Drummers and Interesting Drum Related Threads on Twitter?

Caz

Hi everyone, I've just signed up to Twitter to promote drum related things like transcriptions which I've done already or will do in the near future. Likewise it'd be good to link up with other drummers in 'the community'. Is anyone here on Twitter who posts about drum/music related stuff? Please reply with your user name so I can come 'follow' you and other people on Drummerworld can find you too.

I don't really know much about it yet - are there any cool drum-related groups or anything we can join? Basically I'd like to know about anything that it has to offer that'll be useful/educational/interesting as a drummer. The best thing I can see about it so far is that if you post a transcription you can tag the musician to let them know you've done it - seems like a nice way to make contact with people.

I've added my Twitter page to my signature so it should hopefully come up below - if you're already a member please subscribe to my page, I'll try to keep posting new transcriptions and things periodically :)

ddrumman2004

I used to have a Twitter account and followed some musicians, most were drummers, as well as other folks.

But it seemed that if you didn't post much, people quit following you and someone was always posting links to get followers as well as deleting followers who don't "tweet" much.

So I said to heck with Twitter and just stick with Facebook.

Good luck with your Tweeting!

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Hi I'm still wondering how to use Twitter myself, although I do have an account. I've posted a few links, but that's basically it. So I subscribed to your page just to see how it works !

A.

Caz

ddrumman2004 - yeah it is a bit weird so far, it's taking a while to get used to. I don't think I'd ever tweet that regularly - some people seem to do it every hour! But as far as posting up things like transcriptions and drum related stuff I thought it could be a useful tool and was hoping more drummers would be using it - admittedly so far it seems to point more towards celebrity gossip and gig advertising. It has potential though, I'll keep it up for a while and hope for the best.

Alain Rieder - glad to see you there, I really wish I could explain more about how it works but I'm afraid I'm a confused newbie too. I've figured out that putting the @ command infront of a name lets you tag someone - which is great if you're talking about a band or musician and want to include them. Other than that I'm lost!!

Caroline

RollingStone000

Silver Member
Yeah, Twitter is an interesting beast. It's get a lot more credit than it deserves to a certain degree; mainly because of the media. I've seen some security conference stuff where firms have analyzed twitter statistics and it's still a fairly small percentage of the national and even worldwide population using the service.

I'm basically following several drummers, a few random news sites, and about an equal share of hip hop emcees and producers and tech industry news and developers etc. It's basically another news feed. Although, guys like @davechappelle and @kattwilliams are a freaking riot. Then again you see some people on there where when you refresh your timeline, they're constantly tweeting or retweeting random none sense.

Are you guys using any particular mobile app or is it just through the website? I myself am using Tweetcaster (I've tried out all of them on android). I found that if you hit YouTube and check out reviews or tutorials on a particular app it helps a whole lot on how to use it.

Oh yeah, I'm @browncornelius.

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Hey Caz, follow me on twitter for tons of drum talk! @kindbeats is the name! :)

Edit: I just saw your sig and am now following you. :) Hope you enjoy twitter. It's great for musicians!

Caz

Hey RollingStone000, yeah I see what you mean about the media attention.. I definitely had a different impression of what it would be like before joining. Although it seems to be going well so far, signed up to loads of different drummers and it's nice getting regular streams from people to keep you motivated. I don't have a phone app or anything like that yet, just using the internet. I'm in Japan until August and they use a different phone network here so my regular phone doesn't work, I'm just using a cheap one I got here - and I don't think it would support apps or anything.

Hi Kindbeats - added you on. Thanks for the shout out on there! I'm not sure how to reply to people on there yet.. but I appreciate it and I enjoy seeing your posts :)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm on Twitter, and I make 2 tweets a year. I don't have that much to say that can be said in 140 characters or less, and I'm not interested in what most people have to say in 140 characters. So I rely on site and forum-based communcations to send and receive information.

Tweets are fine as long as you also make those announcements in forums, etc. for those of us who aren't geared to smart phones and SMS.

Bermuda

Caz

Bermuda.. It seems people have to sign up first to try it out and decide whether or not its useful. Things like the 140 character max I didn't know about in advance, as until you're a member you can't really tell much about it. But I've followed the hype and will try it out for a while at least - from what I can tell so far it doesn't have some of the benefits which I thought it would, although has others which I wasn't expecting. Of course it's no substitute for interacting with drummers on a forum like this, but since it's of a different nature I'm curious to see if it can open any other doors.

Hey Thesleepingwell, I've added you too - I'm not going to be back home for another couple of months but hoping to work on some more transcriptions in the meantime which I can post later. As a beginner, if you've any suggestions for the kind of thing you'd find helpful to see posted please let me know.

Cheers, Caroline

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Of course it's no substitute for interacting with drummers on a forum like this, but since it's of a different nature I'm curious to see if it can open any other doors.
It's ideal for reaching people who are interested in hearing from you, and they can be targeted when you want. And so it only works when people are 'following' you - you'll need to build a fanbase of followers.

Bermuda

mg33

alright ... I am now following you.
just watching right now. new to this as well.

I do like the ability to see who other people are following.
kinda cool.

my twitter thing is ... @drums_marshall