Drum room size

Gunzzz

I have to make a dedicated space if I'm to get back into drumming. Being a contractor/remodeller this is not a big deal for me. I can build it to a great spec for sound proofing. Problem is though as we develop a layout plan for our basement I'm left with an 8'x12' room for my setup. Ok it's pretty small...I really don't care but I'm wondering if the sound quality will suffer as a result?
Anyone else drumming on a closet??

Paul

johnwesley

Silver Member
I have a 9x11 studio and 2 drum sets that as you can see fit pretty close. Still have a few feet walking room on two sides. Fully sound proofed and works well although it is much more "open" sounding with the door open.

Attachments

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Ceiling height is more important. I'd rather have a small room with 10 or 12 foot ceiling than a larger room with 7 or 8 foot ceiling.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you were talking about a recording space, not just a general drum space.

Gunzzz

Thanks guys. Interesting site Retro, I've built a few HT rooms for clients and never thought of applying those principals. My space is so small I just figured I'll be happy with whatever I get.

Pylot

I built a 10X10 room. The ceiling is about 7'3". Used double layered sheet rock with green glue. Used double flooring and mass loaded vinyl to quiet down the floor. My room is free standing in my basement.

I have two full kits in the room and there is enough room for my brother to bring in a small amp and for us to jam.

I really wish I had built it 10X14. Even 10x12 would be better.

You will have multiple standing wave issues. So plan on crowding your room with some bass traps. I am about to build some for my room.

Figure you will need one in each corner, possibly along the ceiling wall too. I did a fair amount of homework but did not discover the ratio's until after the room was built. Post a pic for us when you are done.

G

Ghostnote

I just started building out my drum room in my garage. I was going to try to build it out to an established ratio, but instead opted to build it out to the largest size I could with the space I had to work with and deal with the resulting sonic issues later with room treatments. The dimensions of my inner room will end up being 13'×16' with a 9' 5" ceiling. Given the smallish footprint you have to work with, I would suggest the same.

Before I started building I took my rack tom into the different rooms of my house and gave it a few whacks in each room to give me a rough idea of what my starting point might sound like with different sized rooms and what I found was the smaller the room, the crappier my drum sounded.

running

opted to build it out to the largest size I could with the space I had to work with and deal with the resulting sonic issues later with room treatments... Given the smallish footprint you have to work with, I would suggest the same.
This advice depends on what someone is prioritizing, I think. Ratios are important in the sense that implementation up front will limit the amount of treatment needed on the back end to control the state of the room.

If someone offered me a 12 x 8 x 8 room vs 11 x 6.9 x 8, I'm taking the smaller one every time if I'm not prioritizing physical space. Remember that treatment takes up space in the room, too. So depending on dimensions there are scenarios where sacrificing wall length can actually buy you back that much or more space in treatments. It's all math and calculable up front.

That said, if you don't intend to record in there, it's a lot of work to figure the above out for not that much practical benefit. If it's just a play space you probably would be well served to give yourself as much room in there as you can so you're comfortable, can fit others in there to jam, etc.

octatonic

its all about ratios. try to make one of these work. http://www.odometer.org/misc/ht/
if you can't at least try not to have any two dimensions exactly the same.
This.

Or even multiples of one another- is a 20x10 room is suboptimal.

OP if you are a builder then slope the walls a few degrees from one another, so it is more of a trapezoid, than a rectangle.
90 degree angles aren't ideal.
Same with the ceiling.

Last edited:

Retrovertigo

My space is so small I just figured I'll be happy with whatever I get.
i definitely understand that! right now i would take any space i could get. and as others are pointing out, if it's more or a jam space and less about recording then this is all a bit more work then is necessary. also, if you put some gear or bookshelves along some of the walls then the room size just changed quite a bit so that's something to consider also.