Done with Promark; need suggestions

RollTheBones

I've had just about enough of Promark's awful quality control, and in short, I need to know what the closest match would be to their PW747 nylon-tipped Oak sticks. Basically, the Peart model with nylon tips. Thank you.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Looks like the Vater Pro Rock is super close. It’s .555 wide, compared to the .551 of the Pro Mark. Still 16 1/4 long and taper and tip look to be the same. It’s hickory and not OAK. Personally I see that as a good thing. I’ve never been able to play oak sticks more than 15 minutes before they break, but can play hickory sticks for months.

Looks like the Vater Pro Rock is super close. It’s .555 wide, compared to the .551 of the Pro Mark. Still 16 1/4 long and taper and tip look to be the same. It’s hickory and not OAK. Personally I see that as a good thing. I’ve never been able to play oak sticks more than 15 minutes before they break, but can play hickory sticks for months.
+1 for Vater.

cbphoto

Gold Member
What’s the issue with Promark? I’ve been using their 5A & 5B active grip models for a few years and they have felt consistent.

Zildjian sticks tho, utter garbage. They’d shatter within a few hours of playing.

RollTheBones

What’s the issue with Promark? I’ve been using their 5A & 5B active grip models for a few years and they have felt consistent.

Zildjian sticks tho, utter garbage. They’d shatter within a few hours of playing.
Long story short, I've had issues with the tips of two different sticks -- the Oak 747s and their nylon-tipped counterparts. On the wood-tips, the tips would always shear off down the middle, right in half, in the same exact spot. On the nylon ones, the tips also fall off in the same exact spot, but in a different area than the wood tips, all long before they're even close to being chewed up and unusable. If it was a few times, I'd look at myself and figure out what I'm doing wrong, but a dozen? They have shitty quality control, and I won't support them anymore. I swear that this never happened before D'Addario.

Personally I see that as a good thing. I’ve never been able to play oak sticks more than 15 minutes before they break, but can play hickory sticks for months.
I've always figured oak sticks were the more durable option, and they really are -- everywhere but the tips, evidently.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Have you reached out to them? Tell them the sticks don’t last?

And I assume you prefer the lighter, slightly softer oak sticks?

Tama Oak Sticks info here.

(I’m simply curious. When I had stick problems, I blamed myself until I bought a brick of Zildjian sticks and realized something was wrong with their product)

On another note:
Janka Hardness Scale:​
Red Oak: 1290​
White Oak: 1360​
Maple: 1450​
Hickory: 1820​

Density:
Hickory: 830 kg/cubic meter​
White Oak: 770 kg/cubic meter​

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I've always figured oak sticks were the more durable option, and they really are -- everywhere but the tips, evidently.
There’s a reason why wood hammers are hickory. They can thane the beating the best of any wood. With respects to nylon tips. Never had one break on Vaters. Can’t say the same for others.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Whoa. What do you play? I’ve got 5 years on three pairs of Zildjians and still going strong.
I was using their "dipped" 5A for funk and funk-rock. I switched to them 'cuz I'd been using a 7A with grip tape, but didn't like spending $14 for a pair of sticks. The dipped sticks felt great so I bought a pair. I really liked how the coating allowed my grip to be loose (almost no hand tension) but after a year or so, and an entire brick of sticks cracking—sometimes within minutes of use, sometimes splintering halfway up the shaft—I switched to Vic Firth. They were durable in the normal sense: a pair would last a few months, with the wood tip eventually splintering first.

I figured Zildjian didn't have their drying kilns functioning properly, but I haven't looked back (using Promark active grip now).

notvinnie

Visit the various manufacturer's websites and find a few models that you think might be close. Then buy one of each. The only surefire way to find something that you'll like. I do this every five years or so. I've been playing Vater sticks for quite a while.

vyacheslav

Zildjian Sticks are all made by Vic Firth. Zildjian merged their stick operation with Vic at least five years ago. Zildjian sticks are just Vic's with the Zildjian name on them, with Zildjian's specs, tips etc.

Vic Firth recently re-introduced the Shogun Oak series, so you can try them. Also, Zildjian makes "Heavy" models of their Jazz, 5A & 5B models, made of laminated birch. I believe they are the only major company who uses birch. I have a pair of their "Heavy Jazz" and they are virtually indestructible. They are heavier feeling than Oak, but thin enough to not be overwhelming. I use them at rehearsals. Same pair, over two years, still going strong. I am a lighter player, but still, that's a good track record.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
My Regal Tips after 6+ months and I can't count how many hours. I dunno. Maybe 200 hours. Chewed up but still going strong. And these are MAPLEIMG_4509.jpg!!!

Peedy

an entire brick of sticks cracking—sometimes within minutes of use, sometimes splintering halfway up the shaft
Dang! You must be beating your drums like those bee hutches owe you money. Is it cymbals, Rimshots, Meth or what?

Pete

cbphoto

Gold Member
Dang! You must be beating your drums like those bee hutches owe you money. Is it cymbals, Rimshots, Meth or what?

Pete
Nope. They were brittle. As if they’d been dried out. I switched to Vic Firth and now Promark and easily get a few months out of a pair.

Ang

Vater and LA Backbeat, I really like the Vater Super Jazz in Maple and I’m new to LA Backbeat but they are fantastic in weight, taper, tip shape and durability.
Check them out, you can buy direct and get a few mixed pairs, he sells them in the “Player” series, $6.49 a pair and they are a great way to try them out.