Does anyone still make large kits?

I have come across a few, including the Gretsch Catalina 24,13,16,18 - I don't want to go any smaller than that - and that is a good kit, I just want to know if there are any other equivalent kits out there that are better for a similar price?

I currently play a Mapex V (poor kit) but the sizes are great, 22,14,16,18 - and with a lot of work can sound good - so what would anyone suggest?

They seem to be quite difficult to find. I am looking for a new kit - priced between £600-£800 - but I want the large sizes!

Would even consider pre-owned ;)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
If you want larger drums,you'll have to spend a lot more than 600-800.Ludwig has a few kits with 26/18/16/14/14 and 26/18/16/13/14 .Used Bonham re issue kits in vistalite amber are aroun 18-2000 US.

Steve B

harryconway

Platinum Member
This is an excellent kit by Mapex. They have Cherry Mist left.
http://www.drumshop.co.uk/buy/mapex-meridian-birch-5-piece-24-stomp-drum-kit.htm
+1 here.​
Looking for a "new" kit, it's not gonna get much better than this.​
Used, you'll be able to get into pro-level drums, but you just have to look locally. No real way to say "buy this", 'cause I don't what's currently available, in your area. But here's a for-instance. A few years ago, I picked up a Premier Baron kit. Era 1975. 24, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18. $970. Awesome kit.​

Toolate

Platinum Member
I have a used Gretsch Catalina rock kit (26, 13, 16, 18) that sounds great to me but is admittedly some cheaper mahogany wood. Its feather light and sounds great/looks great in solver sparkle.

Not sure if they still make the 26 but I know they have a 24 with the large toms.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I went to see my old band last weekend and the replacement drummer's Gretsch kit had a 16" bass. It looked like a toy. LOL - but it still sounded really good.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Large drums are all the rage right now. Kits with a 16 rack tom and 18 and 20 floor toms and 26 bass drums, paired with 16 hats and 24 rides. It's getting kind of ridiculous.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
DMC, I'll never get what your issue is with big drums. They have been falling in and out of style since the trap kit first came into creation. Trends come and go, that's what makes them trends. They were huge in the 70's too, remember Bonzo used to use a typmani as a floor tom back then.

What I am noticing is coming to fasion right now is smaller kits with 16 and 18" bass drums. I remember Bo started a thread on this a while back about how vintage kits didn't really include anything smaller that a 20" kicker.

As for the OP's question, I can only say look to the used market or scour the stores for a one-off deal. When it came time to buy my own kit I lucked and managed to score a Yamaha Stage Custom in 12,16, 24 with a cheapie steel snare for $400, that's what a friend of mine would call a "stupuid deal". Check your local listings daily, I have seen some great deals pop up on my local Craigslist page.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Till the 50's,26 and 28 " bass drums were the standard.Most big band drummers still played a 24 or 26,like Rich and Bellson.Buddy played a restored Slingerland Radio King set with a 26 till the day he died.

Bonham,Appice,Powell,Paice,Danelli all played 24 and 26 " bass drums,just to name a few.:)

Steve B

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
I picked up a Mapex MyDentity kit, 100% maple big shells. 16x26 kick, 12x14 rack, 16x16 and 16x18 floors for $999 shipped in the US. I added all new heads and the kit sounds (in my opinion) great. When the kit arrived I was very happy with the quality of the build as well as the finish I selected.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I picked up a Mapex MyDentity kit, 100% maple big shells. 16x26 kick, 12x14 rack, 16x16 and 16x18 floors for $999 shipped in the US. I added all new heads and the kit sounds (in my opinion) great. When the kit arrived I was very happy with the quality of the build as well as the finish I selected.
I've seen people comment on how that's just a marketing thing or whatever, but I can't understand how anyone doesn't think that's cool as hell. You can order a maple kit in your sizes with different colors and stuff, get it in a month, and only pay $999? Incredible, IMO.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I've seen people comment on how that's just a marketing thing or whatever, but I can't understand how anyone doesn't think that's cool as hell. You can order a maple kit in your sizes with different colors and stuff, get it in a month, and only pay $999? Incredible, IMO.
Mapex has come up with a brilliant sales tool. They offer a fairly wide range of options on real good quality drums in a reasonable amount of time. I haven't seen any complaints as of yet from buyers of these kits.
Im surprised that no other manufacturers have followed.
I hope that this becomes the way that all drum kits are ordered in the future.
I had fun designing the mock up kit for Kev that I did in post #8.
I wished that I needed a kit. I would order a custom MyDentity.

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
Mapex has come up with a brilliant sales tool. They offer a fairly wide range of options on real good quality drums in a reasonable amount of time. I haven't seen any complaints as of yet from buyers of these kits.
Im surprised that no other manufacturers have followed.
I hope that this becomes the way that all drum kits are ordered in the future.
I had fun designing the mock up kit for Kev that I did in post #8.
I wished that I needed a kit. I would order a custom MyDentity.
Agreed, no complaints from me, excellent quality build and rock solid shells. The MyDentity customer service team was very helpful as well.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I just checked out the pic of your kit gr82bagn.
I see that you took advantage of the Mapex site to buy a somewhat unusual dimension kit that is exactly what you wanted.
By the way;
Where is our OP?
He hasn't posted for a while.

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
I just checked out the pic of your kit gr82bagn.
I see that you took advantage of the Mapex site to buy a somewhat unusual dimension kit that is exactly what you wanted.
By the way;
Where is our OP?
He hasn't posted for a while.
Matt at Mapex in TN was very helpful during my shell selection process. Seems the largest rack they offer is a 9x13 and I wanted the 12x14 as a rack. Matt arranged to have the 12x14 ft set up as a rack tom (no legs, fully wrapped) but that it would be predrilled for the ft legs. Small holes. Once the kit came in a friend of mine who is a "wood" guy plugged the holes using small wood dowels, a little sanding and done. The whole thing took 15 minutes at his shop. I've been hitting them hard since and they sound just like I hoped they would.
Hmmm, OP does seem to be missing. I hope I offered information that was helpful and didn't end up hijacking his thread...lol