Drum Set for Young Child?

MarkF786

I play the guitar and keyboards, so please forgive my intrusion into the drummer's world :) I have a four year old daughter who is big and intelligent for her age - she's about 3'8" and can fully hold an intelligent conversation, and most people think she's 6 - and she wants to get a drum set.

At home she likes to play with my guitars, keyboards, and hand drums, but after taking her to Sam Ash and Guitar Center 6 months ago where she played some drum kits, she keeps insisting that she wants a one. My wife and I have tried to talk her out of it, but she's persistent.

The best acoustic kit seems to be the junior Ludwig set, but it takes up a lot of room! I wouldn't mind if I knew she'd still be playing it years from now, but who knows if it's just a phase she's going through.

I'd really prefer the Roland HD-1 set, which I'd probably have fun with myself, but the price-tag is a bit expensive for a kid.

The Yamaha DD-65 looks interesting, though the pedals suck (and if you buy quality pedals to go with it, you're up in the same price range of the Roland HD-1).

Do you guys have any other suggestions of what I should consider? She really does want acoustic drums, but for space & noise considerations, I'd rather go digital.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark

larryz

Platinum Member
Hi there. I'd go the used cheap First Act or similar kids model route via Craigslist. You should really have no trouble find one for around $75. Certainly pay no more than $100 for anything. If she was a little older, maybe 8 or so I'd suggest a bop 4-piece kit, like Sonor Safari. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get many more replies, similar to mine.

My daughter is an adult now, but I remember the 4 years of age period with fondness. Great time to be a dad!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Hi there. I'd go the used cheap First Act or similar kids model route via Craigslist. You should really have no trouble find one for around $75. Certainly pay no more than $100 for anything. If she was a little older, maybe 8 or so I'd suggest a bop 4-piece kit, like Sonor Safari. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get many more replies, similar to mine.

My daughter is an adult now, but I remember the 4 years of age period with fondness. Great time to be a dad!
I Agree.I'm not a big fan of electronic kits,especially for beginers.They just don't feel like real(acoustic) drums.

Steve B