Drum free jazz?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Does anyone know of any drum free jazz tracks?? the hardest thing in playing a jazz song (along with keeping time) is improvising, and this is hard to do with tracks that already have drums on them. Any drum free tracks that you know of??

oops

Silver Member
Check out the John Riley books, Art of Bop and Beyond Bop, they both have cds with tracks like that.

Also The Art of Playing Brushes (DVD) has drum free tracks on a bonus cd.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
yeah, i have heard very good things about both the tracks and the books themselves. But I am torn between the two books, i don't know which one to buy...i have been told that you must study the art of bop drumming before digging into beyond bop drumming. But i have passed my grade 8 with distinction and have played with ochestras, and i feel that i am already a very sight reader, and have been playing jazz for 10years. Is beyond bop drumming up my alley??

dale w miller

Silver Member
I play free jazz/noise and not once have I studied it per se. Would purist say I play it in a Jazz sense? Probably not, but I release records including one that just came out with my duo DWMTG on a LP split with I Heart Lung this past April.

I my opinion what you need to do is just play it. Grab a few people who interested in either diving into the genre with you or be fortunate enough like me and have a mentor take you under their wing to show you the ropes.

Feel free check out the audio section of my website if you care check out some of the stuff I do. Some is free jazz/noise and some is Indie Pop/Indie Rock so may may have to siphon through a bit.

Last edited:

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I'm in the process of forming a jazz trio at the moment, but I just want to get MORE familiar with drum free songs, no drums to help me keep time or anything. i'll check out that site, thanks.

dale w miller

Silver Member
I'm in the process of forming a jazz trio at the moment, but I just want to get MORE familiar with drum free songs, no drums to help me keep time or anything. i'll check out that site, thanks.
You know, I just realized what you were asking. I thought you wanted FREE JAZZ, not JAZZ that didn't have any drums in it.

Sorry, what I am saying is not what you are looking for.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
You know, I just realized what you were asking. I thought you wanted FREE JAZZ, not JAZZ that didn't have any drums in it.

Sorry, what I am saying is not what you are looking for.
oh! well i guess thats my fault. Ya, i listened to your tracks and was very confused! :)