Drum throne re-covering question

RockNGrohl

I have a Tama First Chair round rider throne. I've had it for a few years but not that long. The PVC covering is splitting and looks like crud. I have some tape on one part but I look bad. I don't want to buy a throne cover and just hide the mess. It's past warranty I believe so Tama won't do anything about will they? I think it's because up here in Maine we get super cold winters, but also some hot humid days in the summer. Does temperature affect the PVC fabric? What would you do? Call a local upholstery place? Have any of you re-covered thrones before and what did you? And suggestions and advice would be appreciated guys!

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I'd still start by contacting TAMA anyway. They may choose to warranty it. If not, see what TAMA would charge you for a repair/replacement.
If that's not feasible contact a local automotive upholstery shop for a quote. If none of these pan out it may be time for a new throne.

RockNGrohl

I'm hot happy with Tama drums right now. I tried emailing Tama. Their site has no link for customer support anywhere to be found on the main page but I found the email link and Hoshino support phone number buried in links for the shoptama.com parts page. I emailed but no answer back after a week or so. So I called to speak to real person on the phone, and after going through menu after menu I got patched to a real person customer service representative line. After waiting on hold a computer voice told me to leave a voicemail message, then told me "error, error, there in no more room on this voicemail, error.." and hung me up! I may try again, but I'll have to look into other options. What's the deal, Tama? *shakes fist in disgust* ugh.. ha.. Not happy!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would try a fabric shop, get a piece of naugahyde or faux leather or heavy cloth and fo it myself. Grab a staple gun and go to work

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I'm hot happy with Tama drums right now. I tried emailing Tama. What's the deal, Tama? *shakes fist in disgust* ugh.. ha.. Not happy!
I had a similar issue with TAMA when I contacted them several times trying to get spec information on an 80's drum. I had no trouble getting through to customer service, but no one knew the answer (likely because this predated the internet and archiving) but no one at TAMA even offered to help find someone who knew the answer.

If you bought your throne through an authorized TAMA dealer, contact the dealer and see if they have any leverage for a replacement.

KamaK

Platinum Member
There are plush and pleather bar-stool-pull-over-slip-covers that you can get from BedBathBeyond... I forget what they're called... Something like a "stool duvet" or some fancy french sounding name.....

I grabbed a bunch as the median age of my bandmates passed 40.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Play it until you can afford to either buy a new drum throne or just the top. I like Pork Pie Big Boy thrones. I have two of them.

RockNGrohl

I'm thinking of looking into finding a durable fabric that will not wear and getting the seat it re-covered in that. I hate that other than the cracking vinyl, the seat is in super clean shape. Can't bring myself to just toss it out! There is a company up here in maine that recycles sail cloth from boat sails to make bags and purses and such. I have a wallet made of thick sail cloth. It has lasted for years now! I think a sailcloth seat if possible would look cool and work great don't ya think? I'll look into it. Happy 4th of July everyone!

lefty2

Platinum Member
I bought a sheepskin pullover drawstring cover for my old Tama round throne. Been using it for quite a few years now. I think it only cost $15 I've noticed another brand on the market but their name slips my mind right now.

Armor of Light

Weather and humidity levels affect PVC. It may not be PVC though. That material is frowned upon in the furniture manufacturing industry as it is not eco-friendly. Sure is a good material, though! A good seamstress or leather goods shop (not THAT kind) could whip you out one in a jif. Hell..I could do it for you at one of my companies upholstery centers. I doubt it would cost more than 20 bucks. Look on CL for a local craftsperson to do it. You could create the pattern yourself from the existing one.