Does your drumming style match your personality?

B

Big_Philly

Just something that crawled into my mind recently... When I look at my own drumming style, I am the kind of drummer that tries to lay down a solid, functional groove and gets sophistication through small accents and details rather than lightning-quick drum rolls all over the kit (I'm not saying that one is better than the other). I noticed that this is also my style when it comes to jewellery, clothes, cars... I want functional things that are distinguishable and stylish, but for example I don't want my wrist watch to draw all attention by its shinyness or the presence of too many diamonds (my watch is actually made of brushed steel and a carbon-fiber look back plate with some polished steel accents). In cars I also like cars that look special and sophisticated, without people having to put on sunglasses to look at them safely. The music I listen to most is often alternative, but not obnoxious.

Same goes for my unix snare (and the rest of my kit): different, but not obnoxious.

I am just wondering: how does your style of drumming relate to your tastes in clothes, jewellery, music, cars etc.?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Funny, our singer and I were talking on the phone not long ago and he reckoned my drumming reflected the conceptual rather than aesthetic way I approach things (I should add that he likes my playing).

While our playing reflects our personality, it can also reflect things that we try not to inflict on others. For instance, I'm very laid back but I can be a whole lot more intense inside ... and sometimes that comes out in my drumming.

I suspect a lot of people are more intense on the kit than they are socially, but maybe some of that's character acting. If your band's playing hard rock you can't sit there going tippity tappity tap ...

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I think the fact that I am a drummer reflects who I am in general. I tend to be the leader, but not necessarily the guy out in front. I tend to be solid, and believe in having a firm foundation in most things in my life. I am not flashy and I dont beg for attention. I just go about my business and get the job done.

I guess that does sum up my playing style. I am solid and really just try to provide a good foundation for the rest of the band.

Davo-London

Gold Member
My drumming style is: solid, not too fancy, trying to play the music but I also like to add sophistication and groove wherever possible. My ego wants everyone to know that I'm playing within myself ... if that makes sense.

My personal style is: easy-going externally, sociable and try not to get too phased by lower-life forms. As an older, monied gent I do like some of the finer points in life such as food, wine, art, literature etc.

So is there a link? Sort of. It would be odd if I was a metal drummer. Drummers that just bash annoy me intensely and so maybe there is a connection. I like delicacy and groove over flash and so Gadd and Jojo Mayer are heroes.

Davo

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Does energy count as a personality trait? Because that's what I want my drumming to be, energetic. Not quite sure if it does have that sort of quality to it, but y'know... What can one do about their personality?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I am just wondering: how does your style of drumming relate to your tastes in clothes, jewellery, music, cars etc.?
Clothes; Well, I'm a fashion disaster, so perfect match there.
Jewellery: Just my plain band wedding ring, simple, so match there too.
Music: Hmmm, eclectic, difficult to compare really.
Cars: Ultra powerful, with strong latent dynamic, but externally subtle, so match again.

Dammit, I am how I hit!

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I think it's pretty common for musicians to express who they are through their instruments. The one exception might be studio musicians who are trying to conform to the wants and needs of producers and other artists. Even then, I'm sure their style and touch are unavoidable.

I'm pretty sure I sound like my personality...quirky and weird. :p

B

Big_Philly

I am currently preparing for my internship and rounding up the final courses for my master's degree. Quite busy... I'm surprised I don't play "out of time"... :)

Perhaps Zambizzi is right and playing style naturally matches your personality, but I never realised that before so I kinda liked the observation.

Fur drummer

Pioneer Member
Kind of. I like cool things and drums are cool. I'm also more aggressive and energetic when I'm drumming than I normally am. I don't hit them as hard as I can but I'm not as reserved or shy like when I'm not drumming.

MikeM

Platinum Member
...one exception might be studio musicians who are trying to conform to the wants and needs of producers and other artists...
This is the insightful bit as far as I see it. Like Bermuda's other thread of "guess the band" based on the drummer... I'm ashamed to admit how long I tried to crack that case before giving up. But it's relevant here because there's practically nothing in that drumming that reveals who it is. Does that drummer have no personality? (rhetorical question)

To answer the question, yes, I think my drumming style matches my personality very closely, but part of that is because I really like playing my parts my way and I think my style is somewhat distinctive as a result. That's not necessarily good or bad, but it does put some limitations on what I can, or want to do.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
No.

In person, I'm pretty quiet and easy going.
Behind a drum kick, I like to hit hard, and drive the band.

My drums are nice, top of the line kits.
My clothes are usually what ever is on sale at Target.
My car is based on can it get me and some drums from point A to B.

con struct

Platinum Member
Interesting question, because in my case no it doesn't. Not at all. I'm fairly nervous and...weird, I guess. But when I play the drums I'm very relaxed and focused and in control, and it feels like I'm reaching into a sort of visceral, almost atavistic part of my psyche. I only feel that when I play music, when I play the drums.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My playing style matches my personality, but has little to nothing to do with my taste in cars, clothes, or jewelry...I don't put much value on those things...My playing style has a lot to do with my taste in music though.

My playing style is like me, very self sufficient, taking just what I need for myself, and mostly using my powers by giving musical support to the others. I try to anticipate where the soloist is going, listen and make the others sound good, and by doing so, I sound good. People want to play with you if you listen to them and complement them musically. That's the thing that makes every drummer different, their approach to the instrument and the attitude in which they play.

You have the guy who works hard at his chops and trys to impress everyone with his facility on the instrument at the expense of the song, and then you have the guy with good passable basic skills, that listens really well and plays what is required, and he will be the one who gets called by the guitar players. Even though the first guy is tecnically better, he's musically worse, and musicality trumps technicality most times.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
My playing style matches my personality, but has little to nothing to do with my taste in cars, clothes, or jewelry...I don't put much value on those things...My playing style has a lot to do with my taste in music though..
If you drive an A-to-B car, wear appropriate clothes for the moment without any flair and don't care for jewellery it means you're not interested in the greasy pole of social status and that says something about you - which can mean you either have poor self esteem and/or you're focused on practicalities and/or hoping for something deeper in life. So it does say something about you :p

And that's reflected in your drumming - being less attracted by the baubles of ostentatious chops than looking to fulfill a practical role in the music and/or looking for a deeper connection with it.

Show me the shape of your tea leaves and I will provide further info ....

Regards

Mme Zelda

Aydee said:
No, it doesn't. My life says I'm not a musician, but I am.
Cryptic, Abe. Since you play music, doesn't that mean your life says you're a musician?

B

Big_Philly

No.

In person, I'm pretty quiet and easy going.
Behind a drum kick, I like to hit hard, and drive the band.

My drums are nice, top of the line kits.
My clothes are usually what ever is on sale at Target.
My car is based on can it get me and some drums from point A to B.
If you drive an A-to-B car, wear appropriate clothes for the moment without any flair and don't care for jewellery it means you're not interested in the greasy pole of social status and that says something about you. [...]
And that's reflected in your drumming - being less attracted by the baubles of ostentatious chops than looking to fulfill a practical role in the music and/or looking for a deeper connection with it.
I second what pollyanna said....

yesdog

Silver Member
My playing style matches my personality, but has little to nothing to do with my taste in cars, clothes, or jewelry...I don't put much value on those things...My playing style has a lot to do with my taste in music though.

My playing style is like me, very self sufficient, taking just what I need for myself, and mostly using my powers by giving musical support to the others. I try to anticipate where the soloist is going, listen and make the others sound good, and by doing so, I sound good. People want to play with you if you listen to them and complement them musically. That's the thing that makes every drummer different, their approach to the instrument and the attitude in which they play.

You have the guy who works hard at his chops and trys to impress everyone with his facility on the instrument at the expense of the song, and then you have the guy with good passable basic skills, that listens really well and plays what is required, and he will be the one who gets called by the guitar players. Even though the first guy is tecnically better, he's musically worse, and musicality trumps technicality most times.
Well said Larry. Tempo, feel, and emotion that's it end of story.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I find having multiple personalities has given me a broader playing ability for different styles of music.
(ha, that's what he thinks)