Drumming = Health Benefits ?

BassDriver

Silver Member
I am more convinced of the mental health effects...learning an instrument makes you focus...and our brains are observed to be a case of "use it or lose it".

...just as some people say that speaking multiple languages wards off the onset of dementia.

Drumming is not great cardio or muscle workout (considering the focus is on coordinated motion rather than strong muscle work in the arms), I do not emerge from a jam session panting for air.

Boomka

Platinum Member
Frequent low intensity movement is good for the body. It encourages blood flow, capillary profusion, keeps joints moving, muscles stretching and contracting, and keeps neural pathways in use. I'm sure the mental aspects of playing music are also good for keeping all cylinders firing upstairs, too. Performing music harnesses a large number of brain areas on both sides of the CC. That's the sort of thing the scienticians tell us helps to fend off dementia and other problems of growing old. Use it or lose it.

MaryO

Platinum Member
Well I know that at as long as I'm holding my sticks and playing it usually means I'm not holding food and shoving it down my throat....that's got to be some kind of health benefit, right?

aydee

Platinum Member

Doing what you really love is a phenomenal health benefit in itself. A sense of well being due to the endorphins released are probably immeasurable by medical science at this point but I can feel em tickling me all over and I like it.

And I'm happy in my blissful ignorance.

Last edited:

Metronome

If you're decent looking, of course drumming benefits health. You get laid more often, which should under normal circumstances crank your heart rate and in turn providing a cardiovascular exercise. This doesn't apply to me at all though.

dreambeatlegend

I doubt the drums are going to give you much of a real work-out.

You need to get your larger muscle groups working w/ your heart rate up for a given period of time to get a work out.

actually drumming uses some of the biggest muscle groups in your body.. Hips, Abs and back sure your using your smaller muscle groups but what do you thing is holding all that together. I agree jogging will make me more tired for the same amount of time.. but too much jogging will destroy your joints... and I dont think I could ever drum to much, as long as I sit up straight

Lucho

I realize that I'm a bit late responding to this, but I figured I'd chime in some info I have at my disposal.

Exercise and Physical Activity are differentiated by their intentions.

Exercise is done for the purpose of improving fitness.
Physical Activity is done incidentally, like during work or play.

An example of exercise would be jogging, or lifting weights. An example of Physical activity would be the benefits from say, shoveling snow.

While drumming may have some health benefits, it's not the intended result, it is only incidental. Research strongly suggests that psychology plays a huge factor in your physical health, and vice versa (basically to the point where it's proven, but it's not "proven". But that's just semantics), so there is no doubt in my mind that there is some benefit to drumming, however I'm sure there are many other factors involved that aren't being taken into consideration.

For example, going for a walk may have the same effect on your circulatory system. Or playing a game of cards with a friend may have the same stress-relieving psychological benefits. Taking a break from the daily stressors of life to play the drums could be done doing something else equally enjoyable, with the same benefits.

I do believe that drumming can benefit you (probably more psychologically than physiologically, imho, although I don't doubt there is some physiological benefit). But if you're genuinely looking to drumming for its health benefits, you're playing the drums for the wrong reasons. If you want exercise, go jogging.

skreg

Sure drumming might have some health benefits. But, how does it compare to THE SHAKE-WEIGHT?

lol

Drumming primarily benefits mental health, from my experience.

-sheldon

rhythmkitchen

@gruntersdad. check out the links in my post. you might find them interesting. they are medical opinions. btw, nice looking gretsch drum in your profile pic

topgun2021

Gold Member
I had a massive blood clot from my belly button to my knee, and an other from my knee to my ankle. I was talking to my doctor and he said drumming was good for the leg because the pumping of my ankle on the pedals improves blood flow. I still have to wear a compression stocking so my leg doesn't cramp, but at least I won't get grandma veins any time soon.

Blankso

I heard it was good for your immunity system. Helps produce cancer killing cells or whatever.
It is also a great stress reliever.

nocTurnal

Take it all with a grain of salt. A lot of opinions from non-medical professionals.
I really don't even think the medical community could even give a solid answer on this one. There just hasn't been enough research. The Clem Burke Project does look interesting, and I hope they find out more information. But it's just one study.... for something to be conclusive you need multiple studies.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
No other change in your lifestyle other than the addition of drumming? No calcium supplements or any other dietary changes? I woulda thought your doctor would've told you to take calcium supplements. No? I just can't relate playing drums to increased bone density. There's no strength training in drums. Only cardiovascular benefits... as many have already pointed out.
There's plenty of impact, though. Also lugging.

nocTurnal

definately!!! I have Osteoporosis. I had a scan two years after I started drumming and it showed a 10% improvement in bone density. Drumming was the only change I had made in my lifestyle--the docs said they knew high impact exercise helped, but had never considered drumming as a cure.
No other change in your lifestyle other than the addition of drumming? No calcium supplements or any other dietary changes? I woulda thought your doctor would've told you to take calcium supplements. No? I just can't relate playing drums to increased bone density. There's no strength training in drums. Only cardiovascular benefits... as many have already pointed out.