Drum Guy , Cymbal Guy ?

baz

Silver Member
...or both.

The reason I ask is because of watching Nigel Olsen playing with Elton John this past weekend. First off all, the band was banjo string tight, and It was a greatv show.

I had a great sight line for the front of the stage, so I watched Nigel Olsen through out most of the show. He had (from what I could see) a seven piece kit, but it looked as if he only had hats, crash, and ride. On one song it looked like he had a second ride to his right, but I could not tell for sure. Regardless, he did a lot of tom rolls, and very little in the way of cymbal wankery. I would classify him as a drum guy.

Myself, I like a balance. If I am playing a four piece, it's two crash, hats and ride. I add another rideable crash, or crashable ride if I add another tom, but all in all I would call myself more of a cymbal guy, as I tend to use cymbals for wankery moreso than drums.

How about you ? If you would consider yourselves drum guys, or cymbal guys, how do you go about selecting the pieces that you feel are necessary for the sound and style that you are going for.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

Barry

mrchattr

Gold Member
I think it's really important to see the kit as one instrument, instead of in terms of it's parts. There are songs that I hear in a cymbal-guy kind of way. There are songs that I hear in a drum-guy kind of way. And there are songs that I hear in a balanced kind of way.

sticky.widget

5 toms, 12 cymbals.

"Wankery" aside, my motto is surround yourself with cymbals and you greatly reduce the odds of a swing-and-a-miss! An added advantage is that they help obscure those really dumb faces you make while playing...

Cheers!

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
...or both.

The reason I ask is because of watching Nigel Olsen playing with Elton John this past weekend. First off all, the band was banjo string tight, and It was a greatv show.

I had a great sight line for the front of the stage, so I watched Nigel Olsen through out most of the show. He had (from what I could see) a seven piece kit, but it looked as if he only had hats, crash, and ride. On one song it looked like he had a second ride to his right, but I could not tell for sure. Regardless, he did a lot of tom rolls, and very little in the way of cymbal wankery. I would classify him as a drum guy.

Myself, I like a balance. If I am playing a four piece, it's two crash, hats and ride. I add another rideable crash, or crashable ride if I add another tom, but all in all I would call myself more of a cymbal guy, as I tend to use cymbals for wankery moreso than drums.

How about you ? If you would consider yourselves drum guys, or cymbal guys, how do you go about selecting the pieces that you feel are necessary for the sound and style that you are going for.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

Barry
Hmmm, tough one. I'd say I'm a drum guy, but my current main band makes me a cymbal guy. Lots of cymbal accenting and whatnot. All while trying to not get out of hand with it.

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
Hmmmmmmmmm, I guess it depends on the gig. I have a 4 piece set, that I usually only have 4 or 5 cymbals on. Then I have a 6 piece set (Currently being refinished) with upwards of 10 cymbals (A lot of that is ice bells and cup chimes) and an 8 piece with close about 16 cymbals again, a lot of bells. I love using the bells to color songs and get a variety of sound affects. I utilize my toms as much as possible, and have a variety of cymbals for various sounds for emphasis, and variety but I guess use my toms and cymbals about equal.

Xavia_V3

I think it's really important to see the kit as one instrument, instead of in terms of it's parts. There are songs that I hear in a cymbal-guy kind of way. There are songs that I hear in a drum-guy kind of way. And there are songs that I hear in a balanced kind of way.
Agreed - I try to play both equally, like tom roll followed by a quick flirt on the bell of the ride, etc. and then into the groove - Works pretty nice

Jam Master

Cymbal guy here! Standart 5-piece drum set, around 8-9 cymbals at a time(total number of cymbals is 10 but I don't have enough stands to mount them all). I'm totally in love with all different sounds they create - from colorful to dry etc...

stasz

Platinum Member
1 Drum to each cymbal (4 and 4.) I like both pretty much equally.. like gmrakich said it's really just hitting things with wooden sticks : )

805Drummer

Gold Member
I play 1 up, 1 down, because I don't have two matching, working toms. Go figure.

And hi-hats, a crash, a ride, and a splash.

So I guess I'm pretty balanced...

LM201

Well, I have 4 drums and 4 cymbals. I like a balanced set up.

I hate drumsets with a crapload of cymbals and drums. I just can't play on them. I love small sets

Last edited:

Mastershake16

I think I'm a cymbal go you really (generally in my humble opinion) dont need many drums I will so be playing me new 1 up 1 down set starting with 2 cymbals n hats (adding more)

My reasoning being drums can be tuned and cymbals cant i like to have more sounds available to me is all, plus as zoro said, which do you really play more the cymbals or the drums sure you play 1 n 3 on the bass and 2 n 4 on the snare but the steady 8th notes are on a cymbal. thats all i have...

dwsabianguy

I'd say I'm definitely a cymbal guy. I probably have 11 cymbals on my 7-piece, four-tom kit with two snares.

But I'm also a sucker for snares. I LOVE a good snare, or five.

MatchedAndNumbered

I'd honestly see myself as neither a cymbal guy or a drum guy but rather, a situation guy.
I have drums and cymbals that fit all types of playing situations and musical styles.
My collections are both relatively equal in quantity so it's a stalemate.

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
Most of the bands I play in are the funky/latinish type Earth Wind & Fire/Kool & the Gang meets Santana/Gloria Estefan groove oriented music....

I basically play on a 4 piece kit, cowbell, woodblock, timbale, 2 crashes, 2 splashes, ride, and mini china....I also would like to incorporate and X-hat and crash-ride down the road ....

For me if I setup more toms I find myself gettting away from the pocket doing too much wankery with tom fills and such...Having less toms and more cymbals keeps me in the pocket but stills keeps it interesting by using the cymbals as setups and accents.....

So yeah I'm pretty much a cymbal guy :p