Does anyone really notice?

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
btw. that tama drumset doesn't sound good to me. I can see how that sound might be desirable to some, but i'm more of vintage guy, and I like to actually hear the tone of the drums, that kit is very modern sounding, and you mostly just hear the heads, not alot of body.
I feel the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_dpLDLaBI I put this c&c vintage mahogany kit up as a great sounding kit. obviously a totally different style of drum, but this is what I think sounds good.
You'll love THIS then...

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/12141855x14-cherry-bebop-craviotto-drum-p-2031.html

Man, I'd give a toe for that kit!

What I can add to this thread is that people (other musicians, mostly) comment on how good my vintage Ludwig kit sounds all the time. In fact, I played a gig about a month ago where the guitarist (who I'd played with before, years ago) turned around while we were sound-checking and asked why I didn't bring my DWs to this particular gig. He didn't give me a chance to answer and said that the Ludwigs had a sound that gave him goosebumps, they sounded so good--so warm, so full, so woody. They made him want to start playing drums. Er.....um.....wow! Thanks!

I'm starting to dig the sound of my Ludwigs more than my DWs. Sacrilege, I know, since I've stated for years that my DWs have THE sound I am looking for, but I guess times-are-a-changin'. Well, my tastes are, anyways!

As for the original question, I think in most live (miked) situations, it really doesn't matter to the audience. I think that it's up to the drummer to play what they, personally, think sounds/feels/looks good. It's part of what gives them their unique voice. You know how playing on different kits/snares/cymbals influences you to play differently? Yeah, I think it has something to do with that: when we find a kit that has a sound that matches how we want to play...

Michael McDanial

When it comes to instruments, there's always the argument of "does it really make a difference?" The answer is yes and no. Some brands/models of instruments are better quality than others. However, it's much more about the person behind the instrument than the instrument itself. If you took somebody who had never heard the album "Jazz At Massey Hall" do you think they would be able to recognize that Charlie Parker was playing a plastic saxophone?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Bob, I'd be curious to hear how you like your Stagestars. I've got a set too, and think they're pretty decent little drums for what they are. Do you recommend certain heads and how do you like to tune them? A little off topic I know, since they are below even intermediate status, but wanted to get your take. I'm looking forward to upgrading the heads, cymbals, etc.

Fishnmusicn
I Really like my StageStar! I use Aquarian Studio-X coated heads on the toms, SK II on the bass.
I tune them to about 75 on the drum dial.
Here is a link to one of my threads where we can talk more about them if you want.
It started as a thread about other kits. I then bought the Tama and The thread changed.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55218

B

Big_Philly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFmKKa_LWY see to me this vid really represents the sound of a professional kit. i dont think an intermediate kit could come close to this good
I barely hear any difference... sounds like a little more reverb to the yamaha (or just more sustain). But that does not indicate better (or worse) drums.
I asked my girlfriend, a non-drummer. She hears no difference at all, except that the video with the yamaha has much more awesome drumming in it.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Here is an example of what the audience hears at a gig. This was recorded outdoors at a private party with one of those little recorders with the two mics sticking out of it. It was placed in the crowd in the rafters of a deck. (twenty feet from the band) It was a large mansion with a gigantic set of patios and decks. There were about one hundred people there. They loved us! I was playing a stock Pearl Rhythm Traveler. Stock snare also with a PS3 on top. Top Line Zildjian's and Paiste's. Otherwise, The cheapest kit out there! There are no mics on the kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

TTNW

Pioneer Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFmKKa_LWY see to me this vid really represents the sound of a professional kit. i dont think an intermediate kit could come close to this good
I have nice Altec Lansing speakers and a sub woofer on my computer set up. This YouTube clip has a great recorded sound. I'm sure the drums sound great but this recording's "great drum sound" is due to EQ and possibly some plug-in enhancements on the DAW.

To the average person in the audience, no.

And intermediate and professional are relative terms. Plenty of kits that were considered "pro" 25-30 years ago would be considered "intermediate" by today's standards.

And further proof is how many albums were made with drums that were muffled, or mixed to sound flat and dull, but still sold well.
Amen to that. I used to get a great sound out of crappy old Pearls back in the day.

I barely hear any difference... sounds like a little more reverb to the yamaha (or just more sustain). But that does not indicate better (or worse) drums.
I asked my girlfriend, a non-drummer. She hears no difference at all, except that the video with the yamaha has much more awesome drumming in it.
Listen to the reverb in the recording. I could make my son's old CB kit sound that good with some time and patience. His drumming is truly good so it "ups" the how good the drums sound factor.

BTW, his snare is very compressed. It sounds kind of good for a while and then sounds muted and hollow.

Long story short, only we drummers really notice. Good set up with good heads and relative tuning and the audience doesn't discern the difference.

I keep making the foolish mistake of asking my wife over and over again how my drums sound. She's put up with my drumming questions for years. After years of not getting any specific responses, she only comments on my playing, not my drum sounds.

After a recent sesh, I asked her how she thought the kit sounded. I was frustrated with the balance between the drums and cymbals.

She said, "Honey, you know how you're always wondering about your 'dark' cymbals in the mix." She's so full of crap, bless her heart for trying to appease me. I was playing my bright Zildjian As.

ONLY WE REALLY NOTICE.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Seriously, do you guys think that if you brought a high end kit to one gig and an intermidiate kit to the next people would actually notice the sound?

Don't get me wrong, i would love to have a Mapex Saturn but then i listen to videos with good sound quality like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p72X9khBhuk&feature=related

and start wondering if its even worth it. What do you guys think?
One more thing. $500 or $5,000 drum kits notwithstanding. Both vids had good solid playing and good drum sounds.

The worst thing was the first guys t-shirt with the vest and PHX dude's ugly plaid shirt. That's what stood out the most. For crying out loud, I'm digging out my old black t-shirts and going old school.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I don't know why I didn't remember this until just now...

But for a summer back in 94 or 95, I was playing at a little bar three times a week.
Some times I brought my 1988 Pearl Export, sometimes I brought my nice maple Premier Signia, and a few times I had a beater kit I borrowed.

No one else ever noticed the difference. The band never one commented on the drums themselves. The audience never commented on the different drums.

I noticed the difference big time.

But it didn't seem to make a difference to anyone else.