Drumming Career

Hackett

Hi
I have a 14 year old son who loves to drum and wants to make a career out of his drumming skills by way of either teaching, session, band etc. (basically anything as long as he is drumming)
Hs is currently waiting to sit his grade 8 (Rockschool) exam , which he was ready for 6 months ago.
His drum teacher has suggested he starts his teaching diploma work with the idea he will be able to take his diploma when he is 16.
My questions are:
1, Does this sound like a good career move as his lessons will now cost £40 / week.
2, Does anybody know if it is possible to take a teaching diploma at 16.
3, Does anyone have any suggestions for a 14 year old who wants to pursue a career in drumming.

Obviously he still has a couple of years left at school.
He also plays regular in a church band, which of course he loves.

I would be grateful for any comments, ideas or from anyone in similar circumstances.
Thanks.

moontheloon

Silver Member
I knew I wanted to do this for a living before 14

I absolutely wasnt thinking about teaching though

I wanted to tour the world and play in front of thousands of people

I think life experience is much more important than a diploma at this point in his life.

a diploma at 16 wont do much for his career if he has no experience playing

in my opinion he needs to get out into the school of hard knocks and learn about what life is like as a musician

the build ups,..... the let downs...., the late nights,..... the years of lugging gear and wanting to quit,.....the hard work....the sacrifice......the rewards.......

after all that if he still wants it.....

I knew I wanted to do this for a living before 14

I absolutely wasnt thinking about teaching though

I wanted to tour the world and play in front of thousands of people

I think life experience is much more important than a diploma at this point in his life.

a diploma at 16 wont do much for his career if he has no experience playing

in my opinion he needs to get out into the school of hard knocks and learn about what life is like as a musician

the build ups,..... the let downs...., the late nights,..... the years of lugging gear and wanting to quit,.....the hard work....the sacrifice......the rewards.......

after all that if he still wants it.....
There's some good advice here. But given my perspective of being a 117 year-old guy, I'll encourage your son to pursue any and all education available to him at this point in his life. I, too, knew I wanted to be a pro drummer when I was that age. Sadly, reality reared it's ugly head. That dream was not to be. If he is truly dedicated to drumming a a career, he will put forth the effort to reach his goal on some level or another. But it is difficult to return to school at a later point in life. I agree with moontheloon...he should gain as much experience playing and living as possible. But also keep as many options open as possible.

moontheloon

Silver Member
There's some good advice here. But given my perspective of being a 117 year-old guy, I'll encourage your son to pursue any and all education available to him at this point in his life. I, too, knew I wanted to be a pro drummer when I was that age. Sadly, reality reared it's ugly head. That dream was not to be. If he is truly dedicated to drumming a a career, he will put forth the effort to reach his goal on some level or another. But it is difficult to return to school at a later point in life. I agree with moontheloon...he should gain as much experience playing and living as possible. But also keep as many options open as possible.
absolutely

in no way am I suggesting he doesnt get educated......

I just feel that at 14 ....looking to get a teaching diploma at 16 doesnt seem to carry much weight to me

toddbishop

Platinum Member
1, Does this sound like a good career move as his lessons will now cost £40 / week.
Being a drummer is a very bad career move, which you should only make if you couldn't be dissuaded from it anyway. A good test of his commitment would be to make him take a job at the nearest fried food shop to pay for his lessons as soon as he's old enough.

2, Does anybody know if it is possible to take a teaching diploma at 16.
I'm not familiar with your educational system, so I can't tell you. He should be approaching music with the idea that he is a performer first, but it would be a good idea to actually get whatever credentials he can while he's in school. They'll play no role whatever in his career as a performer, but he'll have more options later on.

3, Does anyone have any suggestions for a 14 year old who wants to pursue a
career in drumming.
1. Seek out as many performance opportunities as possible. ANYTHING involving playing the drums == GOOD.

2. Have the desire to practice 3-8 hours a day every day for the next 10 years at least, and then actually do it.

3. Don't assume that what your teachers ask of you is enough to make you a real drummer. You have to do a lot more.

4. Meet and make friends with a lot of people- especially non-drummer musicians.