Bop) has several jazz fills in it.

nocTurnal

I read on his facebook page that he's doing a fills and solos book to be released in 2011.
Wow wee! Man, that is the best news I've heard in a long time. This certainly surprises me, though. Someone on here said the exact same thing, but said it was for Groove Essentials 3.0 which will "tie all grooves together." They even said Igoe stated this on his facebook page, just as you did now. Did he suddenly change his mind?

EDITED TO ADD: Ah, I thought that other post might be by you! Are you making this stuff up? Here is the post where percusmann mentions Tommy Igoe is making GE 3.0 I think you've been had, dude! Come clean now... or else.

Last edited:

Witterings

Silver Member
http://www.drumfillsystem.com/?utm_source=freedrumlessons&utm_medium=network&utm_content=launch-

Like Jared Falk or not, they have a new video system where you can now learn ONE TRILLION FILLS!!!11! Seriously, I haven't seen anything but this trailer but even so, something in there has to stick! Check it out and let us know...good luck!
I did a google search of drum fills and found this site prior to posting my thread.

You know the really really crass diet suplement sites where they just go on and on and on and it' such a HUGE sales pitch from start to finish, personally I just look at sites like that and think if they really have to push a product that hard then it's probably rubbish and they must think people are stupid.
This site just gave me the exact same feeling, they're offering yes can you believe it NINE DVD's and yet someone as Iconic as Tommy Igoe can get a huge amount of information that can transform how you play onto 1 dvd, his follows have the sold on reputation of the previosu work he's done.
Personally I think the site just comes across as one HUGE sales pitch which I wouldn't go near but I'd be interested to hear any testimonial about it from people on here that I've known for a while and hopefully they can proove me wrong !!!!!

utdrummer

Witt---yeah, I was googling "drum lessons" last year and Jared's site came up. After lurking for a few weeks I signed up and even got in on the "secret lesson" thingy just to see what all that entailed. Under the "lessons" heading on his site, it does offer some good beginning to intermediate information and I was impressed with the order and good tutorials they offered. Seriously, I wish the interwebs were available some 30 years ago when I started. But it didn't take long for the "secret emails" to start coming in. Jared Falk is a nice enough guy and offers a good service esp to beginning drummers but the ads were too much. Plus I got into a pissy fight with one of Jareds disciples over there and jumped off that site completely. Mike Michalkow has a lot of videos he pushes through there and he is a top notch player/educator. So is the other guy that is doing the Fills DVD. So, this might turn out to be a good set after all. I don't have the money to spend right now, but I am keeping an eye on it. But seriously...one trillion fills?

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Much of the talk in this thread is about what may come out in the future. While interesting, the original poster will benefit from what is on the market now. I would say that, as far as new books, Elements by John Favicchia would be the one most useful for developing fills. I still need to get my copy, but I've taken a lesson with John, seen him in clinic, and spoken with him enough to know that it should help open up your fill (and solo) creativity. Here's a link:

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/favicchia-elements/drum-set-methods-cd

Jeff

Wow wee! Man, that is the best news I've heard in a long time. This certainly surprises me, though. Someone on here said the exact same thing, but said it was for Groove Essentials 3.0 which will "tie all grooves together." They even said Igoe stated this on his facebook page, just as you did now. Did he suddenly change his mind?

EDITED TO ADD: Ah, I thought that other post might be by you! Are you making this stuff up? Here is the post where percusmann mentions Tommy Igoe is making GE 3.0 I think you've been had, dude! Come clean now... or else.

I read it on his facebook page. I'm just telling you what I, or you, or anyone else can read. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's called GE 3 or something else because, if memory serves, he didn't say. Somebody (not me) asked a question on his page and answered something like "the long awaited fills/solos book coming out in 2011". Now, I think that's correct, but don't kill me if it isn't. I'm just tellin' ya what I saw and sharing. But anyone can read his facebook page for themselves and make up their own mind.

And personally for me, the Gary Chaffee linear books, even though they are mostly about "grooves" have been very inspiring for fills too. I recommend them highly.

Last edited:

nocTurnal

I read it on his facebook page. I'm just telling you what I, or you, or anyone else can read. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's called GE 3 or something else because, if memory serves, he didn't say. Somebody (not me) asked a question on his page and answered something like "the long awaited fills/solos book coming out in 2011". Now, I think that's correct, but don't kill me if it isn't. I'm just tellin' ya what I saw and sharing. But anyone can read his facebook page for themselves and make up their own mind.

And personally for me, the Gary Chaffee linear books, even though they are mostly about "grooves" have been very inspiring for fills too. I recommend them highly.
Fair enough. I salute you for sharing the info... I just thought it sounded too good to be true to have both books out next year. Sorry if I sounded untrusting... I was more or less doubtful. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... you saw it stated. If you see any more updates, be sure to post them. I do occasionally read his facebook page, but not often. Someone asked about any plans for another GE and Igoe replied "not anytime soon." I guess that's why I replied the way I did to you. Sorry for that.