Drummer with a DJ

alvanko

IMHO. It was a cool idea back in the '70's Disco era. That was quite big here in Akron Ohio in the '70's. I know I always wanted to do it, but that was quite a while ago.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I guess I don't get out much. I've never seen a solo drummer playing along with a DJ at a dance club. It's a pretty cool concept IMHO. Especially if the drummer is really good and flashy and can put on a good show. I really admire those drummers that can put on a good show. I'm really kinda boring myself as far as that goes

moontheloon

Silver Member
that was popular here in the north east USA in the 1990s.........and more recently Travis Barker made it popular again with DJ am.....and that was eh....because Barkers playing is eh.....but DJ am was fantastic

Ive done it for entertainment at parties and just for fun with some DJ friends playing some drum n bass funk and hip hop grooves and soloing a bit .....definitely a good time....with a good DJ anyway....one who knows how to create textures

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
You can look at guys like Jojo Mayer, that kind of music would be suited with a dj, maybe hip hop or glitch beat. But I don't think any main stream music would be good at all with a live drummer. Would add to it i guess, but it wouldn't be any bit interesting for the drummer me thinks. If the two kinda play jazz off one another, improvise, thats what works in this situation I think anyway.

D

drumfreak1987

back when i lived in ft worth, i had some rapper friends (not that n***a, b*itch, cadillac, and nike crap on the radio, really gripping lyrical content, about social issues and things like that). one of my friends and a dj he collaborated with asked me to sit in. so i brought my kick, snare, ride and hats. no one at the bar had seen a line up like that, but when we hit it, it was dyn-o-mite!! we threw down together as much as we could after that! i want to do that again soon

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Ive done it for entertainment at parties and just for fun with some DJ friends playing some drum n bass funk and hip hop grooves and soloing a bit .....definitely a good time....with a good DJ anyway....one who knows how to create textures
-- It sounds like a blast. I was once asked to play solo at a 5k run in Merced. I guess they were hard up for entertainment. I turned it down, but if they had a DJ I would've.

You can look at guys like Jojo Mayer, that kind of music would be suited with a dj, maybe hip hop or glitch beat. But I don't think any main stream music would be good at all with a live drummer. Would add to it i guess, but it wouldn't be any bit interesting for the drummer me thinks. If the two kinda play jazz off one another, improvise, thats what works in this situation I think anyway.
-- I don't play much Jazz myself, but I think hip hop is fun to play along to sometimes. In the club setting, it's a great idea for adding another layer to those dance beats. Plus, he/she is another level of entertainment like those girls dancing on the elevated platforms.

back when i lived in ft worth, i had some rapper friends (not that n***a, b*itch, cadillac, and nike crap on the radio, really gripping lyrical content, about social issues and things like that). one of my friends and a dj he collaborated with asked me to sit in. so i brought my kick, snare, ride and hats. no one at the bar had seen a line up like that, but when we hit it, it was dyn-o-mite!! we threw down together as much as we could after that! i want to do that again soon
--That would be cool to get a steady gig doing that. I like experimental music. I was once in a band with a singer, 3 bass players and myself on drums. I wish there was a good recording of us because it was really cool.

D

Doctor Dirt

I'm a professional musician who is a drummer, I support live music first. The prerecorded music used by a dj has assisted in the demise of venues that original featured live music. Soon there will be fewer and fewer venues to perform in and prerecorded "sampling" will continue to replace local live musicians. Its bad enough that arts and music is being cut back and eliminated from grade schools when we finish off the venues for young and older musician to be seen and heard the "live" element of performance will fade.
Its coming! Doc

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I did this kind of gig a few years ago for a while.
I didn't use a full kit though, just electronic pads and some percussion gear. From time to time I'll do these again with Street Drum Corps, but again, not a full kit, just our street or marching gear, We performed at The Electric Daisy Carnival back in June and it was like having a whole drumline performing with various DJ's. Lots of fun!!!

There is a small market for it, I know of a few guys who make a decent living just playing with DJ's in LA, SF, and Vegas.

mendis56

Together they de-construct, re-edit and remix massive dancefloor fillers live and on the fly in an uproarious stage show. While Al chops-up, blends and scratches tracks the audience know and love (think everything from Jay Z to AC/DC and Rihanna to Nirvana) Ryan weaves some insane live drum breaks over the top creating a wholly interactive show that not only sounds amazing but is visually stunning too.

==============
American Airlines|British Airways

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I did this kind of gig a few years ago for a while.
I didn't use a full kit though, just electronic pads and some percussion gear. From time to time I'll do these again with Street Drum Corps, but again, not a full kit, just our street or marching gear, We performed at The Electric Daisy Carnival back in June and it was like having a whole drumline performing with various DJ's. Lots of fun!!!

There is a small market for it, I know of a few guys who make a decent living just playing with DJ's in LA, SF, and Vegas.
A whole drum corps with you on a set and DJs? That would be wild.

Together they de-construct, re-edit and remix massive dancefloor fillers live and on the fly in an uproarious stage show. While Al chops-up, blends and scratches tracks the audience know and love (think everything from Jay Z to AC/DC and Rihanna to Nirvana) Ryan weaves some insane live drum breaks over the top creating a wholly interactive show that not only sounds amazing but is visually stunning too.
I'm sure there are a few of you out there that are talented enough to pull off an amazing show like that. That's it, I gotta see one now.

I'm a professional musician who is a drummer, I support live music first. The prerecorded music used by a dj has assisted in the demise of venues that original featured live music. Soon there will be fewer and fewer venues to perform in and prerecorded "sampling" will continue to replace local live musicians. Its bad enough that arts and music is being cut back and eliminated from grade schools when we finish off the venues for young and older musician to be seen and heard the "live" element of performance will fade.
Its coming! Doc
I hear what your saying, Doc. It's kinda cool because it's dance music with a live drummer rather than just a synthetic beat produced by a machine. People will always want to hear live music, but I agree that these venues are getting fewer and fewer. I guess times are changing. At least drummers can find new venues to play in.

Man, that was really cool. That's what I'm talking about. Good stuff!

Ted T

There's a group of drummers that do things like that here in Phoenix. I joined them once in a small club. They actually had two acoustic kits set up on the floor next to the DJ's box, a 5pc and a 4pc. For the first hour or so they had both kits going, then we realized it would be better to have just the one. We basically just compliment the grooves of the song and add more meat, dynamics, and flash. It got pretty crowded and the people were practically dancing on the kit. This was from maybe 10 to 2.

The crowd, DJ, and club owner dug it. They let me sub in for a little while and I had a blast. Not my kind of music at all, but I always have fun playing disco beats.

moontheloon

Silver Member
Its coming! Doc
a DJ is an artist

we are not talking about a guy who puts on a CD and goes to get a drink

these guys have a craft ....and art....and each their own style

stop being so closed minded

you sound like all the paranoid musicians in the '80s who thought the sequencer was going to put them out of work

its not going to happen

live music is alive and very very well and paying my bills ....just like a lot of us

there is room for all of us to make a living ....and even more so if you get your head out of your ass and learn to adapt instead of sitting on the porch with a glass of lemonade and complaining about how things arent like the good old days

a DJ is an artist

we are not talking about a guy who puts on a CD and goes to get a drink

these guys have a craft ....and art....and each their own style

stop being so closed minded

you sound like all the paranoid musicians in the '80s who thought the sequencer was going to put them out of work

its not going to happen

live music is alive and very very well and paying my bills ....just like a lot of us

there is room for all of us to make a living ....and even more so if you get your head out of your ass and learn to adapt instead of sitting on the porch with a glass of lemonade and complaining about how things arent like the good old days
Agreed.

DJ'ing in the artistic performance sense is very much a form of drumming just a different perspective & method of executing rhythm. The lessons drummers stress (hand technique, dynamics, etc.) are directly applicable to the DJ as well (Youtube DJ Q-Bert for an example).

Jojo Mayers Prohibited Beats also has some good commentary on this issue.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Its coming! Doc
It's happening everywhere. Here we don't even get DJ's.......at least a drummer is still provided an opportunity to perform with a DJ. Our venues have been over run by slot machines.....you can't play along to one of those.

All in all, dance music tends to be very "beat heavy" ........what better way to provide that beat than a live drummer? The way I see it, it's just another example of what can be done on the instrument. There are many paths to follow. A drummer, a guitarist, a bassist and a singer are but one of them.......a drummer and a DJ are nothing more than another avenue to explore.

Who knows, some of those punters may get to hear what a real drum sounds like and demand more of it. Can't see any downside in that.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
With this kind of music MAYBE options for other musicians will drop. But then again, guitarists, sax players, they always had more opportunities to play ala, busking, one man shows and such. With Techno, house, jungle, even newer dubstep, they all have so many opportunities for us drummers. Just another wave of music that we WILL be included in if we take our heads out of our asses :p All the time i see people saying " oh in 15 years there will be no drummers, just machines" Absolute bull s**t. Start becoming an entrepreneur,a leader. Get together with a dj or a producer and get involved. I dont think many Dj's will ask us to play with them, we have to muscle ourselves in on this music, and it will be better for it.