Drumstick Innovation - Low Volume Drumsticks

Dougie Stix

Hello All, updating this with the drawings of the sticks and a short demo video compared to normal sticks. What do you guys think?

I have a new type of drumstick. It is a new option to the well known "Hot Rods" or Bundle Sticks/Multi Rods.

These sticks allow you to play the drums at a lower volume, actually 20 decibels less than regular sticks. This means that regular sticks sound 4 times louder than these.

They are a solid stick, so they feel like a normal drumstick, no energy loss from small dowel rods spreading out. They do not chip and fall apart.

They have the same clear attack on the drums and cymbals like regular sticks.

I am seeking interest in these sticks. They are patent-pending and will be released on Kickstarter soon.

If you would like to be notified on the release of them, and to learn more about them, please message me with your email address and I will send you the kickstarter link before the release.

Please also post here if you are interested, and any thoughts.

Thanks dudes!

*Your email address will be kept confidential, only used to send the link, no spam.

Video:

stix2.jpg

Last edited:
I am interested in the low volume sticks. I play at a range of volumes and have tried various options in the past.

I am interested in the low volume sticks. I play at a range of volumes and have tried various options in the past.
These sticks were created because everything on the market does not perform as well as I thought they could. Developed out of necessity!

How will the actual weight of the drum sticks differ from conventional sticks-- i.e., what would a 5A or 5B sized low volume stick weigh compared to the same traditional sized model?

How will the actual weight of the drum sticks differ from conventional sticks-- i.e., what would a 5A or 5B sized low volume stick weigh compared to the same traditional sized model?
A 5A is right about 50 grams. These sticks are 23 grams.

I applied the concept Lotus had for his cars, instead of giving the car a bigger engine to make it faster, he made them lighter; which also made it handle better.

Less mass = less impact = lower volume

Sounds good to me. Very interested.

Similar to using maple sticks vs hickory-less mass (maple not as dense as hickory?) equals less volume.

Interested. Looking forward to your release/KS announcement.

You say they aren't prone to chipping and falling apart. What about completely breaking? Do they last as long as a normal stick?

I'd love to see a photo or two of these things. Sounds like a great idea, however, I do rely on that weight of the stick for a good portion of my technique; when sticks are too light I end up having to exert more energy to get the things back up since they aren't rebounding as much.

You say they aren't prone to chipping and falling apart. What about completely breaking? Do they last as long as a normal stick?
Yes, they won't chip and fall apart. But of course due to the nature they will break over time, especially if you are a hard hitter. These are meant to bring down the volume, so you should match that with your power when playing. How you treat them will determine their life, just like some people break regular sticks every week, and others have them last all year. They will probably not last as long as a normal stick, but that's the trade off for being able to play at 20 decibels less. They do last longer, or at least as long as, bundle sticks - but will not fall apart during the process. Will be an instant fail, instead of slowly becoming smaller and smaller. The funny thing about these is that most of the time when they break, you can even keep playing for a few. I've had them break and not notice for a minute.

Since developing these two years ago, they are the only thing I play with.

I set the price on Kickstarter for $8 for 1 pair, $15 for 2, $21 for 3. Recall that hot rods are $20/pair. Due to the easy production of these, the cost will be low. I'd like for it to stay at that rate even when they make it to the market...I'm praying... I remove myself from the product being mine, and I would be happy with the price vs life span of them. The drummers I've had test them have all agreed on that ratio.

I've used these for years. They definitely lower the volume but my one complaint would be they feel TOO light sometimes.
So how are yours different? (It would be nice to have it feel like a real drumstick for sure)

Those are crazy-looking. I'd love to try a set though.

Back