dropping sticks

TNA

They used to slip out of my hands all the time, hit my guitarist on more than one occasion, accident...? But now I use Zildjian stick wax, and it works wonders.

I should be in a commercial! Haha

Styx

I used to have that probelm when I first started but focusing on my technique and especially my fulcrum has really improved my control over the sticks. I still drop one from time to time but it is far and few between.

yjb63

I just dropped yesterday whilst practicing, but that was the first time in 2 or 3 weeks.

mrchattr

Gold Member
I tend to drop way more than anyone would expect during rehearsals. This has to do with a few things:

- Certain band members don't realize when they are screwing up, so I'm paying more attention to them than to my own playing.
- Often, we practice stuff that I know so well, I just don't pay attention to it (this is BAD, and I'm working on not doing this, but when you are on stage multiple times a week, practices get boring, especially when you are reviewing material that you KNOW. Still, if my students heard me admit that, they would rip on me, because I always stress the importance of rehearsals).
- I constantly work on loosening my grip, and sometimes take it too far.

At gigs, however, I don't remember the last time I lost a stick. When I actually pay attention to drumming, the stick is almost like an extension of my body.

arthurk1

Depends on the music. I am currently playing very hard hitting music, so it just comes with the territory. Many times mid song, one of my sticks will be cracked and on the verge of breaking, and thus, worthless, so I have to just chuck or drop the stick and grab another one mid song. Now if it's jazz, well that's another story. How you recover without losing the beat is the important part.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Depends on the music. I am currently playing very hard hitting music, so it just comes with the territory. Many times mid song, one of my sticks will be cracked and on the verge of breaking, and thus, worthless, so I have to just chuck or drop the stick and grab another one mid song. Now if it's jazz, well that's another story. How you recover without losing the beat is the important part.
I assumed that breaking sticks and chucking them is not included in the OPs question.

Zildjian232

I dont drop sticks that often, but i do break my sticks a lot. I can easily go through a pair in band practice. When i play i show, i can wreck a pair in a song or two(depending on how im feeling). I played at the house of blues in hollywood, and i broke 2 pairs in the first half of the set. I had to play the rest of the show with 2b sticks.

Just make sure you have a stick bag attached to your hi hat. If you are experienced enough and confidant, you can drop a stick and pull another one out and be alright.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Recently I've dropped sticks when I'm practicing by myself. I haven't dropped a stick - YET - in rehearsals or while playing a live gig. Then again I tend to push it when I'm practicing by myself. Then again the gigs are much more mellow and at a slower tempo than my practice sessions.

I have a stick bag tied to my largest floor tom which holds sticks, mallets, brushes, etc.

My trouble comes when I am playing with brushes and have to switch to sticks quickly. I can't simply drop them because I will need them later in the same song and I can't put them on a floor tom since I'll also use the floor tom.

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
i use to drop my sticks all the time, but now its only when im doing stick tricks. I havent dropped em while playing in a long time.

k3ng

Silver Member
Close to never for me. Only when I'm doing weird stuff like hitting the cymbals from the underside or hitting my bass drum with my stick ala Buddy Rich solo style.. etc

Seriously though, I find that if you're used to a reaaaaallly lose grip, you tend to drop your sticks less because you're already used to that minimal amount of friction needed to keep the stick in your hand.

Trent-Drummer

I dont drop sticks that often, but i do break my sticks a lot. I can easily go through a pair in band practice. When i play i show, i can wreck a pair in a song or two(depending on how im feeling). I played at the house of blues in hollywood, and i broke 2 pairs in the first half of the set. I had to play the rest of the show with 2b sticks.

Just make sure you have a stick bag attached to your hi hat. If you are experienced enough and confidant, you can drop a stick and pull another one out and be alright.
If you are breaking sticks that often then you have some technique issues or really poor quality sticks. Even most death metal drummers wouldnt even go through that many sticks. What do you do, sit on them??

I think dropping sticks is a great thing. You see even the best drummer do it all the time. Why is dropping sticks good? A) You get used to covering it up and quicker at pulling out that spare stick without anyone noticing B) It means you have a relaxed grip on the stick which is a great thing. If you are breaking sticks all the time like the guy above then it means you are holding your sticks too tight. Do you see many people breaking 2 sets of sticks in a session, especially the greatest drummer of the world? No, because they have good technique...

aydee

Platinum Member
So whats the big deal about dropping sticks? Guitarists drop picks, receivers drop balls, people drop their keys, waiters drop plates...

Just grab another one, while your other 3 limbs take care of business.

I don't get this whole macho " its not cool " thing about drummers not dropping sticks. Ronald Bruner, one of the most jaw- dropping extreme drummers of this generation drops sticks all the time.

Me, I don't drop them................ : )

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Glad to hear all of the responses! I know I'm in good company since I drop sticks whenever I practice by myself, but I haven't dropped a stick yet with the group I'm playing with now, but I've only been playing with these folks for 4 weeks now.

I tend to practice louder and faster than the tempo we rehearse at or play, so I'm ok there. I tend to do a lot of buzz rolls and rim shots, so my sticks are fairly beat up after several months. Plus to ensure I have extras in case I do drop a stick, I have a stick bag tied to my largest floor tom which holds extra sticks, mallets, brushes, etc.

But I run into trouble if I am using mallets or brushes on different songs, and changing between sticks, brushes, back to sticks, then brushes again, etc. I need a tray table.

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
Frequently! As I have matured from a technical point of view (not grown older - which also seems to be happening), I find I drop sticks fairly often. I play with a very loose grip and really only retain the fulcrum with my thumb and forst finger. The rest of my fingers only support the stick. I have become very used to grabbing another stick while still playing and maintaining the groove. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't worry about it all.

Paul

aydee

Platinum Member
I find I drop sticks fairly often. I play with a very loose grip and really only retain the fulcrum with my thumb and forst finger. The rest of my fingers only support the stick. I have become very used to grabbing another stick while still playing and maintaining the groove. It doesn't bother me at all and I don't worry about it all.

Paul
This is the defining post of this thread.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
haha i used to have a real bad problem with that (i would drop a stick while trying to get another one, no joke) but that all stopped when i started using those Zildjian Dipsticks....lots of very nasty (and large) blisters soon followed.....oh well, i got over all of that by learning how to grip 'em tighter, its actually not as hard as it sounds......lol

-Jonathan

joeysnare

Silver Member
i just saw gene hoglan play a show and he dropped two sticks and youd never know he didnt miss a thing,thats skill when you drop one and no one is the wiser.