Does anybody know how the #$@! to use Finale?

I'm trying to do a drum transcription in Finale Songwriter, and even disregarding the clunky 1998 interface, no matter what time signature I give a piece it wants 8 8th notes in each measure. The song I'm trying to transcribe is in 6/8. I end up with two eighth-note triplets and two floating eighth notes. How do I make it respect the time signature?

Also, is there a way to enter notes that doesn't make you want to rip your arm off and beat the computer with the wet end? I have to blow the score up to 200% and even then the slightest twitch of the mouse while dropping a snare note puts in a cross stick or wood block.

I've been using Guitar Pro to avoid this hassle, but it's very limited in its notation. But right now Finale seems virtually unusable.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
I'm trying to do a drum transcription in Finale Songwriter, and even disregarding the clunky 1998 interface, no matter what time signature I give a piece it wants 8 8th notes in each measure. The song I'm trying to transcribe is in 6/8. I end up with two eighth-note triplets and two floating eighth notes. How do I make it respect the time signature?

Also, is there a way to enter notes that doesn't make you want to rip your arm off and beat the computer with the wet end? I have to blow the score up to 200% and even then the slightest twitch of the mouse while dropping a snare note puts in a cross stick or wood block.

I've been using Guitar Pro to avoid this hassle, but it's very limited in its notation. But right now Finale seems virtually unusable.
A while back I wrote a post considering doing Finale work for a fee. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you an estimate. But as for your post, learning to use Finale is a long process. But once you get the basics, it seems to go quicker. I am familiar with the older versions as well as 2010 so hopefully my advice will work for your version too.

You can choose the time signature by opening up a new document and going through the setup wizard. But if you have the file open already, go up to the Time Signature tool. It should be on top of the page and have 4/4 in a box. Click on the time signature tool, then click on the measure you want the time signature change (or click the first measure for the whole piece). Backclick on number of beats until it shows 2 (for 2 dotted eighths). Forward click the beat duration until it shows 6/8. Now you are in 6/8 time.

For the problem with the rim/snare etc., this article should help.
http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/post/2009/10/15/The-Power-of-Finale-2010-Part-1-Simple-Entry-Percussion.aspx

Jeff

Fuo

Platinum Member
Yea I pretty much gave up on using the mouse. Its pretty easy if you stick to keyboard interface. Up/Down arrows to change what the note is, Numpad for changing note values (5 is 1/4 note, 4 is 1/8 note, etc). Shift-Alt-1, Shift-Alt-2, etc to change voices. Only time i use the mouse is for 'chords' (unison hits).