Don't let "the man" bring you down!

WhoIsTony?

great weekly wisdom Adam

I to have had this happen to me a few more times than I would like to admit.... the majority of the times while on tour and before I knew it was a "tactic"

we were young and slightly green and would give an address to where the check should be sent ..... they never came of course

on one occasion it was at a club in Murfreesboro TN....on another tour about a year later we booked a different venue with the same promoter ... we packed the place and made them a lot of money

after the gig I dealt with the previous guys partner and explained to him what happened a year earlier and how his buddy pretended to be security and how he would contact the promoter who had already "left for the night" and get us our pay

this guy paid us for both gigs ..... but that only happened once

music and music business are indeed two different things

this is one of the reasons I enjoy being a hired gun who is paid by the bandleader and almost never have to deal with a promoter .... and almost 100% of the time get paid up front unless I know them well

adamosmianski

That's pretty damn impressive that you got money for a gig that long after the fact.

It's funny you mention it, because I was thinking the EXACT same thing after the other night, "This is why I'm usually a side man, so I don't have to deal with guys like this!"

WhoIsTony?

That's pretty damn impressive that you got money for a gig that long after the fact.

It's funny you mention it, because I was thinking the EXACT same thing after the other night, "This is why I'm usually a side man, so I don't have to deal with guys like this!"
believe me I wasn't expecting the guy to make anything right or to settle the old debt.... I just felt like I wanted him to know
but he made good on it and I have contact with him to this day and send touring bands in his direction all the time when they are booking tours because of the impression he made on me that night

.... and yeah.... after years of touring as a "band member" and dealing with shady promoters, club owners pinching a percentage of our merch money, offering us a pizza instead of pay, ditching out at pay time..... I am perfectly happy as the side man who just collects and goes home

Super Phil

We had a club in Minneapolis try to screw us on our last tour. We put up a post about it on our Facebook around 2am, and our fans immediately started blowing up the venue's Facebook and yelp. The owner of the club contacted us around 8am, paid us by paypal, and asked us to call off the dogs, lol

DrummerSneed

Great info. In past I have always been that guy that would just show and drink beer. But, it looks like I might have to take the reigns on some of my current band situations so I will need learn the music biz.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
...offering us a pizza instead of pay...
I played a show once where the "promoter" decided that he wanted to pay us in LSD instead of cash. That did not go over very well. We ended up getting our money, but it was a huge hassle that there was really no need for.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
This is where most wedding bands have the right idea.Yeah,I know,all about the sell out, argument,but,ALL the wedding bands I know,including the two that I used to sub for,ALWAYS,had a written and signed contract,and were paid up front,or NO live music.

Yeah,the promoter/owner conviently leaving before the end of the show,or pretending to be someone else,is a very old game.

"I'll pay you later."...."Great,that's when we'll play....later".Peter Grant,who used to manage Zepplin,always got the initial fee,up front,mostly in cash, and a cut of the merchandise like T shirts,after the gig,and he had some of his crew actually keeping track of how much was being sold.He turned the table on plenty of concert promoters.He said to them,"If you want Led Zepplin to play,this is the fee,...up front".

This kind of crap,has happen to the best of us,we just have to keep in mind,that trust must be earned,and not every thief,carries a gun.I know it sounds cynical,but I don't trust easily,as I know,where money is concerned.morality , ethics and plain respect,sometimes go out the window.This is where the signed contract is your friend.In most small claims court,as in NY,a business,MUST be represented by a lawyer,you as a private citizen,do not,unless the band is a LLC.

Consider also,that some "businessmen",consider musicials as goofy,artsy second class citizens,who aren't....normal,what ever that is.

I know most of you have seen this sign in varoius businesses "in god we trust,all others pay cash".

Steve B