Double tom mount-one tom sings, the other sobs...........

vyacheslav

Hey Everyone,

I have a Tama Imperialstar (modern day Imperialstar) jazz kit that I use for gigging around town. I got all of the bearing edges custom cut and I added some wood hoops and suspension mounts...............they sound great, way better than you would think for "entry level" drums.

Anyway, two rack toms mount on the bass dum (10" and 12"). It is the familiar Tama style double ball and socket "L-arm" mount. I'm having an odd problem that I would like your advice on, if anyone has been through this before:

I have both drums tuned very sweetly. When I mount the 10", it sings great with a long, warm and round note, until I mount the 12" next to it. When I mount the 12", the 10" is immediatley choked and it sounds like a put a Moongel or mufflng ring on it. There is no effect on the 12" at all, as it sounds great (either mounted by itself or in conjunction with the 10"), and the 10" sounds great when mounted alone. As soon as put the 12" on, the 10" sounds choked. It's literally like it is being muffled by some unknown force. As soon as I take the 12" off, it's back to it's sweet, singing tone again. I have had this problem in the past, but that was without the use of suspension mounts (bracket was drilled right into the shell). I am mystified as to why this is happening when I am using suspension mounts!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

AtomicFlapjack

Curious...What about if you try mounting the toms the 'wrong way' round, with the 12" on the left and the 10" on the right (assuming you're right handed)? This time if the 12" is choked and the 10" still sings, perhaps there is a fault with the mount itself.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Curious...What about if you try mounting the toms the 'wrong way' round, with the 12" on the left and the 10" on the right (assuming you're right handed)? This time if the 12" is choked and the 10" still sings, perhaps there is a fault with the mount itself.
A good idea, & certainly worth doing, but it doesn't prove it's a mount issue.

Have you tried this out at different tunings? If the affect is still there, then it's time to dig deeper. It's just possible, at this specific tuning, that the 12" tom is producing a sympathetic resonance that has a cancelling affect on the 10". Think in terms of phase cancellation between microphones on the same source, this could be a similar situation. Unfortunately, ulike mic's, you can't just phase shift, but tuning changes should sort it out. I doubt it's a mount issue, although the sympathetic resonance transfer may well be augmented partially through the mount. A negative proximity affect due to reflected/trapped return waves from the top of the bass drum may also contribute, but that's a slim possibility.

Forgiven

I had the same problem with 12 and 13 inch toms on a double tom mount on another kit. As I recall, I tuned the 12 a little higher than normal and the 13 a little lower (or something like that). If you try different tunings, it should work out for you. I also wonder if the bass drum plays a part in it, because I have a 12 and 13 now mounted on cymbal stands to the side of the bass drum and I don't have this problem anymore. Just a thought.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I noticed this phenomenon with my 10" and 12" bass drum mounted rack toms too. Only on mine, the 12" tom went flat as soon as I put it on the mount, it never affected the 10". I ended up turning my L rods so they pointed down a la Bob Gatzen's suggestion. It helped a great deal. Try mounting your 12" tom differently somehow on your bass drum mount. Make sure every adjustment on that tree is tight tight tight as well.

I do think it has something to do with the mount because if you fly that 12 off a stand, I'd bet a dollar that your problem would evaporate. I think the closer to the 90 degree bend in your L arm you mount the drum, the better, if memory serves. Bass drum rack mounts can be a resonance sink for sure. Why I don't know, but I definitely experienced the dead tom syndrome and improved it just by mounting my tom differently. I don't think I eliminated it completely, but it's a big improvement. I wonder if a double rack mount on a cymbal stand has this issue?

I wish there was some kind of infrared or infrapurple image you could take of your drums while being played by someone that shows where the resonance is and where it is lost.