Don't film Vinnie!

aydee

Platinum Member

I think the guy is a Zidjian paparazzi looking for evidence of a Paiste logo...

Theres got to be a history to this reaction. Vinnie isnt a nut job.. other than drummingwise..

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
9 times out of 10 I am cool with Vinnie's approach - he's a master! However every now & then I think a line of taste is crossed. It's a hazard with a very virtuoso style but he's still one of my all-time favourite drummers.
Yeah, maybe 90%. I've lost count where I've found his drumming to be absolutely perfect and then at some point he ramps the intensity to ham territory (to my ear).

There's got to be a history to this reaction. Vinnie isn't a nut job...
That was my impression too.

Smoke

Silver Member
I guess he could'a zapped a 7A into the guy's iPhone or forehead for that matter, but not during a concert. Shoot, Vinnie's just trying to get through another days' work.

I can't speak for the man, but I'd guess that if ignoring the source didn't work and the cold stare didn't work and since he couldn't chuck a stick at him, then anything short of a "raspberry" would be fair game.

There's got to be some line between shutting down a turd in the audience and making a fool of yourself and the whole gig, though I'm not sure what it would be. Might be that the iPhone was pocketed after this tune.

What impresses me most is that Vinnie didn't miss a beat (pun intended).

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Missed this thread!

Vinnie has always been known for not wanting to be taped or recorded or filmed
or whatever while he's performing.

Others are too. Virgil for example doesn't allow filming at his clinics.

drumeatdrum said:
I agree with the 2nd comment down:
Quote:
I wish people would go to gigs and actually experience them live in person rather than being a slave to their cameras/videophones. Listen, absorb, enjoy, don't film, otherwise you're missing the point!
When I go to shows I see so many people worrying more about trying to capture it on their phone than actually enjoying what it is they are their to see.
+1

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
By the way, I think he was kind of both irritated and amused by the situation,
or rather his own reaction of it.

Really embarrassing for the filmer though, the whole audience and band must
have gotten aware of him and his filming.

ivandsamudra

I think the guy is a Zidjian paparazzi looking for evidence of a Paiste logo...

Theres got to be a history to this reaction. Vinnie isnt a nut job.. other than drummingwise..

+1...
I know musicians who've recorded with Vinnie.. he said Vinnie is a very nice guy to hang out with...

anyway watch the video of Vinnie recording with Pino Palladino... he's fine to be recorded, but not while he plays...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riafEFMet5k

see the video of Vinnie while recording "Gingerbread Boy" see his reaction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO-ak4nvX2A

kettles

Gold Member
Some people are just uncomfortable around cameras, and some are REALLY uncomfortable, to the point where the camera is right at the front of their attention, it makes them anxious and everything else becomes less important than the camera that is watching them. I've been a TV cameraman for a number of years and this is something I've noticed, even the stars of the show don't want to be watched non stop.

HoM3R

He looks so pissed! I love it :D

Funny thing, I was watching his drumming with the stale / amazed look with my jaw half open and at the end he gives the exact same look back. Vinnie can watch people through video and troll them.