Drumset Solo - I Remember based on West African Rhythms

JoePorter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEGas0HOv88

Here's a drumset solo that I'm playing written by David Schmalenberger.

The first half is written out but I don't play it exactly strictly as written.

The second half I have added based on an african dance called "Bamaya". At the end I added a samba to cap everything off,

Hope you enjoy,

Joe

Last edited:

smaolach

fantastic!
i especially like the intro and the full, warm sound of your drums. it's hard not to get up and dance around in my appartment; lot's of energy flowing there!

smaolach

yeah! it's fascinatin however complex such a rhythm is, there is always a heartbeat that can be felt, which make your legs move (when it's played right ;)
really enjoyed it; go on!

720hours World Record

Joe

I held the Guinness Book World Record for endurance drumming a long time ago. Boo McAfee (he runs Worlds Fastest Drummer contest now) broke my record 4 years later.

You can go to my web site and see the info if you wish.

Cliff

720hours World Record

Joe

There is a long thread started by Larryace called "We have a world record holder amongst us!" started on 10-04-2010, 09:22 AM

It explains a lot of questions, and the Guinness Book rules, check it out if you wish.

Cliff

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
JP, this thread should be posted in the Your Playing section (Your Place-->Your Playing).

That aside, I loved it! It really captures what I love about drums. Inspiring, soulful playing. Great room for that kind of solo too - the acoustics and playing have that little Frankenstein kit sounding huge. Only listened to the first 6 mins before tuning out, though.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Wow! Great playing and it inspired me to try some new stuff.

I played Fanga, Shosholaza and some other stuff at a party Sunday leading a drum circle with a violinist and keyboardist. This is enchanting music and I really like how you interpret it.

rythmatist

THATs an amazing drumsolo. More of the so-called "professional" player should try things like that instead of showing up some of their "look, i practiced that to death" stuff. Its a great solo and you played fantastic.
I showed it to my little brother (who's neither a drummer nor a musician) and he enjoyed it.

JoePorter

Thanks. I think playing a piece like this makes you a better play as you not only focus on playing other "styles" but you really have to try to make it "dance". One of the best comments I got was from my Instructor. He said he can visualize all of the dance moves going along with the piece.

moontheloon

Silver Member
thoroughly enjoyed that ......fantastic playing....

and that may be the farthest I have ever seen a hi hat from a rack tom in my life :)

stellar......