Drumeo Or Mikes lessons?

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I know you asked about two specific teachers/platforms but I'll add a third which I feel is a little better than both, and that is Pat Petrillo's Drum Studio Live.

http://drumstudiolive.com/

You get all the benefits of online-based lessons but with what I feel is a more "personable" approach to it all (and I think a bit cheaper to boot!). In the end, yes, money is better spent on actual in-person lessons as many have already said, but if I had to choose an online platform Pat's would be the one. He has a ton of street cred and real-world experience in drumming and despite it all, is an educator first and foremost.

Juniper

Gold Member
I like Mikes Lessons as until recently I have been a paid member. Obviously it’s only Mike running the lessons but he covers a lot of different styles and varies it all up, offering lessons to beginners, intermediates and advanced.
Since the price hike for all content/new site I haven’t re-subscribed as I’m trying to limit my outgoings currently due to home situations but when that’s all sorted I’ll be straight back on it.

I’d recommend checking it out and you can cancel your subscription at anytime.

S

savage8190

I don't get all the Drumeo hate...I haven't been around that long. I haven't used it either, but it looks very similar to Jamplay which I used when I played guitar. I find It's really hard to stay focused with sites like that; there is just so much information and so little guidance; it's easy to feel overwhelmed.

I will say though (and I've said it before), Drumeo is based in my local area and in my short time drumming I've now met 5 of their instructors (one of them I get in person lessons from) and they are all stand up guys; all very approachable, and passionate about drums and teaching. I wouldn't hesitate to sign up if that's how you're comfortable learning. I've thought about it myself...

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
You know, drumandpace, you have such an interesting PR-friendly way of speaking about Drumeo. You must really, really care about their reputation to join two days ago and make your only two posts in this thread including statistics about Drumeo and deflecting criticism of Jared. I'm sure your motivation is completely sincere though!
Wouldn't be the first time we have a Jared shill!

Brian

Gold Member
You know, drumandpace, you have such an interesting PR-friendly way of speaking about Drumeo. You must really, really care about their reputation to join two days ago and make your only two posts in this thread including statistics about Drumeo and deflecting criticism of Jared. I'm sure your motivation is completely sincere though!
That person obviously works for drumeo..what a joke. It irks me when people post advertisements for products and services, guised as "reviews".

Icetech

Gold Member
I have been here a long time and although the guy above looks fishy.. i have done personal teachers and drumeo and i would take drumeo over personal.. since you get the same service as a personal but also get to learn from an amazing ammount of great teachers. Best of both worlds.. and CHEAP...

And saying that.. i really don't like Jared.. i think he's very bad as the face of drumeo. although i respect him for what he has done.. Dave would be a much better poster boy and is a better host/teacher anyway :)

porter

Platinum Member

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
You need a drum teacher who can evaluate you and then give you feedback on what you're playing. Watching and listening to an online teacher is great but as you practice how will you know if you need help on your technique, your dynamics etc. I like Mike Johnston and watch his videos along with a few others. I'm a teacher and there's no substitute for live, in studio lessons.
I half-agree with you.

I tend to go to teachers for one thing. To understand base concepts and execute them correctly. As you say, a video can't tell you what part of something you're not fully doing correctly. A video can't look at your playing and suggest areas of study.

However. Once a teacher has you on the way to doing things correctly, it's surprising how much easier it is to get some good use out of online lessons. It's possible to execute some of the stuff in those videos less than correctly, which may make you feel like you got something from it, but it's kind of like learning to run before you can walk without tripping. It holds you back from the full potential of the online lesson.

So, yes, there's no substitute for a good in person teacher, but I think online stuff is a great supplement.

Lennytoons

You need a drum teacher who can evaluate you and then give you feedback on what you're playing. Watching and listening to an online teacher is great but as you practice how will you know if you need help on your technique, your dynamics etc. I like Mike Johnston and watch his videos along with a few others. I'm a teacher and there's no substitute for live, in studio lessons.

drumandpace

Drumeo is Jared's baby, but it's something completely different. It's a huge resource that has something for everybody. Lots of teachers, lots of courses, new lessons every day...
I couldn't agree more, Odd-Arne!

It's a humongous libarary and there's way too much for anyone to go through
Yes, BUT Drumeo wrapped many of those videos into courses on particular topics. And that makes it much more structured and manageable than Youtube, I think.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Many years ago when the "drumming system" was released Jard did a lot of heavy mailing and tons of typical fear based marketing, the method we all know to well, and if slightly evolved, just find anoying.

Drumeo is Jared's baby, but it's something completely different. It's a huge resource that has something for everybody. Lots of teachers, lots of courses, new lessons every day...

The drummers you see on their youtube vids usually make extra videos and instructional material available only to subscribers.

It's a humongous libarary and there's way too much for anyone to go through. You just choose what fits your interests. Not everything has the greatest educational value, but it's inspirational to get a bit of insight into so many drummers. Many people are famous, but those that are not are still mostly pros that apart from teaching drums talk about their own life and experiences in the business.

I haven't checked out Mike much, I only know I think he talks a bit too much about how hard stuff is. lol

These aren't the only resources, though.

Many of the forum members here give online lessons and there are quite a few big names, both performers and educatiors, that offer Skype lessons for a decent price.

Go to you favourite drummer's or dream teacher's web site and see. They might offer lessons.

drumandpace

I think this discussion has become too much Jared Falk-focused. Drumeo doesn't equal him. Drumeo has over 80 instructors and most of the courses are taught by people other than Jared.

And I can understand if you tried but do not like Drumeo (I've never used Mike's lessons). Learning online simply isn't for everyone. But as a matter of fact, 120,000+ people are using Drumeo and I can't imagine they are paying while not getting anything out of it.

If you want to see Drumeo from the inside first, check out my review (along with navigational guidance for the 1,000+ videos): http://www.kickstartyourdrumming.com/drumeo-review/

I hope that can help you make up your mind!

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Thousands of unimaginative drumeo/mikes lessons fanboys (who learn other peoples licks off a sheet and practice them repeatedly) will inevitably meet one day and realize that they're all a bit lame.

I would personally just get a teacher who can watch you and give you feedback (if you feel you need one) and if they don't keep you busy enough then just look at all the free resources floating around out there (there's almost too much).

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Many years ago (I've been here since 2004) there was a lot of controversy about Jared Falk ripping off an obscure instructional VHS by Johnny Rabb. I believe the whole issue nearly ended up in court. Falk copied the material verbatim and released under the 'Railroad Media' banner. A few people noticed it and Falk's reputation over here was very, very poor (and remains so amongst some of the old guard). It was a video on the 'one handed roll' if my memory serves.

Anyhow, a little while after this was all posted on here, Jared Falk set up an account and started posting. The issue was raised by a few posters (myself included) and Jared then recruited a load of his supporters to come over here and start shilling for him, defending his point of view. The fact that they'd all registered shortly after the issue was raised and within a day or so of each other said enough. Jared then went on a diatribe and, let's just say, made a few posts that further damaged his reputation.

So for a very long time, his name has been a rather dirty combination of words around here. I doubt many of those posters are still here but I remember it well.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Neither. If that's all you have to spend on lessons, find a real teacher locally, and spend your entire $360 annual budget on 2-3 months of weekly lessons. Spend the rest of the year practicing, and seeing and meeting as many local drummers as possible. Maybe consider investing a little more money in your musical development, if it's important to you... WHOOPS, old thread, I already commented on this...

GaryCost

Everyone learns differently. Some can learn just by hearing, others by watching, and yet some can learn from a book. So with that said, I'd try the online stuff to see how well you pick things up. If they don't take the time to explain things well or have bad camera angles then maybe a one on one instructor is indeed what you need. Remember, just because a person calls themselves a 'drum teacher' doesn't make him a 'good one'! Remember your school days?
The major benefit to a personal instructor is indeed the immediate feed back they can provide. Making sure your technique is correct etc.
Regardless of what you decide, it has to work for YOU!
Good Luck