Double bass newbie

Mastiff

I've had my double pedals for a few months now, and it's been great fun. I wish I had gotten them sooner. Doing some "impressive" Peart style fills came pretty quickly (though surely not as spot-on as his yet!), but I'm struggling a bit to maintain even, steady singles in sync with my hands. Some days it goes great, and other days I either find my hands and feet diverging, or I end up "galloping" with my feet instead of keeping them even.

Can you guys suggest some exercises or approaches to get over this faster? So far I just keep trying over and over, with a 2/4 backbeat, 8th notes on hats or ride and doing either 16ths or 32nds with the feet, sometimes transitioning between these mid measure or every other measure.

An interesting exercise I saw on this site is to do doubles on the hands and singles on the feet at the same rate, but I haven't tried it yet.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Try playing 8ths with your hands and 16ths with your feet for x amount of bars (you decide), then switch. Keep it singles, and don't stop at the switch. The goal here is to transition both hands and feet seamlessly between speeds. Obviously start slow. This will help with any coordination issues you may have between hands and feet. It will also help with any imbalances that arise when you have to keep one running and alter the other, i.e. blast beats with broken doubles, fills with speed changes while feet are still going, etc.

Also try changing speeds with your feet while keeping straight time. Going from 8ths to triplets to 16ths is much harder than it sounds.

Finally, trade 2s, 3s, 4s, etc. between your feet and hands. This will help immensely for those Peart-esque fills.

If your hands can do it, so can your feet. It just takes a bit longer.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
It takes years to get good and fast at double kick.. Do the same thing you did with your hands, practice practice practice.. You don't start out with 200bpm single stroke rolls on the hand and blazing diddles either.

ALWAYS set a click to monitor your speed and improvements. Especially when it fells awkward.

Alternate right hand right foot, right hand right foot. left hand right foot. left hand left foot... i'll do 1/8 notes, 16th notes. triplets doing this.. just single strokes. it is great for independence. move the hands around the kit doing this.

the 1/8 notes to triplets, or 16th to 1/8 and 16th note triplets while keeping a repetitive groove on the hands is a good one..

99% of the time the feet do singles or broken patterns of singles with a double pedal. so RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR is always good to work on.

galloping is the most common thing that comes with learning double kick. play slower.. I mean as slow as it takes to get it tight.

I used to sit there for hours just doing 1/8 or 16th notes on the feet. with my hands playing a simple beat.

also. settings make a huge difference. it's like a fully tight snare, vs a loose loose one. Batter head, spring tension, distance from the head, beater height, pedal board height, what shoes you are wearing all tend to make a difference in my opinion. not as much for singles, but it still matters. each setting effects the other. when I am doing heel toe doubles the settings mater a LOT!

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I also find that the distance you sit from the pedals can have an affect too, but it may just be me. I'm able to do heel toe better, and have a higher single max speed when I set slightly further away from my pedals. The down side is that sitting further back messes with my playing technique when playing 185 to 200 bpm. Again, it could just be me and my playing mechanics as I have a loose left ankle from an old injury.

Old Dog new Cans

A member here sent me a great book. It's not necessarily made for double bass. HOWEVER, if you do these exercises in the book with both hands and feet, YOU WILL IMPROVE.

Less than $10. I saw improvements in my left hand after 2 days.