Drum racks?

Zoofie

Hey guys
I just have normal tom mounting system , and i was wondering what are the advantages of having a drum rack?
Also , what about straight racks vs the ones that go round your kit?
Cheers guys!

For the most part, it's ease of set up. The rack gets set down in the same configuration and with all the tom and cymbal arms already set, you just plunk everything down and you're set up the same every time.

With stands (even with memory locks) you have to make sure the feet are in the right spot and fiddle a lot more to get your set up the same.

Another benefit is stability.

Spend a little time on the Internet looking at DW/PDPs, Gibraltar, Yamaha, Pearl racks. It will all make sense. Some have straight tubes, curved, V shaped.

The one advantage I found was the ability to move all of the toms, or the bass drum independently. Pull the rack to you and all of the toms are closer without moving the bass drum.

Oh cool cheers guys.
Another quick question , a really 'nooby' one it may seem :
Why buy a rack like http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/pearl-dr-503-drum-rack/9422

when you can buy one like this alot cheaper http://www.distrizic.com/images/pearl/racks/DR501C.jpg

Cheers!

Well simply because the first one has 3 sides the second one just has one, if you have a fair amount of pieces in your drumkit you'd want the 3 sided one so you have enough space to attach all your stuff.

One Other Reason Is That It Will PROBABLY save You Some Space!
Also They Look SWEET!

I've never had a rack system.
I happen to think that a rack system looks awful compared to a set with stands, including tom stands if using a large BD.

I'm sure there are good & bad points to using one & for certain setups maybe helpful to setting up & positioning, but I have no trouble with stands.
I would only use a rack if it was really necessary.

I've never had a rack system.
I happen to think that a rack system looks awful compared to a set with stands, including tom stands if using a large BD.

I'm sure there are good & bad points to using one & for certain setups maybe helpful to setting up & positioning, but I have no trouble with stands.
I would only use a rack if it was really necessary.

I feel the same way you do when it comes to average or small size kits, but if it is a big one it just looks too overloaded with all the stands...

I recently bought a old-ish Pearl PC-50 Rack and its awesome seeing as its 2nd hand, only problem is Im on a budget and the clamps are £18 each! Outrageous! Plus the curved ones are cheaper, so only 2 / 10 clamps to go >_<

Pearl Icon Racks are pretty dang sturdy so I would highly reccomend them, and dont go for a cheapo one as tempting as it is, they will fall apart.

Last edited:
I've never used a rack for local gigs or the studio, and don't really see an advantage for me.

But on tour - even though I'm just using a 5-pc - I have 5 cymbals, a Kat, and 3 mics that might otherwise be on separate stands, so a rack is indispensible for ease and consistency of setup, as well as a clean look. Since starting to use a rack in 1993, I don't recall ever having to tweak anything after my initial configuration, even after several hundred setups and teardowns.

It's a genuine time-saver that makes my (and my tech's) life easier.

Bermuda

Back