drum kit with a black finish?

Rick H.

I used to have a black kit, like everyone else said its a good all around color, but also i would never clean mine and it never showed any dirt/dust
I have a white kit now and although i love the color every now and again if i don't give it a quick wipe down it starts looking pretty bad

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Awesome kit kona! Is that pre-long lug RC, or Tour?

I've always loved Black finished kits.
If not taken care of, they can look like crap, but that's on the owner.

I have Ludwig Super Classics (4 ply) & Classic Maple in Sable Black w/Long Lugs, and Classic Maple in Black Glitter Glass.

I also have Red Sparkle with the large Classic Lugs.

With the exception of a 400, a 402 and 402 Hammered, all my snares are black too. 3 BB's, a 6.5 and 8x14 in Black Glass Glitter, 6.5 Blackrolite, 5" World Max Black Brass...
Just ended up that way.

Black snares go with any finish kit though, just like chrome snares.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Awesome kit kona! Is that pre-long lug RC, or Tour?

I've always loved Black finished kits.
If not taken care of, they can look like crap, but that's on the owner.

I have Ludwig Super Classics (4 ply) & Classic Maple in Sable Black w/Long Lugs, and Classic Maple in Black Glitter Glass.

I also have Red Sparkle with the large Classic Lugs.

With the exception of a 400, a 402 and 402 Hammered, all my snares are black too. 3 BB's, a 6.5 and 8x14 in Black Glass Glitter, 6.5 Blackrolite, 5" World Max Black Brass...
Just ended up that way.

Black snares go with any finish kit though, just like chrome snares.
Thanks Karl. Actually the kit itself is the predecessor to the RC's according to yamaha 900 series badge numbers.

A

audiotech

I was never very fond of pure "piano black" finishes, but they do excel; when it comes to wedding receptions and corporate type parties. The closest finish I have to pure black is the "black sparkle sunburst" which gets used quite a bit in the above circumstances.

Dennis

Stroman

Platinum Member
I've had three black kits over the years. The first was a Ludwig six piece with power toms - 14X24 bass drum, 13X13 and 14X14 rack toms, and 16X16 and 18X18 floor toms. That kit had some bad bearing edges and I hated the deep rack toms, so off it went. The next I got as a cheap gigging kit - a Rogers R-380 standard 5 piece, which was a very poorly made kit with a finish that started peeling almost immediately and soft "mahogany" shells. Then came a Pearl thin-shelled maple in the old "Neil Peart" configuration. 6, 8, 10, and 12" concert toms, 12, 13, and 15" rack toms, 18" floor tom, and two 14X24" bass drums. Nice kit, but too much to pack around. I used parts of that kit for quite a few years until I sold it for a cross country move.

In the end, I found the black was functional enough, but boring. I won't be buying any more black drums kits. I love my Musashi snare I bought from Gruntersdad, but no more full kits!

Homeularis

Gold Member
I have mixed feelings about black kits. Its one of those things for me that I cant really explain.
I think some of it has to do with the mood I'm in.
Black kits are either very classy or very boring to me.

I think a black kit has to be surrounded with very nice and super clean hardware and cymbals, and then they just POP!.
If the cymbals and hardware are shabby looking, then...not so much.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I just love black kits/snares. My first rock n road was black and sveral snares I owned where black to.

My christmas present, the vintage jazz/bop Yamaha Recording Custom (with clear interior) have to clean it yet :p

My black custom piccolo snare:

Im waiting for the arrival of my 13x6,5 Anniversary Phoenix snare now:

Last edited:

jer

Silver Member
My kit is a black lacquer, but I didn't buy it because of the colour.

I will say that I kinda prefer my drums not to stand out so much on stage, and the black helps with that. Although it's a classic look, even the white reso I'm running now makes them pop a little more than I'd like.

Kona, I drool every time you post pics of those Yammies. I want.

omcd

I have always had black drums. I like the way the chrome stands out but my next set will be a black and silver fade. Also its easy to match add ons. However I really dont like the black lugs and hoops but I do like the gold hardware.

Attachments

Masheanhed

I've never liked solid colors on drums too much except for dark or royal blue or a dark red. I'd take black over white but these would be my last choice. Add sparkle to any color and it's a whole different story.

Mikecore

Silver Member
I got into black drums about 13 years ago because I was piecing together the kit from different brands. Black always matches. That led to a Pearl Export kit in good ol' #31 Jet Black (the wrap). It was nice when new, but it doesn't hold still after a few years, so I peeled the drums and painted the shells. Much better.

All of that is being replaced in the near future with a DW Performance series kit in Black Mirra. I've seen the Perf-series lacquers up close and they are the real deal. Very glassy.

I say black is great as a lacquer, but risky as a wrap finish. It helps if you overhaul them once a year, and take all the hardware off and clean everything. They can be a lot of work.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Black will never go out of style, it fits perfectly everywhere. It's "OK" for me.

White kits, on the other hand, are a lot stranger, but I'd love to own one.

Cheers

JDC

I've considered wrapping one of my kits in black. It's jamminsam's cheapest color and a good all-around fit for any venue, but then I see an ugly kit wrapped in black and I change my mind.

In my opinion, when a black kit looks good it's great, and when it looks bad it's awful.