Drum and Bass drumming

Jon B

Hi all! recently i discovered Dnb and fell in love with the genre, and im looking to learn how to do some of the beats on an actual kit. I know the basics from listening to things, and i try to ad my own taste, but is there a youtube channel or a website or something i can look at that might help? any tips or suggestions, types of things that i should know? Basically im asking, introduce a metal drummer to the concepts and beats, ect. he needs to be a good Dnb drummer.
P.S. i think this is the right spot, i was torn in between here and drum technique

zakhopper316

Silver Member
That's awsome that your asking about this we need more EDM drummers around! I play alot of dubstep right how here in new York so check out my YouTube for some examples of EDM. The song cinema has a small d&b part but I should put more. I play 3 hours of D&B every wed. And Sunday night in a club here in new York.

Maybe I'll record a video of me showing some stuff that I figured out. There's 3 levels of d&b, the faked kind, which is really just basic punk pop beats sped up. Try and stay away from that. Then there is accurate drum and bass drumming which uses alot of 16th note double strokes on your snare hand while holding 8ths on your cymbal hand.

The last, most amazing progression of drum and bass drumming is Jojo Mayer

As far as some tips go, a good place to start is by playing 1 measure of a fast 2 and 4 back beat on the snare ( start at 150 if it's to fast slow down, to slow speed up)
Then play a measure of snare on 2 and the & of 3 ....if it doesn't make sense sorry I'll try it make a video. There's not a whole lot of education available on the topic as its a pretty new thing.

If you have more questions feel free to ask me, im by no means a master but may be able to help u out a bit. it's a fairly new genre (especially dubstep) compared to most and is becoming ever more popular both on its own and in correlation with pop music. It is really a hard genre to play, very similar to jazz with the tempo and improv elements and will take a while to learn but is alot of fun. Dig in and don't give it up there are TONS of opportunities to play live, and on tracks in EDM as there's so many young artists trying to stand out. The opportunities to make money will only increase so stick with it!

burn-4

Hi all! recently i discovered Dnb and fell in love with the genre, and im looking to learn how to do some of the beats on an actual kit. I know the basics from listening to things, and i try to ad my own taste, but is there a youtube channel or a website or something i can look at that might help? any tips or suggestions, types of things that i should know? Basically im asking, introduce a metal drummer to the concepts and beats, ect. he needs to be a good Dnb drummer.
P.S. i think this is the right spot, i was torn in between here and drum technique
Have a look at Jojo Mayer- he is the DnB master- has loads of books/ vids/ youtube stuff online

zakhopper316

Silver Member
Beat me to it! haha 20202020
Hahaha yeaa It's ok tho he deserves to be mentioned twice! I met him at the mecury lounge a few months ago when he played with nerve and he is seriously the nicest guy in the world. If nerve ever comes by your area def. go see him because they play in small clubs and he always sticks around o talk.

I always wandered why he didint come out with a drum and bass or EDM education book or something

iontheable

That's awsome that your asking about this we need more EDM drummers around! I play alot of dubstep right how here in new York so check out my YouTube for some examples of EDM. The song cinema has a small d&b part but I should put more. I play 3 hours of D&B every wed. And Sunday night in a club here in new York.

Maybe I'll record a video of me showing some stuff that I figured out. There's 3 levels of d&b, the faked kind, which is really just basic punk pop beats sped up. Try and stay away from that. Then there is accurate drum and bass drumming which uses alot of 16th note double strokes on your snare hand while holding 8ths on your cymbal hand.

The last, most amazing progression of drum and bass drumming is Jojo Mayer

As far as some tips go, a good place to start is by playing 1 measure of a fast 2 and 4 back beat on the snare ( start at 150 if it's to fast slow down, to slow speed up)
Then play a measure of snare on 2 and the & of 3 ....if it doesn't make sense sorry I'll try it make a video. There's not a whole lot of education available on the topic as its a pretty new thing.

If you have more questions feel free to ask me, im by no means a master but may be able to help u out a bit. it's a fairly new genre (especially dubstep) compared to most and is becoming ever more popular both on its own and in correlation with pop music. It is really a hard genre to play, very similar to jazz with the tempo and improv elements and will take a while to learn but is alot of fun. Dig in and don't give it up there are TONS of opportunities to play live, and on tracks in EDM as there's so many young artists trying to stand out. The opportunities to make money will only increase so stick with it!
I shamelessly enjoy Dubstep, I don't know why, but I feel so dirty when I am just rocking out to it. I opened your youtube link and the first song, skrillex mix of BB- I know this song well. And you did well indeed. I enjoyed how you loosely followed the song.

Good to see you've got some Deadmau5 in there as well!

Keep it up, once I'm more confident in my live abilities, I'm going to hit up some of my (semi-famous) DJ friends and start playing live for them.

Jon B

I like dubstep alot too, but dnb is faster paced and i like that. Speed isnt really a problem because of all the metal i play, i just have no clue what to play! Also, what is EDM? And il check out your youtube page in a little, that might help me come up with better questions.

samthebeat

Silver Member
Yeah cause its that easy!! that is well hard not a good place to start. Johny Rabb has a good book, give you loads of ideas, i have it, there is another book called Break Beat Bible, looks just as good. D and B is fast funk. A lot of the origional D an B producers used funk breaks from records and sped them up, so if you cant play funk, you cant play d and b cause if you cant do it slow, you cant do it fast.

You gotta mess with tuning and sizes, cymbal combinations, putting stuff on the snare etc, experiment with your sound to make it sound crunchy and electronic. KJ Sawka is also worth checking out, he plays for pendulum now, loads of you tube vids up.

You can play pretty convicing d and b without ever touching what JoJo does with his left hand, rabbs freehand technique (Gravity Blast) works just as well when mastered. Not that im not a fan of JOJO hes amazing.

Jon B

@moonetheloon THANKS! thats what i was looking for!

Yeah cause its that easy!! that is well hard not a good place to start. Johny Rabb has a good book, give you loads of ideas, i have it, there is another book called Break Beat Bible, looks just as good. D and B is fast funk. A lot of the origional D an B producers used funk breaks from records and sped them up, so if you cant play funk, you cant play d and b cause if you cant do it slow, you cant do it fast.

You gotta mess with tuning and sizes, cymbal combinations, putting stuff on the snare etc, experiment with your sound to make it sound crunchy and electronic. KJ Sawka is also worth checking out, he plays for pendulum now, loads of you tube vids up.
KJ Sawka is the first live Dnb drummer i saw, pendulum was the first Dnb band i heard. I can read drum music really well and this will give me something to do for the three hours i have a day open at school. As for tuning, i think that with the proper mic setup and just a slight bit of variation it could work. Its not like theres a rule saying that live Dnb cant have a drumset that sounds like it should be in a metallica album. I tune my snare high (really high) so its already short, and my bass drum is about as short as you can get without triggering, plus im not looking to start performing professionally, just learn a new genre. But along those lines, what kind of tuning is "Good"? i know that short drum sounds are apreciated as well as fusion sizes (really small everything) but what is the "normal" sound. In example, the normal sound for metal is low pitched deep growling everything, what is the sound for Dnb?

moontheloon

Silver Member

You can play pretty convicing d and b without ever touching what JoJo does with his left hand, rabbs freehand technique (Gravity Blast) works just as well when mastered. Not that im not a fan of JOJO hes amazing.

if you can read its not hard at all

you dont have to play it at that speed

there is nothing difficult about that piece besides the speed.....and you work up to that

thats where the fun is

and no need to mess with your tuning or cymbals......just play

samthebeat

Silver Member
Apart from the left hand which it that speed is pretty insane, and the fact thats its really syncnopated, its certainly not lesson no 1 for D and B thats for sure. Its sick phrasing, defo worth learning at some point, Ill be dammed if can get the left hand going like he does!

Tuning wise if im going out playing D and B live or recording. I use a 16" Kick, i have it tuned pretty open with a Powerstroke 3 batter, sounds like an 808 sub, A saprano tuned up fairly high, a 13" X 5 as the main snare tuned fairly high and fat detuned 14X5.5, sometimes with a T shirt on it, sounds like an 808 snare that way. For cymbals I use dry hats, Dry ride, i quite often put moon gel on the cymbals which cuts the decay down, mostly the ride. Also I use a china crash stack for those nasty moments. A tamborine is usefull to, its good to mount above your hi hat so you can play sixteenths up and down between the two sounds radd.

I got most of this out of the Rabb Book, its good stuff worth the bucks if you want to learn D and B.

toddy

Platinum Member
kj sawka
jojo mayer
johnny rabb

steal from their stuff and go make a dnb band

p.s. dnb isn't insanely fast or anything, just practice and make sure you stay loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp5OxEzxuSg

^ nothing in that video is very difficult, to play it with the right feel is the difficult part.

Jon B

Anyone know where anymore online sheet music like moontheloon posted is? Thats the kinda stuff im looking for right now. Also, anyone have any SHORT ideas or know of any programs (free) that would let me make loops (nothing TOO special) to practice to?

zakhopper316

Silver Member
Yea, im gonna make u a video right now and post it tonight. I need a drum and bass YouTube video anyways and I'm off school (holidays) so why not!

Jon B

Thanks! Il check it out when i get home! I might make one of myself drumming, that might help with critiquing form/style, ect.

zakhopper316

Silver Member
heres the video of basic D&B grooves for you to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpwYYaRCqU

i did them normal and slow motion too so you can see the sticking. they are beats but really should be used as turn arounds in the last measure of a 4 bar groove. really they can be used any way. just take the snare licks and put them at different spots in a measure. if you get these ill do more complex ones but wanted to give u some basic licks first.
also sorry if u can't hear the snare very well it was way louder before i mixed down.

using doubles on the snare is a very accurate way to play drum and bass but theres also another way to approach it. KJ Sawka doesn't use a lot of doubles on his snare hand but puts a lot of the focus on the cymbals. he plays a lot of accents and leaves out a lot of 8th notes to make a real syncopated groove on the bell and ride. check it out for sure.

moontheloon

Silver Member
heres the video of basic D&B grooves for you to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpwYYaRCqU

i did them normal and slow motion too so you can see the sticking. they are beats but really should be used as turn arounds in the last measure of a 4 bar groove. really they can be used any way. just take the snare licks and put them at different spots in a measure. if you get these ill do more complex ones but wanted to give u some basic licks first.
also sorry if u can't hear the snare very well it was way louder before i mixed down.

using doubles on the snare is a very accurate way to play drum and bass but theres also another way to approach it. KJ Sawka doesn't use a lot of doubles on his snare hand but puts a lot of the focus on the cymbals. he plays a lot of accents and leaves out a lot of 8th notes to make a real syncopated groove on the bell and ride. check it out for sure.
nice vid