Drum mounting issues

MediocrityMaster

hopefully its in the correct spot here. but...
My 10" and 12" tom are drilled through the shell and there is a rod that goes through, the same is true with my bass drum, and im worried that the weight of the two toms is gonna deform my bass drum shell. i can already see the mount housing on the bass drum start to bend.
I'm also positive this is why my drums dont resonate together well.

But my main point is, should i get a new mounting system like Isolation mounts, and if so would the previous mounting system interfere with the new system.

I will have pictures as soon as possible.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If you get Rims mounts, (recommended) you remove any existing mounting hardware.

One thing you can do to prevent the weight of your toms from deforming your BD shell is to sacrifice an old cymbal stand, cut a section from the tubes that includes 2 sections of stand where they go inside one another. Duct tape foam rubber to both ends, put it inside the BD, expand it so it supports the shell at 12:00 and 6:00. The tube transfers the weight of your mounted toms to the bottom of the shell instead of the top. If you're worried that it still may deform, then you put something under the shell (right under the tube, maybe a piece of hard rubber) that transfers the weight to the floor. You could permamantly glue that on, no one will see it.

FWIW, I have always use BD mounted toms (without the tube) and have never had any issues with shell deforming.

You can also attach a dogbone to your support, and you can use the dogbone to hold a BD mic clip for added functionality. You can just leave the BD mic and cord in there all the time, less setup/breakdown.

MediocrityMaster

Thanks Larry,
so if i get Rims would the exisiting 7/8" holes in the shell be a problem?

Also, do you have any links to where i can get Rims, i've seen them before, but i cant find where to get them.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No, they magically change functions from mounting holes to shell vents. No worries except cosmetic.