Does size matter?

wildbill

Platinum Member
I spent a little time dialing in the bass drum, but didn't really bother with the 18 tom.
I guess if you cranked it up, like you say, it'd be a lot more useable.
I never really even cared all that much for my old 16 though - I'm hooked on 14's for floors now.

MikeM

Platinum Member
FWIW, I crank the bejeesus out of my 18 floor and it never seems to get too high and annoying. Pretty sure there's no upper limit on how high to crank it, at least not one that I've found.

Just thought I'd toss that out there since I really don't like them tuned low either.

wildbill

Platinum Member
OK - so I went and set them up and tried them out a little. Just standing up - no throne.

The 13 and 14 mounted toms were the size of my old ones.
So while they seemed extra large compared to what I've got now (10 & 12), they seemed familiar in an old fashioned way.
The 18" floor tom was ridiculously huge and flabby.
I flipped it on its side and gave it a few hits with a bass pedal - better. It could be useable as a bass drum.

The 24x14 bass drum was just killer though. So much more balls and volume.
I'd almost get the set just for that - except:
I came home and triggered up my small bass drum and layered a couple sounds in a Yamaha module.
Ran it into a small amp, and it was just as ballsy with a lot more sound options. Sounds pretty decent on its own too.
So it's a horse apiece on that front.

Bottom line - nice, but I guess I don't need it, or the extra space it would take.

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
Lately I've been playing my newer Yamaha Stage Custom 10/12/14/20 set up with smaller cymbals to outfit the set up. I really enjoy being able to play the kit, not having it be super loud and I can actually hear all the voices from the assortment of cymbals I have.

I used to play an old 70's Ludwig 14/18/24, and it just seems that people were more impressed by that kit. I used a 24" ride and two 20" rides as crashes. Even though I do play with quality cymbals and the like, it was just a ton of noise and big loud crashy sounds.

Even still, I have some of my old metal friends asking me to play that set as it was a great set to play, but I feel I can still play just as well, and more coherently, with my new kit.

Are they just disillusioned by the size and how big and boomy it was? (It was a huge pain in the ass to set up and break down and also transport.)

Does size actually matter?
From the general public? No chance.

I played a bop kit (18", 12 & 14") last night and the audience were reacting to it by dancing in the same way no doubt if it was a 24, 13, 16.

If you ask me if I would prefer a larger kit at a gig? Yes. The general public? I'm guessing wouldn't be able to 'feel' the difference, in my view.

lsits

Gold Member
David Silveria uses a 20" bass drum. We all know how mellow and non-aggressive the music he plays is.

poppies

If you're playing aggressive electric music, yeah, bigger is probably better. Mostly for visuals in my experience. For everything else, I've found it takes a pretty intense sound engineering effort to not lose the extra frequencies for everything above a 20" kick. A huge 26 incher sounds incredible in isolation, but all the depth becomes mud in a group setting usually.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I don't think size matters. Especially when miked. But the look of it may matter to some.

Maybe they think your 20" looks too small and wimpy and they want a burly 24" that dominates the stage. No mistaking us for some cheesy jazz outfit! No sir!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Maybe this thread got to me - LOL.

I've been having to talk myself down for two days from springing for a used shell pack I've seen in sizes 24x14/18x16/13x9/14x10.

I used to have a 22/13/14/16 for quite a few years, and when I discovered smaller drums in the 20/10/12/14 configuration, it was a revelation.
I couldn't believe how perfectly well they worked for me.

So what it was that gave me the itch for bigger drums again - I haven't a clue.

The 18" floor tom just looks stupidly huge to me now, but the 24x14 bass drum has some appeal. I've got a kit with an 18" bass drum for cryin' out loud, and it works just fine.

The whole idea is just half baked. I'd probably make a bass drum out of that 18" floor tom, and would probably never use the other toms mounted on the bass. They'd just be too high now after having gotten used to a comfortable
configuration. It'd be cool to use it as a bass/snare two piece though.
I don't care for the idea of using a 2nd snare stand for a tom either.

So - I guess I'll keep talking myself out of it, till this impractical idea passes - LOL

bearblastbeats

So many LOLZ in this thread.

I'm just going to stick with my new kit and retire the ludwig, that horse has been ridden and its time to put it out to pasture.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
It all depends upon the music. An 18" K china might sound good in a funk band but would be inaudible in a metal band.

Liken it to a guitar player; you'll never see a Jackson at a folk/rock gig just as you won't see an ES335 with Godsmack.

hippy chip

Silver Member
Tuning matters much more than size---too many drummers are obsessed with how the drums sound from the throne---the audience doesn't give a crap about sizes as long as there is a good beat to the music---a 22x14" bass, a 12" tom, and a 16" floor is all you need---14" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride and you are good to go---if you can't take care of business with that you need more lessons! I have been playing guitar for 35+ years, and the drummer has never been the problem!

chris J

I want that drum set!

Seriously, one of my favourite rock drummers used to play a set with 12, 13 and 14X14 toms, 14 X 5 snare, 22 X 14" BD.
Cymbals were 22, 20, 16 and 14 with 14" hi hats.
A Small set, but he made it sound huge.

Ringo did some great work with a 12 & 14 tom, 20" BD and that Jazz fest snare.
He only used two cymbals, what else did he need?

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I like big, but not too big.

I don't like crashes 16 or smaller. 17 is really pushing it. 18 and 19 is a good size for me. 22 or 24 inch rides. But I don't like 20+ crashes.

Drums same thing. I like 22 and 24 bass drums, I think 26 is a bit too much though. Toms, I like 'em at least 12, and my floors 16 at least.