Don't take our word for it!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
If you are looking to buy a new anything related to drums. Please, try and go out and have a listen for yourself. Asking us what you should buy is fruitless. Everyone on here has there own opinion on what cymbal sounds best, or which is the best drum company. Which company has the best tom mount, or hardware.
I agree with this.

I have no issues with people who have some general questions or have it narrowed down. But the number of the htreads were people ask about what to buy when it's obvious they have done zero research on their topic, or don't provide any details on what they're looking for, is mind numbing.

I realize not everyone lives near a music store, but every manufacture has a website, a facebook and most have youtube examples of their products or other sound samples.

Although, on the flip side, I do see why drummers get confused over gear, as there is SO much more of it now. When I was looking at my first kit, Mapex DDrum, PDP, and OCDP, didn't even exist yet. Gretch only made one line of high end kits. DW's were rare and hard to come by. Yahmaha had like two lines. In cymbals it wasn't "the big three' it was "the only three". In heads, it was Remo or Remo. We certainly didn't have so much to choose from.

chaymus

I have problems with over-choice. I do a lot of research before I buy and have a running tally of things that work and things that I avoid. The best feedback I've seen on these posts is from people who own the item in question and give an honest list of what they like about it, and more importantly the shortfalls. Provided they don't come off as a close minded fanboy I really do think it's a good second opinion. In the end the choice is mine, but I don't see the harm in asking even if it's to verify my thoughts were on track.

The notorious posts here are open ended questions where regulars invest a ton of time and knowledge first identifying really what they're looking for and capable of buying, and providing an answer only to be disregarded with a new kit requirement that is nothing like their original request.

I think asking is important for making an informed decision. I do agree however that the decision is not made by anyone but the OP of the questions and if they're just looking for someone to tell them what to get it's probably not time to buy anything.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I definitely want to make my own decision but getting informed opinions can be valuable. I like to get feedback from people who own something I'm planning to buy. The trick is finding people whose opinions you respect. When I went shopping for drums a few years ago, I was out of the loop on equipment and hadn't been following the industry for a long time. I wanted help sorting through the information and advertising overload.

So, I was fortunate enough to find a couple drummers who tried to be very unbiased about brands but explain the reputations and what they felt would be the advantages of each, from their point of view. But they never slammed any of the brands. These guys basically started out by saying, "Any of these companies will make you an excellent set, it's down to personal preference." I liked that. The good news was, those guys worked at the shop I was buying from. That's one of the reasons why I'm loyal to the place to this day.

There's no substitute for experience, especially when it comes to matters like quality, durability, etc. It's hard to know whether a piece of hardware is prone to break or tension rods on a particular model drum have a tendency to loosen, etc. For stuff like that, you have to rely on the experiences of others. I think a forum like this one is an excellent example of that.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Can you name me a big drum company that makes junk gear?
I don't know what the size of the company has to do with it- unless you're suggesting that the one permissible piece of advice is to buy from big companies?

At least I ended up with the chocolate bar that I like. It would have to be a Mars bar. :)
Me, I'm a Snickers man. The point is that a drum set is a tool and in selecting one there are other issues besides the whim of the consumer, and it is not unwise for someone who doesn't know anything about them to seek advice from people who do.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Many times on this site, I've found very helpful information when I wanted to try out a piece of gear but didn't have access to it myself, to try it first. I think it's great that there's a huge community of helpful, patient drummers, willing to share their knowledge on everything from gear to musicianship. I wouldn't discourage anyone from asking any kind of drum or drumming-related questions on here.

MattA

We all have our brand loyalties but some people have stronger loyalties than others.
That pretty much hits the nail on the head right there.
Asking for brand advice on a drum forum may not be the most objective way to hear information on each brand.
But it does give a good cross section of an experienced drum communities why's or why not's of gear choices.
Being that each drummer tends to have a varying degree of brand loyalty, the statement that you shouldn't ask becase everyone is going to only plug their own gear is flawed.
I personally don't have very strong brand loyalty. I know that going in to buy my next kit, I'm going to be pretty unbiased and choose what sounds best to me.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattA
I know that going in to buy my next kit, I'm going to be pretty unbiased and choose what sounds best to me.

Sticks4Drums: Perfect answer!!!!!!!!!!!

What if you DO have access to a large variety of brands, and try them out all the time?

What if, after doing that you STILL like the sound of what you have, and continue to buy from the same few companies?

Is that still JUST brand loyalty? If the ears and (sitting at a kit) the body make the decision?

For me, after 35 years, I have a sound in my head with say, snare drums.

I have (actually, too) many, and I've said before in posts, and in PM's to people that I ALWAYS end up with the same type of sound, no matter the shell.
It just ends up that way after a short period of time.

It was a joke with a couple band mates that I'd say (after messing with tuning--it's sounding totally different to me) "how does this sound?"...and they'd always say "it sounds like your snare". Whadayamean??!? Haha!

For ME buying a different brand snare would make absolutely no difference, because I'd make it (or try to make it) sound the same as the other ones.
I guess that's what "having a sound" means? Must be true, because people have said "I knew that was you playing" several times.

As for cymbals, I've tried/played on just about everything, except some not as distributed brands.
Most everything well made sounds cool to me on it's own, or when other people play them.

I have certain characteristics of sounds that work for what I want...seem to always going back to the same type of performance abilities.
The sounds are different from each other, but the things a particular cymbal can do when I play it is what I'm after.

Anyone else come across that in their choices?

I tried a set of GB's because they sound and feel fantastic. What a huge bummer it was that they didn't work for me.
Not because of the money, but because what I heard playing them with the band didn't seem right.
I kept the 24 though.

Maybe I'm just "narrowing down" what I'm using, or want to use?

I did at one time have a huge kit with lots of cymbals (think Neil Peart and Tommy Aldridge).
Now, other than wanting my 3 floor toms (I guess a 3 ft kit isn't "small" hahaha!), I don't care if I have a rack tom. I don't "need" 3 ft's I just really like it, and the things I can play with ft's on both sides.

I don't care if I have more than a versatile, crashable ride and hats either.
I do that at rehearsal all the time, but live for 2 of my bands, visually, "more" stuff is better.
I like using it, but I don't care/need the "extra" stuff.

My new project has me sitting way higher, more over the kit, with 2 cymbals and hats, maybe no rack tom.
I'll have to see if the no rack tom is really workable for sticking though--whatever is easier to make the songs work.

Anyway, I LIKE the stuff I play on, after trying and owning a large array of gear over the years. I know what really works for me, and I don't actually see it as brand loyalty really. Maybe not in the way it's seeming to be used in the original discussion.
I've never been one to be pulled in by hype, and usually, it can start to piss me off and steer me away from a product. Kinda funny for someone who is a Graphic Designer and is in advertising haha!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Why do you suppose that it is that people have so much trouble choosing gear?
I was in a music store yesterday and I was thinking about this thread in the back of my mind the entire time that I was there.
I was selecting a double tom stand for my fusion sized floor toms and also a new splash cymbal.
To select the splash cymbal I simply lined up 4 cymbals that I thought that I would like.
I sampled them for a while and I became comfortable with the sound of one of them.
I bought it and I am happy with it. No Problem. If I hadn't heard a splash that I liked I wouldn't have bought one.

I talked to the guys there about my floor tom stand options and I selected a Tama stand that is designed to be low for floor toms. It has 10.5mm ball mount posts and 4 legs so it is stable. I selected Rims mounts because they are the strongest for the 12x14 and the 12x16 floor toms. Again, Making a decision wasn't hard. If I didn't see a stand that I liked I would have just kept on using legs for my floor toms.

While I was there I also sampled two drum kits that I would have bought if I was looking for a drum kit. I also found a snare that I could have brought home with me if I had the dough.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the majority of the ones asking questions are younger and may not have the resources to do a lot of shopping. No car, lack of funds, etc. Also being young they want to get what is popular or cool or like their favorite drummer or group. All of these things limit their ability to test drive sets and buying sight unseen, or without hearing them is dangerous. What better place to ask questions than on a site like this? I perused this site for many months just reading before I bought my drums.

alparrott

Platinum Member
This site is just one of many resources I use when researching new gear. I watch tons of video clips, listen to audio clips, read several reviews, check prices and availability, Google the heck out of the product, and then I drive 200-some-miles to Seattle to try it out if my local shop doesn't carry it.

I agree with the younger, newer drummers not knowing what to get, but I also think that in some respects it's lazy internet to pop into a forum and ask all the questions instead of spending 15 minutes ferreting out the truth yourself on the internet.

I can also completely feel what the other poster said about being too young to drive, isolated in a small town, and limited to an allowance budget. That pretty much describes my first six years of playing drums until I graduated high school, moved to the West Coast, and started seeing real live drums in their native environment. And this was before the internet. I waited eagerly for the drum catalogs to arrive every month or two and wore them out reading them cover to cover. (Thoroughbred Music was the big one back then, anyone remember them?) Back then there was no Craigslist, eBay, or Drummerworld. If you weren't lucky enough to live in a large city, you only saw drums when someone brought them to town and played them. Man, I bought so much bad-sounding crap in those days, sight unseen!

To reiterate: I think this forum is a valuable font of information for those in need of info, but I also think that we unfortunately get used as search engines against our wills...

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
OK Grunt, lets talk about the shopping ability that younger people have today.
You are about my age. When we were kids we had to go to our local music store.
In my case It was a drum shop in Bridgeport Connecticut that was called Peter F D'adario Music.
Pete was the owner and he was a real good jazz drummer. He always set you straight when it came to gear. You always went home happy after visiting Pete D.

Today's young drummers have the entire cyber-world of the net which includes You Tube and places like Drummerworld.
I have no problem researching products on the net. I find new things all the time.
When I walked into that music store yesterday, I already had done my homework and I knew what I probably was going to buy before I even entered the store.

adam!

I gotta say, and not to disagree, I've benefitted greatly from the information on this website and forum. I say yes, people need to think for themselves and find out for themselves what they think. At the same time, recommendations and advice given are useful tools that can be chaulked up as a point of reference.
Harryconway, Karlcrafton, and Keep It Simple have all been very helpful in advice given to me and recommendations I've read elsewhere for others. I don't necessarily have to go with what they suggest, but more "expert" opinions on a matter definitely help.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
All true Bob. I use the internet like I would use a catalog. Back in the day I would look at a Sears catalog etc, and browse then go to the store and check things out. But as a kid, 13 or 14 I couldn't go to the local store. And by local I mean driving distance and not walking. so I had to wait for a friend or parent to be going that way, and I don't think that is much different today. Also on the net like Amazon and others there are reviews by those who have bought the item, and the Sears catalog and others had none of that. But to summarize my feelings on this. Ask all you want. I will either answer or show you threads where the same question has been asked before but by no means will I ever tell anyone what to buy or hold a gun to their head until they buy what I suggest.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I used to do the same thing as others have mentioned with the catalogues. I used to read them until the binding fell apart.
I would drive my parents nuts until they bought me the catalogue item that I wanted.
I always new what I wanted!

A

audiotech

There is just too much information at times on the websites to be able to accurately process, especially with players that have a limited knowledge of equipment. They know they got to get started somewhere, but where? When I was in my early teens, I too had a lot of different catalogues that I would look through just trying to imagine what owning some of those kits would be like and counting the days before my dad would take me along on his, sometimes monthly trips to Sunbury and Philadelphia to make purchases for his kit. With the Internet, everything is right at your fingertips and having so many different manufacturers from which to choose, sometimes it's very difficult for someone to make an educated decision without the help of some more experiences people.

Let people ask their questions, if it bothers you, don't respond but I won't ever turn my back to them. I work a lot of hours and usually only get to type on this thing very late at night, but I always enjoy trying to help a person in need when I can. It's just too easy now a days to make a bad decision and waste money.

Dennis

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Harryconway, Karlcrafton, and Keep It Simple have all been very helpful in advice given to me and recommendations I've read elsewhere for others. I don't necessarily have to go with what they suggest, but more "expert" opinions on a matter definitely help.
Thanks Adam, but you seem to have mistakenly included my name in your short list of experts ;)