Drumming Patterns: The Components of Rhythm & Technique

Steve.B

Hi All,

While searching for systems to use with syncopation, this title popped up.

Cant seem to find any reviews anywhere on it and thought you guys maybe able to help?

Steve B

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I found one review on the book for you. It's on Amazon, this guy sounds awfully frustrated but the book helped him:

"This book I have christened "MY BIBLE after plugging through endless drum guidance crap that in general were ridiculously technical mindlessly boring and so frustrating that at one stage an overwhelming urge to set fire to my kit almost became a reality! Thankfully however along came a breath of fresh air in the shape of a unique book titled Drumming Patterns aimed at all ages from beginner intermediate to pro It is so user friendly logical argon free non patronizing straight forward manual starting from preface I personally think DP blows most of the current drumming education material available on the market out of the water...GET A COPY. Thanking you Mr Brarman."

Never heard of this book myself. The big ones around here seem to be New Breed and Stick Control. Surely someone has been through this book though.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
That'll take some time to digest just the free download. It looks like a pretty intense library of materials for very committed practicers-- maybe not what I'd recommend for casual use. It would probably be something you would refer to in the course of working on other things, rather than using it as a primary method book.

The author, Chuck Braman, is a real guy-- part of why I started my site was to make sure his Paul Motian interview didn't get lost in the internet. That and a Joey Baron master class transcript were the only worthwhile drumming related things on the internet in the 90s.

If you're looking for things to do with Reed, look through the archives at my site, get the Alan Dawson Complete Drumming Vocabulary book, and also a couple of volumes of Interpretive Stickings by Martin Bradfield, if you can find them. You may have to order that directly from the author. I think Berklee press also put out a book, which I don't have.

Chuck Braman

Hello Everyone,

I'm the author of Drumming Patterns. Thank you for your interest in my book. I'd be happy to directly answer any questions you might have.

To address a couple questions in the thread:

>Steve B wrote: Can't seem to find any reviews anywhere on it

It was published in 1988 and at the time well-reviewed in Percussive Notes, Downbeat, Modern Drummer, Kansas Music Review, Rimshot Magazine and Rhythm Magazine. You can read quotes from these reviews and also endorsements from Jim Chapin, Louie Bellson, and Ed Soph, and from readers who sent me complimentary emails, here: http://bit.ly/2Xwe1b7.

Unfortunately, it really hasn't been heard from since because I self-published it, immediately afterward moved to NYC, and got too involved in trying to make a living to take the time to find a distributor.

Steve, your interest in reading full reviews just gave me a good idea, thanks! I'm in the process of redesigning and expanding the site, and in the new improved version, I'll include the full text of all of those reviews (provided I can locate them all). By the way, any suggestions for improving the site or making it clearer or more informative would be appreciated.

>Alain Rieder wrote: It is based on stickings and there's a site where you can download a portion of the book.

It's actually based on a new method of organizing stickings logically, embellishing them logically, and subsequently, converting the stickings into rhythms and plugging the rhythms into ostinato patterns. By the time I do all of this there is a complete system that is created, but it's based on the initial idea of arranging all of the possible sticking patterns in a sequence from short to long.

I made the first 37 pages available for free (http://bit.ly/2XwheHH). They include all of the sticking patterns, as well as the contents, forward and introduction.

I'd recommend to anyone who is curious to download the first 37 pages that include all of the stickings. If you find value in pages 5-7 of Stick Control, I think you will find a lot of value in these. (If you are familiar with Stick Control, after you download these stickings, reading this comparison of the two books might help clarify the approach I take: http://bit.ly/2XzxPdI.)

>Todd Bishop wrote: It looks like a pretty intense library of materials for very committed practicers-- maybe not what I'd recommend for casual use. It would probably be something you would refer to in the course of working on other things, rather than using it as a primary method book.

It's actually intended as a primary method book that a beginning student should start out with (starting with the stickings), but it's also comprehensive so that the more committed to mastering drumming technique and rhythm they become, the more applications of the basic patterns they will find.

Thanks again everyone for the discussion. If you find any value in the material I offer for free or have any other comments or suggestions, please let me know.