Drum Costs vs. Guitar Costs?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
A guitarist who buy a top line guitar, amplification and sound effects pedals/rack will come off better than a drummer who buy a top of the line drum kit (depends how many shells too...) top of the line cymbals and drumsticks, and I'm not counting any mics you might buy to amplify your drums.

Care and maintenance on a drums is also far more expensive than a guitarist (assuming you do not buy a new instrument), a pack of strings and a plectrum are much cheaper than drumheads and sticks.

There's days I wish I was a guitarist, I'll have more guitars, that's for sure... but nah.. with drums it's money well spent :)

DancingMadlyBackwards

A guitarist who buy a top line guitar, amplification and sound effects pedals/rack will come off better than a drummer who buy a top of the line drum kit (depends how many shells too...) top of the line cymbals and drumsticks, and I'm not counting any mics you might buy to amplify your drums.

Care and maintenance on a drums is also far more expensive than a guitarist (assuming you do not buy a new instrument), a pack of strings and a plectrum are much cheaper than drumheads and sticks.

There's days I wish I was a guitarist, I'll have more guitars, that's for sure... but nah.. with drums it's money well spent :)
I agree with the consumable costs....no question; sticks, heads, etc much more expenisve than guitar consumables, but, drums don't need a fret job

However, for a true top of the line guitar rig, you might consider:

Guitar: say, Les Paul Custom, $3500 or so

Amp: Diezel VH4, $4000 or so

Cab: 4x12, top of line $900

Effects: Since top of line let's say midi FB and in-the-loop rack stuff, $1500 (modest)

So, to be fair, the initial investment in top of line drums could be roughly the same as a top of the line guitar rig...you could get a top of the line dw kit with cymbals and hardware for $10k, no?

I did not mention ridiculous custom amps like a Dumble so I would say that ridiculous custom drums like Craviotto, NP's R30 or Clockwork kit are a level above top of line?

Just made the pre payment on my drumset so i guess i'll chime i was mainly a guitarist

About roughly here so i'll look up on how much my complete guitar rig costs since a lot was second hand:

Tama hyperdrive
drums & hardware & slp snare: 3700
cymbals: 1500
pedals: 1000

guitar with mods: 1000$ (pickups changed, neck profile altered, scalloped) price done at a shop/luthier would be around 1500$ at least
rack rig + rack: 2000 (tuner > presonus studio channel > rocktron chameleon > carvin ts100)
cab: +1000 (mine is custom made to my specs)

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
Well overall...a great player can make a cheap instrument sound great, and not the other way around.

I've heard guys who buy a $7000 DW kit....despite the fact that it's a great kit and their playing skills, whatever they may be....any kit or instrument that is not properly tuned and maintained will not sound good.

T

The Old Hyde

with drums, you but a lot of air. a 22 inch bass drum is very large but empty. a guitar seems to have more wood to it ( not an acoustic I guess).