Drumsticks and carry on luggage

druid

Silver Member
Has anyone ever been hassled trying to take a pair of sticks with a pad in a carry on bag of luggage? I am flying from Pittsburgh to Nashville and wonder if with all the requirements they might give me a hard time....but I dont want to go for three days without playing at all either. In this day and age who knows what they consider a "weapon"...?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I just did when I went to N.C. in May. I asked the TPA on a previous trip and they said it was no problem and on this last trip they didn't question me as I went through.

jer

Silver Member
I'm assuming you aren't checking any luggage?

Personally, I'd put it there if you could. If I had to sit next to a guy tapping away at a practice pad during a flight, I'd end up on a no-fly list for sure. ;)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I carried-on a small bag with a brick of sticks, a kick pedal beater, and a stack of 8x10s, and nobody said anything when it was x-rayed. I was sure I was going to have to do some explaining!

Bermuda

Pavlos

I always have a pair of sticks in my carry-on bag and I've been through security at least 30-40 times in the last couple years. No problem whatsoever.

Boomka

Platinum Member
I've never had trouble with sticks, but make sure you take out any wrenches or other small tools you may carry, I've had them taken away for fear I might take the plane apart from the inside, I guess. Also, I've had wire brushes confiscated. Moreover, during the conversation with the security guard I made a crack about my "killer brush chops" which was not received in the spirit it was given.... Take heed, and mind your manners. :)

elpol

I've never had trouble with sticks, but make sure you take out any wrenches or other small tools you may carry, I've had them taken away for fear I might take the plane apart from the inside, I guess. Also, I've had wire brushes confiscated. Moreover, during the conversation with the security guard I made a crack about my "killer brush chops" which was not received in the spirit it was given.... Take heed, and mind your manners. :)
+1
I've had too many keys and tools confiscated out of my own forgetfulness when packing.
it's not a lot of money, but it does get annoying after awhile...

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm assuming you aren't checking any luggage?

Personally, I'd put it there if you could. If I had to sit next to a guy tapping away at a practice pad during a flight, I'd end up on a no-fly list for sure. ;)
I did check luggage but won't put anything of value in that. My sticks and pad were with me in my carry on. I had my check book stolen from my checked baggage, my bad, so I check nothing any more but clothes. My carry on has my phone, ipod, laptop, medicines, etc. Everything that would be a hassle to replace. AirTran just can't be trusted.

Last edited:

Pavlos

I did check luggage but won't put anything of value in that. My sticks and pad were with me in my carry on. I had my check book stolen from my checked baggage, my bad, so I check nothing any more but clothes. My carry on has my phone, ipod, laptop, medicines, etc. Everything that would be a hassle to replace. Tran Air just can't be trusted.
This is good advice. They will not let you lock checked luggage anymore.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Flying back and forth to San Francisco, I carried on my cymbals. I stuffed the front pocket of the cymbal bag with sticks, mallets, and brushes. Security looked at them and didn't question it at all. Most of our horn players had gone through already, so security knew it was stuff for the band.

Last edited:

Chonson

As others have said - no big deal. Pad, sticks, metronome, earplugs, headphones - it's never gotten so much as a yawn from security. I've gotten keys through (the compact folding Evans one) but if you've got the utility-style key that may have a knife on it (like the larger Evans key) - I wouldn't even attempt it.

I find it funny how all of you can bring drum equipment in your carry-on bags that could be used as weapons and the security guards don't stop you, but when I went through security, they had to check out a pop-tart box I had in there for some reason.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I bring my sticks and cymbal bag as carry ons all the time. My local airport is the only one in the country who has ever questioned me about it, and only when I don't have my cymbals with me.

Shouldn't be a problem for you at all.

Boomka

Platinum Member
I find it funny how all of you can bring drum equipment in your carry-on bags that could be used as weapons and the security guards don't stop you, but when I went through security, they had to check out a pop-tart box I had in there for some reason.
You wouldn't find it odd if a guy showed up with a box of Pop-Tarts in his luggage?

Also, the foil wrapping makes it difficult to see what's inside with the X-ray.

I guess the foil wrapping thing makes sense, but it was on a class trip so you pretty much had to bring your own food in between meals so I took some pop-tarts.