Does the Tune-Bot work like they say?

KnuckleBuster

Dennis, I never said your quote didn't apply, and maybe sometimes I shouldn't be so brief in my replies. I know you have tested the Tune-Bot extensively. I do like mine and I have some hearing loss that leaves me searching sometimes at given frequencies. So the device helps me get near the tuning I want pretty quickly and then, yes, I do the final touches by ear.

Steve

Originally you didn't say that you finished tuning by ear, either.

And by the way, my original post still applies since I used the word "but".

Dennis

A

audiotech

Nope, I didn't say better. Just faster. This gets me closer, faster. Then the final touches by ear.
Originally you didn't say that you finished tuning by ear, either.

And by the way, my original post still applies since I used the word "but".

Dennis

Fuo

Platinum Member
As a beginner it seems great to me. If you look online there is so much - sometimes conflicting and confusing - advice, that something like this really helps.

Having said that, I've just done my bass drum by ear - just slightly tighter than 'wrinkeled' - so I'm not sure if it helps with the bass...
Yea. I have a tunebot and love it, but I only use it for my toms. Snare and bass are easier to tune by ear for me.

lowdowner

As a beginner it seems great to me. If you look online there is so much - sometimes conflicting and confusing - advice, that something like this really helps.

Having said that, I've just done my bass drum by ear - just slightly tighter than 'wrinkeled' - so I'm not sure if it helps with the bass...

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
I use it and love it. Its a fast way for me to reference previously established head tensions and so forth. I re head my drum kits a lot and I don't have a drum tech so for me this saves me a lot of time.

eastd

I have it. I love it. Once you get the hang of it, it's super fast. Best thing is for sessions. If you need to change heads, you can store all of your tunings. If you need to recut something, or punch in a section, you have your exact pitch every time. Awesome product and really fast.

drum tuning guru

Thanks for the kind words guys..And gals.....
I wish I would have discovered this forum sooner...

I have a pod cast dedicated to good drum tone and have interviews Roy Burns, Greg Crane from yamaha as well as other industry folk. I have cympad coming soon and kick port people..I will do reviews as well of these products..
Question...What would you guys like reviewed or who would you like to hear from on the podcast? Can't guarantee I can get them but I will try...

Thanks
Danny The Drum Tuning Guru

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised it took so long for a device like the Tune-Bot to come out (or, at least catch on). It seems to me it's basically just a standard digital tuner (like you'd use for a guitar or something) with a built in filtering algorithm for filtering out overtones (which is why standard digital tuners don't usually work well on drums, get readings all over the place).

From what I've seen (and heard), it seems to do a pretty good job at what it's supposed to do. With it, you can get a drum in tune, to a specific pitch consistently. It's definitely leaps and bounds above other drum tuning utilities like the Drum Dial (don't even get me started on that thing...)

The main draw-backs I see are the price, and the time it takes to achieve a good tuning result. Of course, it could just be that all the video demonstrations I've seen were taking it slow intentionally. Still, I feel I can achieve a more accurate tuning result in much less time than most of these demonstrations seem to take- by ear.

The price is the main deal-breaker for me though. Since I can typically tune my drums to a specific pitch by ear, only needing an outside reference pitch; the utility of the Tune-Bot doesn't seem worth it for me.

I recently posted a video in the Drum Technique sub-forum showing the method I use to get precision tuned drums by ear, and I think it might be relevant to anyone considering the Tune-Bot (or other utilities). So, I'll shamelessly plug it here as well.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e883saA8zUA

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Aww dude, swapping an Aquarian for an Evans, eeewwww.....lol
that was the only good part of the video. Go Evans.... I am so glad I have an ear so I dont have to go thru all of that tweaking. I'm glad it works for some, but I have saved 100.00, which will buy a lot of heads.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
The way I would look at it is like this:

If you're gigging often and change heads a lot, and want a consistent sound quickly, this is a great tool. You have reference points that you can get back to quickly, but you still need to establish those reference points.

If you're expecting this to tune your drums for you, then you will be disappointed. You will still need to know how to tune your drums, and how to achieve the sound you're looking for.

Since you're a beginner, I would recommend Bob Gatzen's tuning videos and the Drum Tuning Bible to learn the basics of how to tune. From there, once you can do it on your own, then look at picking up a TuneBot or DrumDial to speed up the process.

Snare tuning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs
Tom tuning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU
Bass drum tuning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI
Drum Tuning Bible: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CF8QFjAA&url=http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/data/46/link/3402/DTBv3.pdf&ei=YFu2T-DYF4aQ8wTM-PCnCg&usg=AFQjCNErTkFvS5uCRcicTxh97Q8UnDFJmw&sig2=Z0Vl9agIeUPClEaHA-098A
2nd this. Especially the Bob Gatzen stuff. Here is another TB post:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87595&highlight=l+love+my+tune+bot

Personally, I've found mine very useful. I'd pay $100 immediately to avoid the Guitar Center guys. (though I do know some personally...)

Chunky

Silver Member
LOL! Yeah, I was just testing some drum heads.

About that: I once went to a drum tuning workshop of a great drumteach and drumtech who had 5 12" toms, all different materials, different brands and different heads. From single to double ply and from clear to coated. He tuned them exactly the same. And guess what: they sounded exactly the same, to everyone there. His point was that correct tuning was more important than the tom and head choice.

Correct. It's like a lot of devices: some people love it, some people don't. It's up for everyone to decided what they think of it. I know it works for me.
Good point about the drumtech. I tuned a cheap 12" tom the same as my good 12" tom. My good one had ambassadors on top and my cheap one had pinstripe and they had exactly the same pitch and sound. The only difference being more sustain and low end from my good drum.

And as for the Tunebot you're right again. Although I and a few others think it's a bit silly and expensive if it's working for YOU then your opinion is right and that's all that matters seens as you're the one using it, so if you get what you want from it then keep getting what you want from it.

Obviously my opinion and the others on my side of the fence are right also, for ourselves. Whatever works for you is the way to go.

eric_B

Aww dude, swapping an Aquarian for an Evans, eeewwww.....lol
LOL! Yeah, I was just testing some drum heads.

About that: I once went to a drum tuning workshop of a great drumteach and drumtech who had 5 12" toms, all different materials, different brands and different heads. From single to double ply and from clear to coated. He tuned them exactly the same. And guess what: they sounded exactly the same, to everyone there. His point was that correct tuning was more important than the tom and head choice.

In my opinion, it depends on who you talk to.

Dennis
Correct. It's like a lot of devices: some people love it, some people don't. It's up for everyone to decided what they think of it. I know it works for me.