Drum Dial Discovery

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This may or may not be known, but it's new to me.

Talking tom toms here...
I've been playing 10 mil single ply heads now for about the last 2 or 3 years, and I wanted to try some 2 ply heads out, in an effort to get more sustain (more mass = longer sustain).

I'm real big on the attack of a tom, which means clear heads. I tried clear Pinstripes, Clear Emporers, and I lost the attack, that slap sound I like.

Then I put on clear G2's. (Sound heavenly music here)

But my point is......

When I went to tension the 2 ply heads w/ my trusty Drum Dial, (I know exactly how much tension I like), the note it sang was too low. Apparently, to get them to the pitch where I like them, a 2 ply head has to be like 10 marks tighter than a single ply head.

News to me!

So when people ask for drum dial recommendations, now it depends on what heads you are using.

The more I think about it, the more pitch pipes make sense. They're easier, lighter, cheaper, and really, I used the drum dial tension readings as a measurement of pitch anyway, that's the goal.

Anybody want a Drum Dial for a reduced rate?

T

TheArchitect

Drum Dials measure deflection. It stands to reason that a two ply head would need a higher drum dial reading to achieve the same pitch as a single ply head.

Not sure why this makes the DD useless though

RollingStone000

Silver Member
Just curious, but did you see any difference when you used the same style (2-ply) head, but from a different manufacturer (Evans/Remo). For example clear G2s and clear Emps, did you have to tension one higher to get the pitches the same or was there no difference?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Larry, when Im using two ply heads I have to back off on the resos also. I know from your previous posts that you like to keep your resos tighter than your batters.
Loosen your single ply resos up until they are slightly below the tension of your two ply batters on the dial and you should see what I mean.
I use clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors on my old Gretsch. I run my resos at about 73 to 75. My batters at about 76 to 77. I tune the batter on my (smallest) 12" tom at 77.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Drum Dials measure deflection. It stands to reason that a two ply head would need a higher drum dial reading to achieve the same pitch as a single ply head.

Not sure why this makes the DD useless though
Actually you're right, I will still use it on the reso's so that they are all the same tension.

Just curious, but did you see any difference when you used the same style (2-ply) head, but from a different manufacturer (Evans/Remo). For example clear G2s and clear Emps, did you have to tension one higher to get the pitches the same or was there no difference?
No, I played the clear emps and the clear pins for only about one minute each, plenty of time to realize I didn't like the tone, so I never fine tuned it

if you look at the chart that comes with the drum dial you will see that 2 ply heads have recommended higher tensions.
http://www.drumdial.com/drummer.htm
My chart never came with that. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

More mass also equals lower pitch.
Given the same tension, I would agree.

Sorry Bob, I like my toms tuned up more, and they just sound tubby to me when the reso is less than the batter. Don't bury me with your tractor.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Sorry Bob, I like my toms tuned up more, and they just sound tubby to me when the reso is less than the batter. Don't bury me with your tractor.
Im not going to start up the tractor for an accomplished fellow Blues player like yourself! It has just been my observation. I understand that tuning is a personal thing. If I use single ply batters on my kit I tune them looser that double ply, just as you have done.
When I use single ply batters, I crank up my resos more also.
Now, On another note. I have a Tama Stagestar and I tune that kit in the low to mid 70s on the dial for both resos and batters. I never go over 75 for the batters on that kit. It depends on the drums just as much as the head choice.
I don't like cardboard drums either. My drums ring out slightly high in pitch. It may be just the differences between our kits that makes us tune different.

Last edited:

grannydrums

you can find the tensions and instructions on line.

I just used the recommendations as a guide, plus lots of suggestions people have posted on other links. and ended up with 75 on the bottoms (coated ambasadors) and 73 on the tops (coated emporers) then once all the drums were on the kit i just kept tuning them up or down a quarter turn on each lug till i got something I liked