Drummer´s First Song.

JustJames

Platinum Member
...I don't think I´d have the nerve to play with people who can actually play their instrument. ...
The great thing about playing drums is that you can simplify a drum part down to the point where it is within your grasp, and then learn and add the complexities that are...wait...were beyond you.

As long as you are keeping time, you can drive the band while you learn the fancy stuff.

You can acshly play your instrument!

calan

Silver Member
I think maybe about two months. Not that I was working on that song for that time, but it took me that long to develop the capacity to do it. I probably worked out the song in an afternoon. It was "Burden in my Hand" by Soundgarden, btw. My hands were way beyond my feet, I had been in school for several years in concert band, so most of my time was spent learning how to incorporate feet and just getting the different approach down.

I've never really been very interested in doing that type of thing. Shortly thereafter, I found a couple of buddies that I was in school band with that also wanted to rock. I do think that's the best way to really learn: in a band with other people who are also learning, with no stakes, just for the joy and adventure of doing so.

OP: what Deftones song are you wanting to learn? There's no reason you can't work it out on your own, and either simplify or rework the parts you can't make out. I would maybe look to an older track, like My Own Summer. The songwriting back then was a little simpler, but a lot of the elements that are still staples of Abe's playing today are still in there.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Day 1 of owning a drumset.

I had already been playing drums for almost a year at that point, and also had 7 years of piano under my belt before that. I got some sheet music for my first song, and I mentally learned and practiced it. The night I got my first drumset, I sat down, ran through it a few times, played it to the song once or twice, and bam, got it down.

Not really fair because of my prior experience, but I'm assuming we're talking about drumset context here, so....there ye go!

tcspears

Gold Member
When I started, I was playing 18th century fife and drum music. I think the first song that I played through was British Grenadiers or maybe Yankee Doodle...

I moved from that to concert snare, bass drum, and timpani. The first song I really played was Hungarian Dance no. 5, I played the timpani part.

When I eventually moved to drum set I went into jazz so I wasn't really learning drum parts, more the feeling of it. But the first song that I ever tried to play was Cole Porter's Love for Sale (nowhere near the tempo of BR's arrangement, and nowhere near the skill).

When I was growing up, my parents couldn't afford a drum set, so I took a concert snare and then built a set of drums around it, using plastic drums. So I spent my first drumset years just playing on buckets interestingly enough...

2underpar

Silver Member
ZZ Top - La Grange

Mid 1970's

It was the first song my little garage band could play that came out somewhat recognizable. After that we started to dream about selling out arenas worldwide. Then we realized we should learn a few more songs.

Ajax

I think maybe about two months. Not that I was working on that song for that time, but it took me that long to develop the capacity to do it. I probably worked out the song in an afternoon. It was "Burden in my Hand" by Soundgarden, btw. My hands were way beyond my feet, I had been in school for several years in concert band, so most of my time was spent learning how to incorporate feet and just getting the different approach down.

I've never really been very interested in doing that type of thing. Shortly thereafter, I found a couple of buddies that I was in school band with that also wanted to rock. I do think that's the best way to really learn: in a band with other people who are also learning, with no stakes, just for the joy and adventure of doing so.

OP: what Deftones song are you wanting to learn? There's no reason you can't work it out on your own, and either simplify or rework the parts you can't make out. I would maybe look to an older track, like My Own Summer. The songwriting back then was a little simpler, but a lot of the elements that are still staples of Abe's playing today are still in there.
It is an old song of theirs, it´s "Lifter" by Deftones from their Adrenaline album. I´ve figured out the basics but towards the end, it gets a bit murky for me. I don't currently know anyone (i don't think) who has just picked up an instrument...

MJD

Silver Member
When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade in music class one of the teacher's drum students came in and played wipeout. When he left I said that I could do that so the teacher handed me a pair of sticks and sat me behind the drum set he had in the room and I played wipeout and a beat behind the instrumental section. No bass drum as i couldn't reach the pedal yet. That would have been the first time I held sticks. I started taking lessons after that and it took a little bit to get the bass drum going but by the end of 4th grade I was good enough to play drums for the Dixieland number our chorus did in the school concert. Of course by the time of the above story I had been taking piano lessons for 2 years and violin lessons for several months so I wasn't entirely musically inexperienced but that is when I added drums to the instruments that I play and they remain my main instrument. Eventually I added guitar and bass guitar as well.

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
After a month, I could play through a favorite pre-war blues song called "Some of These Days," with a train beat. At two months, I had a good grasp on my money beat, and could play Uptown Funk, and Billy Jean (which everyone encouraged me to play because it's the perfect/easiest money beat song out there). By three months, I was playing The Story by Brandi Carlile (thanks to a couple people here giving me tips on how to nail the awesome tom pattern), and now at four months there are many songs I can play along to (with some decent fills, even).

I don't play them note for note, but that isn't that important for me right now. My goal for a song is this: if there is a packed bar, and the band's drummer was randomly knocked unconscious and a drummer was desperately needed to prevent a malevolent god from striking us all dead, I could fill in, and play without embarrassing myself.

We all need goals. That's mine.

Stroman

Platinum Member
My goal for a song is this: if there is a packed bar, and the band's drummer was randomly knocked unconscious and a drummer was desperately needed to prevent a malevolent god from striking us all dead, I could fill in, and play without embarrassing myself.

We all need goals. That's mine.
That's a great goal. ..........

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
My first "accurate" song was "Some On The Water" by Deep Purple (playing along the record)

After about 4 - 5 months playing drums I auditioned for a hard rock band called Hades, they had me twice the same week and offered me the drummer's seat on the second audition, all original materials, so it was my first time playing songs with other musicians, I never looked back since.

Ajax, you really need to play with others, it's a completely different feeling, you'll enjoy it ;)

However, I really want to learn a deftones track that I sent to my instructor but he´s just making me practice 3 beat modules that bore my arse off. I know it´s a necessary step but I´m just impatient. I can play along to the Deftones track I want to learn but there are some parts in the song that are murky over the drums and I can not hear what the drum parts are (no video or footage online) so i need some help with it.
Maybe those links can help you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QM5eFwu9DA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPLnAy-AZIE

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
That's a great goal. ..........
Thank you. Now we just need random, unconscious drummers so I can test myself.

I was going to say that we could go back in time and find Frosticles as a young chap, but I am guessing he could still play whilst unconscious. :|

(Also, the role of malevolent god is still up for grabs)

Stroman

Platinum Member
Thank you. Now we just need random, unconscious drummers so I can test myself.

I was going to say that we could go back in time and find Frosticles as a young chap, but I am guessing he could still play whilst unconscious. :|

(Also, the role of malevolent god is still up for grabs)
I rarely drum while unconscious. Semi-conscious, yes.

Maybe I'll apply for that malevolent god position...

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
I rarely drum while unconscious. Semi-conscious, yes.

Maybe I'll apply for that malevolent god position...
Get your application in. The position closes on February 1, 2016. One page or less on what makes you divinely evil.

I'd be perfect for the role, apart from the malevolent part.

Darn....missed it by that much!
Oh come now, I think if you worked at it, you could slip into the roll. ;)

fess

I learned to play ' Walk don't run' by the Ventures. Had all the Ventures albums and tried to copy whatever Mel Taylor was doing.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Oh come now, I think if you worked at it, you could slip into the roll. ;)
Knowing that you are a literate sort of person, I suspect that you did that on a porpoise.

Me being such an innocent soul, I can't think what you could mean by that.

Ajax

My first "accurate" song was "Some On The Water" by Deep Purple (playing along the record)

After about 4 - 5 months playing drums I auditioned for a hard rock band called Hades, they had me twice the same week and offered me the drummer's seat on the second audition, all original materials, so it was my first time playing songs with other musicians, I never looked back since.

Ajax, you really need to play with others, it's a completely different feeling, you'll enjoy it ;)

Maybe those links can help you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QM5eFwu9DA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPLnAy-AZIE
Hades is a good strong name for a rock band.

Yes...ive tried those two links before. Problem is, footage of what Cunningham is doing on the later parts I´m not sure about is rare but I´ll be persistent with my instructor with this cos its a song I really want to learn accurately. :) Thanks though. Nice of ya.