Drumming Injuries?

Sirwill

Silver Member
Over the many decades of drumming I have had a few injuries due to my playing. I have read lately an article by Mr. Peart about himself and other drummers suffering from injured rotor cup's due do drumming. I myself am starting to have some slight pain in this shoulder area as well and was wondering how many more of us injured drummers are out there?

joeysnare

Silver Member
one time at a show i dropped a stick and it skittered all over the drums and i spazzed out trying to catch it. and just from the way i moved while still trying to play i whiplashed my own neck and i still had 10 more shows to go.so it didnt heal for about 3 months or so and it still bothers me years later on cold days.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
I don't believe I have really incurred any injuries from drumming, other than a bruised ego every now and then. Although, I have injured myself (skiing for instance)...dislocated both my shoulders at the same time. Had the right one surgically repaired. Been a long while since then, but I still get some serious pain late into deep sets or high energy songs. I have to be aware of how I write so I can stay balanced through sets so as not to wreck myself while playing.

Sirwill

Silver Member
Thanks for the response. I have even read that over years of drumming the sudden stop motion in the hands and limbs can cause trouble in joints over time.

That Guy

Platinum Member
Every now and then I seem to smack myself on the corner of the eye with my stick. That hurts like a mutha. Also, you can't forget about the "ole' tip of the stick in the eye" injury. Thats always a goodie. Oh, here is another one. How about the "destroy your index finger on the rim of the snare on the down stroke"... @$%#&! OUCH!!!!!!!

F

fourstringdrums

I've smashed myself across the bridge of the nose before with a stick.

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
I have hit my eye with my stick on several occasions. Hasnt happened in a while though. Latley i have been playing so much some of the skin has been getting really raw. Stings a little bit, maybe i should play less until i get caloces or however you spell it.

Sirwill

Silver Member
You guys are to much. Great story's and yes the old stick to the eye. That should be a new thread called "Drumming with safety glasses". Thanks again gentlemen.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The shoulder or rotator cuff problem can be solved sometimes by adjusting the angle and height of the ride cymbal. I was getting numb fingers when I started playing again 18 months ago, and I know I am an old dude, but try adjusting the setup and see if it helps. I made my lower and it helped over night. Evidently a nerve in my shoulder didn't like what I was doing and it caused my fingers some grief.

stasz

Platinum Member
I have had shoulder and back pain before but from marching snare drum, not from drumset. Those harnesses can really kill you, but it always to stretch and stay in shape. I still have to work on that second one...

I used to cut my fingers occasionally when choking cymbals in my punk band in high school, the risk of metallic infection concerned me at first but then I realized most everyone in the crowd had various appendages pierced by metal anyways, by choice!

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
I've had at least one of everything listed. Poked the eye, braised the nose a few times, straight up beasted the side of my face (a little too much to drink that night), smashed the left index finger on a rim countless times, caught a fingernail on a cymbal-squelch a couple times...yeah...all are painfull.

To piggyback Gruntersdad...I changed my ride position to where it was clocked more in front of me (just forward of the 1st position floor tom, or in place of the lowest rack tom...however you'd see it). Either way, playing it there took a little of the stress off my right shoulder. Wont ever seem to go away for good though...

N

nhzoso

Just recently I smashed my left thumb knuckle with the right hand stick... Damn that hurts. More reason to learn open handed.

Therma lobsterdore

Nice injuries! I've definintely smacked myself in the face when I first started doing the freestroke and the moeller technique. But the only the major injury I've had is to my right leg (did it about a month ago), I've started getting pains around my knee which I hope is just shin splints, but I'm getting it checked out tomorrow so fingers crossed that it is something simple!

Sirwill

Silver Member
Killer injury's I must say. I have spent the last two years learning to play the old cross over hand style (To help develop my right hand for the ride cymbal) and I'm glad I normally play open handed because with the cross over style I have hit my left thumb too many times.

Cypriss

Yer had all the facial injuries listed here.But when i was first starting out i liked my ride really low next to my floor tom. so havin a jam with a mate one night"crack" broke my pinky finger while trying to crash the ride can laugh now but horrible at the time. Also had a mate whoo chipped his tooth while playing live and kept on going after the song ends he realises the damage he's done to his front tooth.Will never forget the look on his face .1 of the funniest thing i think i've ever seen.

HeadRush

of course everyone's had the occasional finger smashed on the rim of the stick, stick in the face, or what ever common injury on the drums.
but you really know you've done something stupid when you start getting major injuries
first off, I have developed moderate tendinitis due to bad technique I used to play with
but I think the worst thing and most current thing to happen to me was, a few weeks ago after acting really stupid behind the set, I started to get a slight ache and pain in my left leg. well I thought I just thought it was maybe a pulled muscle or something not too severe so I didn't do anything about it.
but yesterday, when I was getting a sports physical, the doctor told me that I have a hernia and I'm gonna need surgery on it soon since it's starting to get in the way of my life (sitting for long periods of time bothers me and playing on a crappy drum throne really hurts).
yeah so acting stupid behind a drum set and/or playing with bad technique can really cause problems...