"Drummers are dumb"

matthew

Sorry!! But now that I have your attention. (i'm also a drummer btw)

My friend asked me "when did the stereotype that drummers are dumb" start?

I thought it might have been animal from the muppets giving that impression.

Does any one know where it originated from?

Big Foot

Silver Member
yeah, I know, and I'm ugly too...

I have no idea where it started but my guess is it started with a singer. I'm just GENERALIZING from personal experience. And of course not all our fellow musicians think we're dumb.

Thaard

Platinum Member
Guitarists are egocentrical douchebags, vocalists are wimps in girly outfits and bassists are actually a breed of neanderthals. There, now you got your stereotypical band.

MisterMixelpix

Silver Member
Well it's because, to the untrained, a drummer just sits back there and counts to four. Plus look at rock bands from the past. They didn't do a WHOLE lot compared to the rest of the band so it seemed like all a drummer had to do was keep time. I blame AC/DC and the Rolling Stones, mainly.

zepplin92

Guitarists are egocentrical douchebags, vocalists are wimps in girly outfits and bassists are actually a breed of neanderthals. There, now you got your stereotypical band.
Yep sounds like you hit the nail right on the head there man. made me laugh.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Actually the Stones' Charlie Watts does a lot more outside of the Stones. It's just their music that made him sort of only a timekeeper.

Yeah, somehow drummers got labeled that way. But I've found through the years that the less somebody knows about music, the bigger thier ego. The more they know about music, the more respect they give the drummer as being an intergral part of the band and the more humbled they are.

The average teenybooper or twentysomething guitar player who has been playing maybe 6 months to a year will think they invented music and have the universe-sized ego. While those of us who have been playing longer are a lot more humble and easier to work with.

madgolfer

Drums are easy to "play," but very difficult to play well. Anyone who has ever played with a drummer who fills too often, has weak time, and a bad sound (any of this sound familiar?) might be tempted to arrive at this conclusion.

The glut of drummers out there trying to play as fast and loud as possible doesn't help either. Dynamics people!

T

TheArchitect

Well it's because, to the untrained, a drummer just sits back there and counts to four. Plus look at rock bands from the past. They didn't do a WHOLE lot compared to the rest of the band so it seemed like all a drummer had to do was keep time. I blame AC/DC and the Rolling Stones, mainly.
No, its because too large of a percentage of "drummers" i have come across don't know they are supposed to count to 4.

YCP_MusicMan

Well I think it lends to the stereotype that drummers/percussionists aren't musicians. In this day and I age...I am starting to believe that the majority of drummers in the world are becoming less and less musical. They just look at the small picture and play a groove...not thinking wether or not it compliments their musical setting...or they just bang all over the set when I solo/fill opportunity comes up...instead of using the toms as a melodic tool or listening to fragments of the songs melody and emulating them in the fill/solo to enhance the song. Now...on the other hand...there are many musical drummers out there. Carter Beauford is a great example of a musical drummer. Everything he plays...has a purpose. It isn't just to play it. If that makes sense....

maddrummr

Platinum Member
"Intelligence runs in score order" :p

Everybody has their stereotypes. Whoever believes those stereotypes is the stupid one really.

If someone calls me a stupid drummer. I will do two things: Play in 5/4 and/or give him music.

Big Foot

Silver Member
Well those dumb drummers who can or can't count to 4 and fill all day are usually playing along side the 3 cord rock stars - so I guess it's a level playing field.
And yeah Carter Breauford is fantastic but the rest of the band, and the leader, are pretty lucky to have him. That band is pretty MOTR and so are the individual players, apart from Beauford.

S

sufc.loyal

What about keyboard players?

-Jonathan
Keyboard players.

From my experiance, they are people, who mainly play at the back of the band, with the drums, but really want to be up the front, wanting to to look prity, and all cool.

The keyboard player that has played with us for the last year, has an ego, the size of Big Ben, always, turns his keyboard up during a song, so at the end all you can hear and see is a prick playing a keyboard.

He is the sort of pratt that likes to close his eyes while singing the harmonys, why, maybe he thinks he looks cool.

I know that all our wifes that come and surport us, all laugh at him while he does his bit..

I do not like people with big ego,s the only reason that i will take 6 pairs of sticks with me to a gig is so i can play with one set and throw the other 5 pairs at him through out the coarse of the gig.

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
I'd say it's attributed to the fact that we need not know a lot of musical thoery, in repect to chords and scales, which guitar and bass can converse on, leaving us, generaly, out in the cold.

con struct

Platinum Member
All instrumentalists have jokes made about them.

Why do clarinet players put their instrument cases on their dashboards? So they can use handicapped parking.

What do you call a beautiful woman on a trombone player's arm? A tattoo.

brittc89

Pioneer Member
Probably from the fact that most drummers know nothing of "music" but only how to play the drum set, yet always want respect from other musicians. That could be it.