DRUM TRACK- Billy Joel - Piano Man

newoldie

Silver Member
I love hearing these YouTube isolated tracks from popular hits and keep them on file as references. Even better than reading a transcription!

In this one, you can really appreciate all the color and nuances Ron Tutt put into the song's basic waltz. (Edited note: for some reason, the post's link to YouTube shows the video as unavailable but if you type in Billy Joel-Piano Man (Drum Track), the video is still available).

YouTube:

Ron Tutt/Piano Man article: https://www.psaudio.com/article/piano-man/

Mongrel

Silver Member
Thanks for putting that up-I love hearing any of these I can find. How refreshing to hear a "human" drum track that breathes and maintains an organic connection to the composition. Just a nice fat open tuning on the toms and actual DYNAMICS throughout. Great find.

Just for kicks I put LIVE BPM up to the speaker and it went from around 114 bpm up to 122 bpm and back down to 114 bpm for the ending. I only ran it once, but I appreciate a tune that breathes. No one that I know EVER complained about the tempo being "off" or how the song could have been so much better if only the drummer kept better time....lol.

newoldie

Silver Member
Thanks for putting that up-I love hearing any of these I can find. How refreshing to hear a "human" drum track that breathes and maintains an organic connection to the composition. Just a nice fat open tuning on the toms and actual DYNAMICS throughout. Great find.

Just for kicks I put LIVE BPM up to the speaker and it went from around 114 bpm up to 122 bpm and back down to 114 bpm for the ending. I only ran it once, but I appreciate a tune that breathes. No one that I know EVER complained about the tempo being "off" or how the song could have been so much better if only the drummer kept better time....lol.
How true, and an important observation on the BPM flow, varying as much as 8 bpm--I've not tried that yet but will definitely check that out on other songs.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That was really cool. I'll never listen to the song the same way again. The cymbals sonically sounded funny to me, like he was using Zilcos or something cheaper. Not that it mattered, just an ob.

newoldie

Silver Member
And the article written about this song, the drummer and his touch-- very well written and illustrative, a handy guide to listening...

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Until this very moment, I had no idea Ronnie Tutt played on that album. My old man was somewhat of an Elvis obsessive years ago, so I grew up having Ronnie in the TCB band highlighted and dissected on a regular basis.

Excellent drummer and a perfect performance on that song. The way he plays around with the 3/4 is great.