Drummers who have influenced you

pmancuso

The ones that immediately come to mind:

Buddy Rich
Mowtown dudes (don't know who any of them were)
Ringo
Dino Danelli
Floyd Sneed
Danny Saraphine
Bill Beuford
Phil Ehart
Carl Palmer
Phil Collins
Chester Thompson
Neil Peart
Dave Weckl
Carter Beauford

jbteitelbaum

Stevie Wonder
Levon Helm
Steve Jordan
Steve Gadd
James Gadson
Bernard Purdie
Aaron Sterling
Zigaboo
Clyde/Jabo
John Bonham
Uriel Jones / Benny Benjamin / Pistol (MOTOWN)
David Garibaldi

TOMANO

My first teacher, Bob Berg. An amazingly versatile drummer and music lover. Great guy, too. Taught me how to read drum music and really LISTEN to music.

Other influences:

John Bonham / Keith Moon - Bonzo for groove and pocket; Moonie for the spirit of reckless abandon.

Andy Newmark - Showed me the beauty of simplicity and the impact of "less is more" in a piece of music. My all-time favorite drummer.

Budgie - Siouxsie & The Banshees' drummer showed me ways of approaching a song from a different angle. His tom work is sublime.

Terry Bozzio - How to not only think outside the box, but how to set the box aflame. Hasn't so much influenced my playing style (though I've stolen a few licks,) as he has inspire my creativity.

Buddy Rich - Showed me the apex of drumming. Perfect mastery.

...and about 1000 others.

Peace, MT

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
I'll play. My top 5, in order from most influential are as follows:

1. Mike Portnoy
2. Ryan Van Poederooyen
3. Roy Mayorga
4. Ray Luzier
5. John Dolmayan

Yep, mostly a hard rock and metal drummer here.
Not a drummer, but my highschool music teacher is the one who gave me access to a drum kit in order to further myself - I owe my playing to him. Otherwise, Portnoy is the drummer that made me pick up the sticks.

Cheers!

drummerman42

My big 5 in order are...

1. Neil Peart
2. Mike Portnoy
3. Simon Phillips
4. Dave Weckl
5. Jeff Porcaro

Each one has their own unique character that has helped me create my own sound. I can play these guys to the T, but i can also take away what i have learned from them to make my own style and sound. They are the soup ingredients that make up my sound...

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
First and foremost, my dad. Without him, I would have never started. Buddy Rich for bringing drummers to the forefront by TV appearances like The Tonight Show. Danny Seraphine for introducing me how to incorporate jazz and swing into rock; certainly my favorite! Richie Hayward for the funky, unique way that only he could play. Lastly, Steve Gadd for the groove like no other. There are others that I love (Vinnie, Steve Smith, etc.), but those listed really had a profound influence on me early on.
Dang... I forgot to include my mother, who was in marching band in high school, for putting sticks in my hand and always encouraging me and Jim Riley, my first drum teacher for giving me a solid technical foundation. As I said, my list changes and there's no way I could list ALL my influences, or I'd get carpel tunnel from all the typing! LOL!

G

gf2564

First and foremost, my dad. Without him, I would have never started. Buddy Rich for bringing drummers to the forefront by TV appearances like The Tonight Show. Danny Seraphine for introducing me how to incorporate jazz and swing into rock; certainly my favorite! Richie Hayward for the funky, unique way that only he could play. Lastly, Steve Gadd for the groove like no other. There are others that I love (Vinnie, Steve Smith, etc.), but those listed really had a profound influence on me early on.

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
Steve Gadd, JR Robinson, Vinnie Colaiuta, Buddy Rich, Steve Jordan, Jeff Porcaro, Max Roach, Jim Keltner, Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Chad Wackerman, Steve Smith, Elvin Jones, John Henry Bonham, Dom Famularo and Hal Blaine.

My list changes. Ask me again in a year. LOL!

Jonny Sumo

Cozy Powell, Bonham, Buddy and Bellson, Bobby Rondinelli, Brian Downey...I could just write a HUGE list...:) oh, and Ian Paice...

Last edited:

museic_head

DOMINIC HOWARD FROM MUUUSSSEEE
Dave Grohl from Nirvana and Them Crooked Vultures
Taylor Hawkins from Foo Fighters
Tre Cool from Green Day

solgrohl08

Dale crover big time from the smelvins
Dave grohl big time got me into drumming from nirvana and tcv
Bonham from led zep
Lee kurslake from ozzy osbourne and randy rhoads
Bill ward from sabbath
Dan peters from Mudhoney
Taylor Hawkins from foo fighters
Grant hart from Husker du

Stefan Brodsky

Red Holt. Ramsey Lewis' original trio drummer. Solid 4 pc kit jazz drumming w/great sounds using sticks, mallets and brushes. His R & B skills were later showcased in Young/Holt Unlimited.
Grady Tate. Very tasteful yet very rhythmic. In addition to playing with jazz greats like Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery, he also accompanied Paul Simon.
Russ Kunkel. Very solid, great sounding player who made brushes sound great on James Taylor's " Fire and Rain".
Dino Danelli. Great back beats, fills and bass lines in essentially a 3pc band. Very good showman.
Floyd Sneed-Original Three Dog Night drummer. Really ahead of his time. In fact all of those guys who backed up TDN were superb.
Max Weinberg. As Bruce and the E-Streeters know, they wanted someone, who wasn't looking to be the next Ginger Baker. Yet as we've seen on Conan and w/Bruce, Max is no slouch.
Merel Bergante. Lesser known yet very good drummer w/Loggins & Messina. Really clean.
Dave Garibaldi -The ultimate funkmeister
Last but not least, the Funk Bros' trifecta of Benny Benjamin, Uriel Jones and Pistol Pete Allen. Without them, and their Detroit colleagues, there would be no Motown sound.

Last edited:

GrowthMusic

Chris Adler (very creative in a somewhat "narrow" field of metal)
Danny Carey (his blend of creativity and sheer power is great)
Tomas Haake (there's literally nothing that he isn't good at)
Gavin Harrison (see Haake)

CalebL721

John Bonham
Dave Grohl
Patrick Carney
Ian Vanek

Ian Vanek is kind of underground, he plays for JAPANTHER, look them up if you don't know them. Cool Lo-Fi punk band.

supermac

When I started as a kid:

(Mainly mid-70s UK glam rock beats, usually tom-based shuffle grooves)
The Glitter Band
Slade
Showaddywaddy
Sweet
Suzi Quatro!

When I started getting serious:

(mainly classic albums)
Bonham...big time
Peart...big time
Copeland
Moon
Cobham
Simon Phillips, etc

Then:

(mainly fusion-type albums)
Weckl
Vinnie
Chambers
Omar Hakim
Gadd, etc

More recently:

(mainly through educational DVDs)
Benny Greb
Gavin Harrison
Jojo Mayer
Todd Suchermann
Steve Smith
Marco Minneman
John Riley, etc

oh, and belatedly
Buddy Rich!

The top eleven off the top of my head:

Bonham
Grohl
Sean Kinney
Matt Cameron
Neil Peart
Mick Tucker
Stan Lynch
Joey Castillo
Tim Alexander
Gregg Bissonette
Phil Ehart

I could go on forever.

er-minio

Dave Grohl (not musically, but I was a kid at the time and got me obsessed with drums)
Carter Beauford (most influential)
Luke Flowers (with Cinematic Orchestra)
Dennis Chambers
Steve Jordan
Brad Wilk (my first band ever was a RATM cover band)

SbrickwallS

1. Peter Chris got it started for me as a kid. He was my idol in my early days.
2. Lars Ulrich took rock to another level for me in middle school.
3. Niko McBrain taught me that you can combine skill with rock/metal and I was hooked
4. Mike Portnoy's non-stop creativity will forever be in my character thanks to him

I learned to resect all of the other drumming greats like John Bonham and Neil Peart at a later date and give them lots of credit to my influences, but the big 4 listed above, I was there in the moment with them and will probably never forget the first time I heard each one of them for the first time.

chick82

Max Roach
Mel Lewis
Jack Dejohnette
Philly joe Jones
Elvin Jones
Roy Haynes
Louis Hayes
Papa Joe Jones
Alan Dawson
Buddy
Morello