Does anyone else think of all cymbals as rides

PDL

I have a 19 z China which I play trad way up, a 19 z custom crash, 17 k custom and 17 A plus my 21 mega bell, but when I'm thinking through drum parts for new songs I see all 5 cymbals as rides and use them as such. I also have 2 splashes and use them plus the k as my main crashes. I find myself looking for other ride sounds than just the hats and mega bell. Anyone else do this, is it like a progression that I've made to think this way.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I try not to be so closed-minded. I think of all cymbals as cymbals. You can crash them, ride them, roll on them, bow them, etc. If they don't sound good to me when I crash or ride them, they don't end up on my cymbal stands.

groove1

Silver Member
I find out what sounds I can get from each cymbal. Some work as rides and crashes, some
are splashes only, some crash only. No, I don't think of all cymbals as ride unless they
are capable.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I have too many cymbals that simply don't work as rides.........wouldn't matter what I thought of them as, it still wouldn't make it so.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I have a 19 z China which I play trad way up, a 19 z custom crash, 17 k custom and 17 A plus my 21 mega bell, but when I'm thinking through drum parts for new songs I see all 5 cymbals as rides and use them as such. I also have 2 splashes and use them plus the k as my main crashes. I find myself looking for other ride sounds than just the hats and mega bell. Anyone else do this, is it like a progression that I've made to think this way.
So are you Keith Carlock :)?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I use all my cymbals as crashes and rides.
Unless a cymbal sounded good doing both, I wouldn't buy it.
The bell has to sound good, and be usable as well.