Does your drumming style match your personality?

drthemez

This is a great thread. I dont really think my playing matches my personality that much. Im on the quieter side, some would say a little bit shy but my playing is far from this. I guess to an extent it does at times though. For example when my friends want me to play hardcore type music with them i can get the job done but im definately out of my comfort zone if that makes any sense. Its not that its hard for me its just i dont have the passion in it like other styles of music.

joeysnare

Silver Member
absolutly im a bit of a minimalist, i find decoration pointless anything that adorns me or my house or car has to have a functional purpose. the same with my drumming im not big into lots of rolls and the flashy stuff, i prefer beats that are practical in their application yet complex in their execution.

aydee

Platinum Member
Cryptic, Abe. Since you play music, doesn't that mean your life says you're a musician?
Aye, Pol, giving you the abridged version. Gave into an alternative career for the price of music. Playing desperate catch up now, as you know.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
If you drive an A-to-B car, wear appropriate clothes for the moment without any flair and don't care for jewellery it means you're not interested in the greasy pole of social status and that says something about you - which can mean you either have poor self esteem and/or you're focused on practicalities and/or hoping for something deeper in life. So it does say something about you :p

And that's reflected in your drumming - being less attracted by the baubles of ostentatious chops than looking to fulfill a practical role in the music and/or looking for a deeper connection with it.
You may be on to something their Polly.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If you drive an A-to-B car, wear appropriate clothes for the moment without any flair and don't care for jewellery it means you're not interested in the greasy pole of social status and that says something about you - which can mean you either have poor self esteem and/or you're focused on practicalities and/or hoping for something deeper in life. So it does say something about you :p

And that's reflected in your drumming - being less attracted by the baubles of ostentatious chops than looking to fulfill a practical role in the music and/or looking for a deeper connection with it.
Pol, on the surface, that seems to sound right. But testing your theory... What you are implying, from what I gather, is that the more "decorated" your drumming style, the more jewelry, the nicer the cars, and the more trendy the clothes you would likely wear. Am I on the right track?

Take Bill Bruford for example. According to your theory, if I got it right, he must drive a hot car, dress sharp and trendy, and wear jewelry. Is that an accurate summation? I have to wonder if Bill does in fact dress sharp, is he into the whole jewelry thing, and does he actually drive an expensive sports/luxury car?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
To be honest I'm completely different when I play rock s opposed to funk and jazz. Don't think I can generalise my playing really. Subdued in rock, pretty out there and expressive in hip hop and stuff. So I suppose I can't say anything about my personality when it comes to drumming

Hercules

I find having multiple personalities has given me a broader playing ability for different styles of music.
(ha, that's what he thinks)
I'm sure you'll get an argument in there somewhere about that.....

So a reclusive, obnoxious, angry person should play...... jazzpunk?

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Derek Roddy comes to mind, who plays aggressive, fast, dark and rather negative-vibed music, but seems to be very easy-going, friendly and positive as a person. I don't know him personally though.

Fishbones

Silver Member
my drumming style is really really funk and groove influenced. always try to find the rhythmic pulse and groove. im a pretty laid back peaceful person, and im not such an agressive drummer.... i guess i do kinda match how i play

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Pol, on the surface, that seems to sound right. But testing your theory... What you are implying, from what I gather, is that the more "decorated" your drumming style, the more jewelry, the nicer the cars, and the more trendy the clothes you would likely wear. Am I on the right track?

Take Bill Bruford for example. According to your theory, if I got it right, he must drive a hot car, dress sharp and trendy, and wear jewelry. Is that an accurate summation? I have to wonder if Bill does in fact dress sharp, is he into the whole jewelry thing, and does he actually drive an expensive sports/luxury car?
Can't speak about Bill's tastes out of music but he does pay attention to how he dresses - remember how he wore those overalls with the big B on the front when in Crimson? He was also known to be difficult to work with ... definitely a healthy ego.

There's a few comments here from people saying that they are quiet socially but more wild when drumming. I think that's a matter of expressing sides of themselves that they don't feel able to express normally.

Most metalheads I've met have been really mellow guys. I guess they figure that it's a better life decision and more ethical to get their wild side - or longings - out of their systems in music than to run around beating people up and throwing bricks through windows.

Played with a guitarist for years who you'd figure was the mellowest guy but when he was off the leash his solos were full on. As I got to know him better I realised that under that mild exterior was a ton of turmoil ...